International Call ups - Ours and Theirs

I watched their highlights and the boy in the middle of the park looked a player annoyingly. Obviously its just 1 game so hopefully its a dream debut followed by utter dross. Him getting called up would be decent and would probably force their hand.

If all those players mentioned were away, I reckon both clubs would shake hands on the OF being called off and the league would probably allow it, given it’s their showpiece.

The other games could/would still be played.

If all those players mentioned were away, I reckon both clubs would shake hands on the OF being called off and the league would probably allow it, given it’s their showpiece.

This is probably the most sensible decision. It will never catch on!

It will be a staring contest to see who blinks first

I don't think they'll cancel. Our absences are far more significant - Aribo, Alfie + Roofe, along with a number only now coming back from injury. They'll think they have a great chance.

According to this article the Jamaica squad for the qualifiers is due to assemble on Monday (24 Jan) so any squad announcement will likely come immediately after their friendly tomorrow. Antonio, from West Ham, likely to spearhead their attack I'd imagine.

According to this article the Jamaica squad for the qualifiers is due to assemble on Monday (24 Jan) so any squad announcement will likely come immediately after their friendly tomorrow. Antonio, from West Ham, likely to spearhead their attack I'd imagine.

They dont have leave it late do they!

They dont have leave it late do they!
Indeed. And its not just Jamaica, with the likes of Japan and Australia still to do likewise. I'd like to think that if any of our players were potential call-ups then contact would have been made to enquire about fitness, vaccine status etc etc. So I'd expect the Club to have had a least an indication. Or maybe I've just too organised a mind for this football administration stuff ha ha. Surely the players get at least a warning they might be required?

Indeed. And its not just Jamaica, with the likes of Japan and Australia still to do likewise. I'd like to think that if any of our players were potential call-ups then contact would have been made to enquire about fitness, vaccine status etc etc. So I'd expect the Club to have had a least an indication. Or maybe I've just too organised a mind for this football administration stuff ha ha. Surely the players get at least a warning they might be required?
You would certainly think so. That seems to have happened with japan as they were able to say kyogo wouldn’t be going last week due to injury that nobody else knew was as bad so contact must have been made

Does anyone know when the squads for USA, Japan, Australia and Jamaica are likely to be announced? We know columbia already obviously but it would be good to know roughly what the state of play will be with both squads before the 2nd and to see if/when the club would need to look into a postponement. I would guess part of this decision will be made up depending on who they are missing as well as who we are.
They knew they would have zero callups hence the hurry for them to get the break brought forward plus the fact it gave them time to recover from injuries. Plenty of help from the authorities was alway going to happen.

What a shambles this winter break manipulating is turning out to be.

When are the SPFL and member clubs going to realise anything suggested by Celtic is only for their gain, and everything they touch turns to shit.
When we ask for a postponement should we desire?

Giovanni van Bronckhorst insists Alfredo Morelos will fly out for Colombia duty with his best wishes despite fears Rangers will be left short of Old Firm firepower.

The league leaders are due to take on their title rivals next month but Rangers fans are now fretting after learning they’ll be without their top scorer.

The Ibrox manager, who will also be missing Joe Aribo and potentially Kemar Roofe and James Sands due to international commitments, ruled out requesting a postponement of his side’s February 2 trip to Parkhead earlier this week.

And he gave no indication he’s having second thoughts after Morelos was called up for Colombia’s World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Argentina.

Record Sport understands there have been no approaches to the SPFL over a possible postponement.

Van Bronckhorst is delighted to see his in-from talisman back in Reinaldo Rueda’s squad – even if it means he’ll be left with only Fashion Sakala and Cedric Itten as forward options.

The Rangers boss said: “He has been in really good form, especially the last months for me since I came in so I’m really happy for him and also for Rangers that he has good momentum.

“When he’s playing well he gets called up for Colombia. So he won’t be with us for the coming weeks. Obviously you want to have your full squad for every game but at this moment we miss Aribo and Morelos.

“That’s not what you want but it’s the way it is. If you have international games during the league, it always gives you a difficult situation, not only for me or the club but also for players because they are stuck in between playing for their country and club.

“I know what the club means for Joe and Alfredo but as an international player I also know how important it is to be successful for your national team. It’s a battle you can’t win as a player.”

Van Bronckhorst did reiterate his stance that John Souttar won’t be making an early switch to Ibrox. But he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of new faces checking in before the end of January.

He said: “I said before, John is a Rangers player from next season on. That didn’t change in the last week so for this moment he won’t be joining us.

“But the window is still open for 11 days so anything can happen. For me, it’s also a little bit uncertain how the squad will look in 11 days. You have to be prepared.”

Gers kick off their Scottish Cup bid at home to Stirling Albion on Friday.

Gio could give kid midfielder Alex Lowry some action against the League Two side and he said: “Kemar Roofe will be involved, as is Leon Balogun.

For Ryan Jack it’s too early. Scott Arfield trained a little bit with the team today so hopefully he will join us at the beginning of next week. Steve Davis, hopefully somewhere next week as well.

This may not be how international callups work but if Roofe hasn't played for his club through injury then he shouldn't be doing long haul flights to meet up with Jamaica for a cap that may or may not happen. There should be rules about situations like that

Rogic has just been called up. At least he is out as he makes them tick going forward and, on form, loves a goal against us. Stupid dick that he is.

No Gerrard or McGregor last time out and we still stepped up and performed. No Alfie is a loss, however a backs to the wall OF game at the sty, host of players missing, written off, underdogs against the inventors of football and their space hopper of a manager? Bring it fucking on, all of it!

I watched their highlights and the boy in the middle of the park looked a player annoyingly. Obviously its just 1 game so hopefully its a dream debut followed by utter dross. Him getting called up would be decent and would probably force their hand.
Wait until he misplaced a pass in the first 5 minutes, his wee Japanese heart will crumble so badly that he’ll be chasing around crisp pokes to tidy up

Nothing from Gio suggests we are even considering it, if the likes of Davis and Arfield don’t come back successfully next week that may change. They already want it off, let them make all the noise and set some internal panic that we will play them anytime, any place with any team

Nothing from Gio suggests we are even considering it, if the likes of Davis and Arfield don’t come back successfully next week that may change. They already want it off, let them make all the noise and set some internal panic that we will play them anytime, any place with any team
After they watched our performance on Tuesday and the news that alfie is away, I am not sure they will want it off. We have injuries all over the shop and they are basically back at full strength minus kyogo. It may bite them in the arse but I would think they will be desperate for this game.

That might change if we make 2 signings and tunisia boaby nigeria though.

Ideally there’s at least two of the Japanese called up. The two that started other night

There’s simply no space to rearrange 5 or 6 games in total that the two clubs would have to then play
I can't see the game being called off now. Would they also miss the Hearts game if selected? I see Rogic is missing it so would presume so.

I don't think they'll cancel. Our absences are far more significant - Aribo, Alfie + Roofe, along with a number only now coming back from injury. They'll think they have a great chance.
We lose those players and our starting XI is affected badly - with the exception of Roofe, who hasn't featured lately. By this point though Balogun, Arfield, Davis at a minimum will be back in contention. Not like for like replacements obviously but certainly welcome additions from Tuesday night.

However, their team/squad cannot cope with as many absences so would be under more pressure to seek a postponement. To be honest, this is one that's actually already in the rule book so either club asking to rearrange is perfectly within their rights to do so.

They'll be without at least 1 of the Japanese I'd imagine. Can't see the US calling up the centre back.
Not so sure. Hate to admit it but CCV seems a really good player. I am not sure who they have as centre half as I never watch the USA but he would surely be a good option. Him going would weaken celtic significantly.

Not so sure. Hate to admit it but CCV seems a really good player. I am not sure who they have as centre half as I never watch the USA but he would surely be a good option. Him going would weaken celtic significantly.
Hopefully they do as anything that weakens them will be welcome. I don't think he's been called up in a few years though.

We have better replacements for ours than they do.

If CCV gets called up they are missing their 3 most important players + Turnbull and any of the other Japanese contingent.

I really have no worries, not ideal and our missing two are two of our best but we have a better squad - we really shouldn’t be worried.

We have Septic. Hearts and Hibs then Dortmund. If we want to win the league then we need to show we can and will win the first three. Dortmund to be honest would be good if we get through but not a disaster if we dont.
I worry after the way we played against the Dons and maybe we need a quality right winger and Helander and Jack back.
For me it is essential we win this league and while it is fine we are ahead at present Gio and our boys need to know just how important the league is to get the CL cash and ensure it does not go to them.
We now need Itten to get games and perform and score. I do think he can do it for us and should start against Stirling Albion to give him confidence.
Laughable and sadly reflective of the modern mindset which translates into every opinion attached to our club.
Gio got a run of great results using a certain style which was ignored-gets one indifferent result and the style is up for heavy criticism

We also moan the game would be corrupt if they got a call off and then we would likely take one due to a change in circumstances?

It’s unbearable reading this selfish goldfish approach to things.

I reckon he will to be honest, I’m sure their manager said he had been tracking his progress and was going to include more European based players.

Hope he is called up.
Someone also made the point that MLS is in the close season so might make more sense to call up European based players. Guess we'll find out soon.

Everything crossed that Tunisia beat Nigeria (sorry Joe)

I reckon he will to be honest, I’m sure their manager said he had been tracking his progress and was going to include more European based players.

Hope he is called up.
Agree. Does anyone know when the USMNT are naming their squad? be interesting to see if him or sands get a call.

Back