Interview: Patterson - Bassey - Zungu

Geez, that was uncomfortable. I was fully expecting one of them to blink a morse code message.

For the record, I think they're being held to a higher standard than any previous players (our 2 aside) or members of the public. Their Rangers careers shouldn't be over, Zungu aside and he was going back already.

It looked like Bassey and Paterson were close to tears. They know they have done wrong and you can clearly see they are suffering from it. For me they both should get another chance although I expect a big ban to come so most likely it will be next season. Zungu and Dapo will be away. The young keeper was probably going out on loan next season anyway.

Last edited:
It looked like Bassey and Paterson were close to tears. They know they have done right and you can clearly see they are suffering from it. For me they both should get another chance although I expect a big ban to come so most likely it will be next season. Zungu and Dapo will be away. The young keeper was probably going out on loan next season anyway.
I, like a good few others on here don’t believe there will be any external disciplinary action taken. I think Rangers have probably just dealt with it in house with a maximum fine and that’ll be that. I don’t think the SFA have any leg to stand on now when it comes to giving out bans for COVID breaches after Dubai.

If we can’t accept an apology from players apologise and show remorse then what’s the point. Same lot on here will be lauding Martindale at Livvy and rightly so. Cantona assaulted a fan, Ferguson did time, Suarez but three players, Keane deliberately ended a career, countless players on drugs, driving offences, etc etc but a few lads have a night round someone’s house to watch the boxing is where we draw the line? %^*& off. They were wrong. They should be punished. But let’s get some perspective instead of this reactionary nonsense and let’s not pretend if these were first team regulars we’d feel exactly the same. It’s dishonest and embarrassing.
You missed zinidin zidane trying to stop a players heart in a world cup final!oh mind you he got player of the tournament didn't he?

I, like a good few others on here don’t believe there will be any external disciplinary action taken. I think Rangers have probably just dealt with it in house with a maximum fine and that’ll be that. I don’t think the SFA have any leg to stand on now when it comes to giving out bans for COVID breaches after Dubai.
There is also that mess with the referee's that went to Greece, had contact with a CoVid infected individual and then were allowed to officiate a game when they should have been self isolating.

There is also that mess with the referee's that went to Greece, had contact with a CoVid infected individual and then were allowed to officiate a game when they should have been self isolating.
Yep, total shambles. They’ve fucked up on all levels with disciplinary measures so badly that they genuinely cannot do anything now.

I've read a few comments on twitter that Zungu didn't sound sorry. I think we should be wary of judging tone from short clips like this, especially where a foreign player is concerned.

I once gave a presentation to a group from Botswana. They sat emotionless throughout, didn't take any notes and didn't interrupt to ask questions. I thought they were interested. At the end, they asked loads of pertinent questions about points from the whole presentation and thanked me enthusiastically.

I don't think there's any need to judge Zungu further and it ill behoves us to say his apology was not sincere. Especially as he has probably fucked up a big career move.
Nobody bar you gives a f uck about Zungu.The trash bin awaits him and good f ucking riddance.

Really? They did, in fact, actually commit a crime. That will be precisely why they got fined.
I was furious with them at the time, but I agree with the new supporter sentiment, accept their apology and we move on.

NB: any remaining anger should be focused at this [bold]. As the vaccine rollout continues, the tyrannical and inherently evil laws prohibiting social contact have to go ASAP. The idea that gathering with friends is "in fact, actually commit(ting) a crime" is abhorrent.

Mate it wasn’t just the original thread. There were hysterical idiots still calling flor them to be sacked or shown the door as recently as this week.
I think they should be shown the door, or offered a tough route back, right now.

Bloody hell, that was like some sort of hostage video being released.

That should be the end of the matter. Bassey and Patterson have big futures at the club, no point cutting off our nose on this one. Get on with it, get them back in the squad, and move past it.

What crime bro?

amazing how many people are unable to define between law and guidelines.
Reads like a law to me,

A new law has come into force limiting social gatherings in Scotland to a maximum of six people from two households.

Coronavirus in Scotland: New rules limit gatherings to six people https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54140766

Thats not an endorsement of it by the way but it seems clear it’s been brought into Law. There’s maybe an argument about what constitutes a ‘crime’ and what constitutes ‘breaking the Law’ - but that’s for another day. It’s a Law not a Guideline as far as I can find - hence the FPN.

Your last line is a tad ironic.;)

Last edited:
Reads like a law to me,

A new law has come into force limiting social gatherings in Scotland to a maximum of six people from two households.

Coronavirus in Scotland: New rules limit gatherings to six people https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54140766

Thats not an endorsement of it by the way but it seems clear it’s been brought into Law.
They received a fixed penalty notice and accepted guilt/paid it. It's not even a question whether this was a legal transgression (unless you are a 'Sovereign Citizen' or similar).

Apology is utterly pointless. I’d rather they told us what the hell they were thinking at the time. That said, talk of getting rid of them is hysterical. They’ll get the chance to work their way back into the squad.

Unfortunately they cannot be trusted.
Let Zungu go in May and put the rest up for sale.
Disagree with this wholeheartedly, Patterson and bassey are potentially huge players for us in the future and could make us a lot of money or be part of a successful Rangers team.

They know they have done wrong and will be punished accordingly but to completely cast them aside seems folly.

Uncomfortable watching, can only imagine how it felt to do it. Could see it in Patterson’s eyes. Used as a deterrent to stop anyone else it?

Disagree with this wholeheartedly, Patterson and bassey are potentially huge players for us in the future and could make us a lot of money or be part of a successful Rangers team.

They know they have done wrong and will be punished accordingly but to completely cast them aside seems folly.
Only four players in our history have went from our youth team to become £1m+ transfers. Patterson needs us more than we need him. We could have lost £1m+ in progression prize money if we hadn't adjusted vs Antwerp.

I want him to stay with the team but a 6-month loan to reflect on what he could have lost isn't a bad idea to me.

Could see young Nathan welling up there, thought he was going to lose it and start blubbing. He looked genuinely upset - and I found it hard to watch. Still, had to be done at the end of the day. Youth, a curse sometimes. I almost forget I was one a long time ago - and some of the things I got away with - and some I didn't - would put what "the infamous 5" did, to shame. Keep the head down now and crack on with business !

Only four players in our history have went from our youth team to become £1m+ transfers. Patterson needs us more than we need him. We could have lost £1m+ in progression prize money if we hadn't adjusted vs Antwerp.

I want him to stay with the team but a 6-month loan to reflect on what he could have lost isn't a bad idea to me.
I know mate, what they done was ridiculous. In saying that if you have seen the video, those two boys look devastated and genuinely sorry.

It's up to Gerrard obviously but in my book, they are forgiven.

It was a very stupid thing to do but I don’t think the careers of the likes of Patterson, Bassey and Edmondson should be over due to one mistake. We accept the apology and move on IMHO

It is a bit different for Jones and Zungu who I feel have just blown their last opportunity with us now.
Edmondson scored for Derby last night

I know mate, what they done was ridiculous. In saying that if you have seen the video, those two boys look devastated and genuinely sorry.

It's up to Gerrard obviously but in my book, they are forgiven.
I agree that they look devastated, NP especially, but I am not sure a wee video is penance enough. It is humiliating for them, but rightly so.

I think that Patterson missing out on games/a medal probably is a harsh enough punishment. If all of the offenders are back next season, they have my total support.

Although I was thoroughly pissed off with what they done, I believe that we all deserve a second chance. Think about things you have done and regret and also people who gave you a second chance.
Whatever the gaffer and the club decide on as a punishment for them, we should accept it and move on.
We have too many good times ahead to get hung up on this.

They’ve done the right thing by apologising, which was clearly difficult for them, Patterson in particular. Let‘s draw a line under it and move on.

Both them looked close to greeting. They have made a big mistake they have been dealt with and punished. Time to draw a line under it and move on.
Correct. More than a few on here have forgotten what they were like when they were in their early twenties. (Either that or they were some right boring bastards)

Correct. More than a few on here have forgotten what they were like when they were in their early twenties. (Either that or they were some right boring bastards)
If I was on £xk a week to behave appropriately I likely would have. It's obviously more acceptable to be a balloon when your only responsibility is a £9 p/h job at Aldi.

My actions changed dramatically once I had a position/title. Patterson should have accepted the responsibility of his position alongside his wage/associated esteem.

He didn't.

I was initially angry about their behaviour but now starting to feel the whole episode has been blown out of proportion. No one caught Covid, yes they were stupid but the punishment has to fit the crime which was hardly a serious offence.
I do recognise that we were lucky that they never joined training with the squad as we would have had to play youths.

If I was on £xk a week to behave appropriately I likely would have. It's obviously more acceptable to be a balloon when your only responsibility is a £9 p/h job at Aldi.

My actions changed dramatically once I had a position/title. Patterson should have accepted the responsibility of his position alongside his wage/associated esteem.

He didn't.
That’s good for you. Well done. Many others take a little longer to grow up and get their shit together. I’m not going to castigate anyone for the mistakes of youth, especially when they’ve been appropriately punished and apologised for their actions.

Its irrelevant what they might be worth, thats not an excuse to keep them.
Imo, Bassey will never be a regular first team player, as for Paterson - he obviously has the west of Scotland attitude problem as he does what he wants not his boss or club that pays his wages.

Back