Podcast Interview with James Bisgrove

All sounds great. My only worry is that we seem to be doing everything in collaboration with levy and castore. I understand why we are doing it that way but I would much rather we had done all this in house which would have been achievable. Instead we are tying everything into long contracts and we become reliant on other businesses.

Maybe - but we would have to take on the responsibility of hiring the staff and managing them and the facility. We might lose a slice of the profits but we've outsourced it - they then get a cut but they take on the grief and the risks. Sure Bisgrove doesn't want to be worrying about hiring and firing kitchen porters - that's Levy's problem (and area of speciality).

Maybe - but we would have to take on the responsibility of hiring the staff and managing them and the facility. We might lose a slice of the profits but we've outsourced it - they then get a cut but they take on the grief and the risks. Sure Bisgrove doesn't want to be worrying about hiring and firing kitchen porters - that's Levy's problem (and area of speciality).

I totally get what your saying and as someone involved in hospitality and events I know how tempting it must be to outsource and just take a slice of the profits. My main issue is that you very quickly lose control and its inevitable that the product and service deteriorates in the long run. These companies pay a lot of money for the contracts so they need to screw everything down to get their turn off it. The contracts are always really long which means we have no flexibility and we quickly end up like azure

With the money we are giving up, we could have easily set up our own catering and events team, We could have easily used all the derelict offices within the broomie to host it. It would take a bit of effort but the results and profits in the long run would have been well worth it. Rangers are one of the few clubs in the world with a fanbase that will continue to support and pump millions in every year.

Using levy to run the new bar at the existing megastore would be another mistake. Such an easy to space to operate a bar, it would be mad to involve a 3rd party

Last edited:
I totally get what your saying and as someone involved in hospitality and events I know how tempting it must be to outsource and just take a slice of the profits. My main issue is that you very quickly lose control and its inevitable that the product and service deteriorates in the long run. These companies pay a lot of money for the contracts so they need to screw everything down to get their turn off it. The contracts are always really long which means we have no flexibility and we quickly end up like azure

With the money we are giving up, we could have easily set up our own catering and events team, We could have easily used all the derelict offices within the broomie to host it. It would take a bit of effort but the results and profits in the long run would have been well worth it. Rangers are one of the few clubs in the world with a fanbase that will continue to support and pump millions in every year.

Using levy to run the new bar at the existing megastore would be another mistake. Such an easy to space to operate a bar, it would be mad to involve a 3rd party
Going by the interview with 4 lads it's not just a slice of the profits. "74% of all revenue" goes to Rangers.

Nope...sorry if levy have clients like Chelsea, Spurs etc I'm wanting us to go down the best experience possible. Not ronnie from the Barras with a few ice buckets full of bud and a firestick for the football. Need to market the club properly and expand the club and make use of third party ventures and improve everything we have at the club

Nope...sorry if levy have clients like Chelsea, Spurs etc I'm wanting us to go down the best experience possible. Not ronnie from the Barras with a few ice buckets full of bud and a firestick for the football. Need to market the club properly and expand the club and make use of third party ventures and improve everything we have at the club

The difference with Chelsea etc is that match day revenue isn’t what sustains their clubs but it does for us so we need to maximise what we get. If the catering at Ibrox at the moment is reflective of levy’s standards then we are in trouble over the length of the contract. The food and service is a solid 5/10 and always will be. I know the industry inside and out and I know the crap they are serving up so don’t let them fool you that they are some elite catering outfit. They are out to screw as much money out of this contract as is possible

I have seen levy’s job adverts and all they are doing is setting up what we could have easily done ourselves.

the key to all these things is a competent, well trained, fairly paid enthusiastic staff and for the limited use hours that might be hard to find.

Every club is - or at least, was - involved in crypto of some kind.

Its very nature is volatile so it’s not a surprise to see how it worked out.

I’m not sure how that can labeled a mistake.

Also, Australia happened. People need to let it go when Bisgrove appears to be succeeding in many other ways.
Personally I don't actually care about who sponsors us, so long as they pay the rate we want.

There is no product that I'm going to decide to buy cause it's on a football top - not NFTs, not a boiler, tyres, crap beer, crap cider, or specific gambling companies.

In fact, ideally they'd pay the fee then go bust so we can resell the space.

The difference with Chelsea etc is that match day revenue isn’t what sustains their clubs but it does for us so we need to maximise what we get. If the catering at Ibrox at the moment is reflective of levy’s standards then we are in trouble over the length of the contract. The food and service is a solid 5/10.
Be a disaster if we brought it in house. And it's not going to happen anyway.

Be a disaster if we brought it in house. And it's not going to happen anyway.

Wouldn’t be a disaster if you employed the right staff leading it. We have so much space and potential to run things ourselves but we lack any vision. It’s just lazy short term thinking.

the key to all these things is a competent, well trained, fairly paid enthusiastic staff and for the limited use hours that might be hard to find.

We are in a city with literally 1000s of well educated students all looking for ad hoc jobs. Pay a decent amount and staffing should never be a problem

He’s had a positive impact on the bottom line numbers but he’s had a hand in a few missteps as well (the dodgy Crypto sponsorships, the Australia friendly etc).
Harsh to pin that on him tbf as he would've only presented it to the board & then it would be up to them to sign off on it.

He's had a big part of transforming the club commercially. The work they have done off the park cannot be underestimated.

The difference with Chelsea etc is that match day revenue isn’t what sustains their clubs but it does for us so we need to maximise what we get. If the catering at Ibrox at the moment is reflective of levy’s standards then we are in trouble over the length of the contract. The food and service is a solid 5/10 and always will be. I know the industry inside and out and I know the crap they are serving up so don’t let them fool you that they are some elite catering outfit. They are out to screw as much money out of this contract as is possible

I have seen levy’s job adverts and all they are doing is setting up what we could have easily done ourselves.
The food, drinks and service in the sky lounge is excellent.

I also seen an improvement in the food offering in club/bar72 the last few times I was in there.

The food, drinks and service in the sky lounge is excellent.

I also seen an improvement in the food offering in club/bar72 the last few times I was in there.

The food is fine in club72 and the lounge definately improved from years ago but below the standard of what you would want. Last game I was at was old firm and the rolls were terrible as was the macaroni after the game, was just tasteless and runny. Not been yet to sky lounge yet so can’t comment but it better be a lot better than the crap that used to be served there before as it wasn’t much better than a Wetherspoons. Also the fact you have to have a set 2/3 courses for around £30 means that after the initial rush it will be back to being dead during the week

Last edited:
The food is fine in club72 and the lounge definately improved from years ago but below the standard of what you would want. Last game I was at was old firm and the rolls were terrible as was the macaroni after the game, was just tasteless and runny. Not been yet to sky lounge yet so can’t comment but it better be a lot better than the crap that used to be served there before as it wasn’t much better than a Wetherspoons. Also the fact you have to have a set 2/3 courses for around £30 means that after the initial rush it will be back to being dead during the week
Respectfully i disagree with pretty much all of your points there.

Strange how people see things differently i suppose.

The board would expect him to provide a balanced, thought out and checked paper for anything they sign off. That would include expecting due diligence and risk assessment. He clearly never carried out much of a risk assessment on this, as the impact it had was terrible. There was clearly no due diligence on the sportemongo deal either.

Im not against the guy, just don't think the job he has done is quite as good as is made out. European Cup final, 150th year was always gonna be record breaking. If he is able to increase revenue next year without just increasing ticket prices then I would say that's an achievement. A decent money main shirt sponsor for one thing would be an achievement on its own.
And yet, they still agreed to it..

It’s his job to identify opportunities it’s for the board to sign them off or not however he’s performing well in his role at our club delivering significant funds we’ve never had previously.
We started on a low position so he had done well to build from that position

The hard part is at renegotiation can we get bigger and stronger brands with more money.

My gers is at it basic concept the right way to go for ticketing for fans away from home.

It's just being abused by the commercial team for things that didn't need to be included which I think will fall off a bit then points will be adjusted for more silly v things

We started on a low position so he had done well to build from that position

The hard part is at renegotiation can we get bigger and stronger brands with more money.

My gers is at it basic concept the right way to go for ticketing for fans away from home.

It's just being abused by the commercial team for things that didn't need to be included which I think will fall off a bit then points will be adjusted for more silly v things
My Gers has certainly come in for a lot of criticism and that’s hardly a surprise. There certainly seems a cack handed approach to ticketing etc. Having said that I noticed on another thread someone complaining about attempting to get to gold. As a 60 something I’m aware that tickets for bigger marches has always been an issue. Supporters clubs who take tickets for every match should always be rewarded. Unfortunately as the club increases revenue and richer bears in hospitality pay big bucks they expect tickets due to how much they put in. Families who buy tickets strips my Gers and everything else probably support our club more than anyone when you consider how much of their disposable income goes to Rangers. Been there myself when I was younger so I completely get it. It’s a complete no win situation. Back on topic whoever recruited Bisgrove undoubtedly helped our finances immensely and that is his job description. Without those millions we would be in financial difficulties with little chance of competing with the unwashed from the east end.

My Gers has certainly come in for a lot of criticism and that’s hardly a surprise. There certainly seems a cack handed approach to ticketing etc. Having said that I noticed on another thread someone complaining about attempting to get to gold. As a 60 something I’m aware that tickets for bigger marches has always been an issue. Supporters clubs who take tickets for every match should always be rewarded. Unfortunately as the club increases revenue and richer bears in hospitality pay big bucks they expect tickets due to how much they put in. Families who buy tickets strips my Gers and everything else probably support our club more than anyone when you consider how much of their disposable income goes to Rangers. Been there myself when I was younger so I completely get it. It’s a complete no win situation. Back on topic whoever recruited Bisgrove undoubtedly helped our finances immensely and that is his job description. Without those millions we would be in financial difficulties with little chance of competing with the unwashed from the east end.
There definately a balance to be had with it all especially around who gets tickets the more hospitality do the less normal fab does the atmosphere will suffer

When we went to Liverpool they have such a sanitised support no standing up, overly singing etc It's was pretty weird. The epl has driven that and the increase in hospitality sections.

There was 2 boys kicked out in their corner closer to us

Two warnings then were kicked out for standing up and shouting back at us

We don't want that

There definately a balance to be had with it all especially around who gets tickets the more hospitality do the less normal fab does the atmosphere will suffer

When we went to Liverpool they have such a sanitised support no standing up, overly singing etc It's was pretty weird. The epl has driven that and the increase in hospitality sections.

There was 2 boys kicked out in their corner closer to us

Two warnings then were kicked out for standing up and shouting back at us

We don't want that
100% take the Union Bears out and our ground would be like Man City.

And yet, they still agreed to it..
Assume you have never presented to a board, their job isn't to get involved in the minutia of your report, but to assume you are recommending based on the factors I mentioned in my post. That's why they employ 'experts' on high salaries.

Assume you have never presented to a board, their job isn't to get involved in the minutia of your report, but to assume you are recommending based on the factors I mentioned in my post. That's why they employ 'experts' on high salaries.
I’ve done it loads of times. If it was such a formality as you infer, then there would be little point in presenting. No doubt he would have put the case across, but ultimately it would be Robertson giving approval.

It is also a very different situation to a regular business, given the emotions involved. Bisgrove might be an ‘expert’ in his field, but it doesn’t mean he has a handle on the idiosyncrasies of the Rangers fan base compared to a typical consumer.

Ultimately, he didn’t sign Australia off; and even if his argument was persuasive, the responsibility isn’t his.

They have this at Man City. Just put your phone or card next to it . Definately the future. Saves bar staff
No idea why we don't have vending machines or self serve drinks stations in the concourses. Would save time and increase spending.

I’ve done it loads of times. If it was such a formality as you infer, then there would be little point in presenting. No doubt he would have put the case across, but ultimately it would be Robertson giving approval.

It is also a very different situation to a regular business, given the emotions involved. Bisgrove might be an ‘expert’ in his field, but it doesn’t mean he has a handle on the idiosyncrasies of the Rangers fan base compared to a typical consumer.

Ultimately, he didn’t sign Australia off; and even if his argument was persuasive, the responsibility isn’t his.
And you think if your proposal had caused reputational damage the board would assume responsibility? I know in my case I would have and rightly so as the person who had prepared the proposal and made informed recommendations.

You think its the boards job to be in touch with fan emotion? For most, they have far more important business interests than Rangers. Maybe not nice for us as fans, but that's just the way it is with football clubs.

And you think if your proposal had caused reputational damage the board would assume responsibility? I know in my case I would have and rightly so as the person who had prepared the proposal and made informed recommendations.

You think its the boards job to be in touch with fan emotion? For most, they have far more important business interests than Rangers. Maybe not nice for us as fans, but that's just the way it is with football clubs.
The reality is you have no idea what was in the report from Bisgrove so your argument is based on total assumption.
Maybe his report said that this game could earn us £xxx but the downside was the risk to our reputation and of fan revolt. The Board weighed up the pros and cons and decided to go with it.
Without knowing the facts and details we can’t put the blame on Bisgrove.

The reality is you have no idea what was in the report from Bisgrove so your argument is based on total assumption.
Maybe his report said that this game could earn us £xxx but the downside was the risk to our reputation and of fan revolt. The Board weighed up the pros and cons and decided to go with it.
Without knowing the facts and details we can’t put the blame on Bisgrove.
Could say the same for all the praise he gets for the money he has brought in, we should heap that on the board too, no? Can't really have it both ways.

No idea why we don't have vending machines or self serve drinks stations in the concourses. Would save time and increase spending.

100% agree especially with food ones. The only issue with drinks ones is that you couldn’t do cans so would have to be self serve fountain soft drinks and I wouldn’t trust the idiots in the support not to rip the piss or make a right mess. Sad but true

I would say in our case, it’s the other way round - and the Board are there as a filter for fans emotions. Otherwise, what is the point in them being involved in anything? They’re just holding up the process.

You’re talking about the Board as if they’re investors only. Investors put a Board in place for exactly the reasons you’re discussing - particularly in a business as small as ours.

Could say the same for all the praise he gets for the money he has brought in, we should heap that on the board too, no? Can't really have it both ways.
Not really as Bisgrove finds the opportunities and presents them to the board. Up to board to accept or reject based on information provided by Bisgrove. If they get it wrong it falls on them provided Bisgrove has given them the facts but I don’t think it then follows that they should get the credit for all the opportunities identified and presented by Bisgrove that they say yes to

The food in Club72 has improved massively and I agree with @LoganBear, there wasn't much wrong with the offering at the OF game.

The food in Club72 has improved massively and I agree with @LoganBear, there wasn't much wrong with the offering at the OF game.

It definately has improved absolutely no doubt but I think the food now tastes a lot better for people now it’s included. If I was paying for it like before I wouldn’t be as keen as it’s still fairly average although perfectly adequate.

I don’t get this love in for Bisgrove, it us the supporters that are breaking records on commercial revenue. Theres nothing difficult in setting up revenue streams for a support desperate to fund our club anyway we can.

The board would expect him to provide a balanced, thought out and checked paper for anything they sign off. That would include expecting due diligence and risk assessment. He clearly never carried out much of a risk assessment on this, as the impact it had was terrible. There was clearly no due diligence on the sportemongo deal either.

Im not against the guy, just don't think the job he has done is quite as good as is made out. European Cup final, 150th year was always gonna be record breaking. If he is able to increase revenue next year without just increasing ticket prices then I would say that's an achievement. A decent money main shirt sponsor for one thing would be an achievement on its own.
Sport Mongo paid us.

I’m desperate to know what was missed during DD?

I except crypto is volatile but that’s hardly a secret.

Back