Interview with Michael Beale

Bonnyloyal

By
Steve Beacom
  • 06:00, 14 NOV 2018
Rangers coach Michael Beale has revealed that he would be a manager by now had it not been for Steven Gerrard offering him the chance to move to Ibrox.

Beale has been an influential figure in Gerrard’s Rangers revolution and says he is loving working for the Glasgow giants and the former England captain.

Providing a fascinating insight into Gerrard’s managerial style, 38-year-old Beale says that the Liverpool legend is a humble person filled with integrity and what fans see in media interviews is what players get in the dressing room.

Beale also pointed out that it has only been since he moved to Scotland that he has really got to know Gerrard despite the pair of them working at various under-age levels for Liverpool.

“Steven is a very humble person, he understands and respects the work it took him to get to the level he did as a player and now he is putting everything in to being a manager,” said Beale.

“I think he is old fashioned in certain elements, he’s hard working with lots of integrity and that’s how I have found him as a person.

“He also handles the media very well. The person you see in the media is the person I see every day. He is not living a different persona in front of the spotlight.

“Although we were both at Liverpool we didn’t really have a big relationship before he invited me to come to work with him at Rangers.

“I have been over the moon with how he has managed me and the creativity and freedom he allows me to have.”

In between two coaching spells at Liverpool, where he was greatly respected by Jurgen Klopp, Beale became assistant manager of Sao Paulo in Brazil for nine months.

The South American experience made him consider entering management himself until Gerrard’s request to join him at Rangers. Now Beale says he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else suggesting he would welcome the opportunity to continue working with Gerrard long term.

“I was probably destined to take a manager’s job after Sao Paulo but now I’m working with Steven I’m not so sure that’s the pathway I’ll take,” he said.

“I feel like I’ve found a manager that gives me a lot of freedom and autonomy in how I work.

“He’ll go on and be a fantastic manager as long as he wishes to be a manager and hopefully I’ll be alongside him for that journey

“I’m really enjoying it at Rangers. It is a fantastic club and a huge club worldwide. We sell out every home game and take great support away.

“I’m proud of that aspect and the second part I’m proud about is the people I’m working with - Steven Gerrard and Gary McAllister were two players who when I was a kid were role models as players for their levels of performances. To now be working alongside them and be respected as a coach and someone who can help the team is fantastic.”

Beale, who earlier this month collected his Pro Licence coaching badge after working with the Irish FA in Belfast, has also worked with Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers when the pair were displaying their coaching qualities at Chelsea.

He added: “I probably started coaching as a 22-year-old and I was 38 last month so it has been 16 years to get to this point

“When you first start coaching the Pro Licence is the pinnacle. It is certainly a good achievement but when you get there you realise you have a lot more to do.”

For now that means making Rangers successful again. He says a vital factor at the start of the Gerrard reign was for the fans to buy into what they were trying to achieve.

“The first thing we had to do was get the fans and club in one line. That was really important coming in as a new management team,” stated Beale.

“We wanted to turn over some of the players and bring in some of our own. We’ve had a first window which included 18 or 19 players leaving the club and 15 coming in.

“We have played a lot of games already and if we had said we’d be here now when we came in it wouldn’t be perfect but it has been more positive than anything else.

“We have to keep evolving over time and mix the football we play in the Europa League with the football we have to play in Scotland every weekend.

“We are not about making any big statements about where we are going. All I will say is that every day we are working really hard together and the one thing we want to do is unite the fans and the club.

Speak to Rangers players about Beale and the response is positive. They say his training sessions are sharp and enjoyable. One specific area he works on is attack and building a relationship between strikers Alfredo Morelos and Kyle Lafferty.

“How we split our training in terms of units, I spend a lot of time with forwards and wide players,” he says.

“Like all the staff I’m trying to build a relationship on the pitch with Kyle and Alfredo which I think could be very fruitful for the club.

“I think they have a good relationship off the pitch. Kyle is also very interested in why we do things. I work on the group with tactical game plan for the next game and Kyle is always asking me questions.

“He is at that lovely stage where he is in his early 30s and he is very intrigued by the game. Watch this space he may enter the world I’m in at this moment in time. He has added a lot to our group that people won’t see when they watch games. Behind the scenes he has added personality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have listened to him at a CPD event in Stirling. Was one of the reasons I went to hear about his experience abroad. He is someone who loves football no matter what age groups and very down to earth guy with a nice family who support him. He went to Brazil and had to learn to speak Portuguese when he got there.

This management and coaching staff will absolutely get us back to the top. It might not be this season, but I have complete faith we have the right guys to get us back where we belong.

One of these guys will be Gerrards Walter when the day comes.. Aways thought Gary Mac but you never know, what is important is that who ever it is will bring a level of contingency where not a lot will change ala NIAR days.
Personally I think we have a manager and staff that is envied across the league, a touch of class and more than anything else knowledge and understanding. They also "get it"

Very open and honest appraisal from Michael Beale there. It’s important all the management team are enjoying life in Scotland and embracing the challenge.

We realise we have a big task ahead of us but the management team realise we all need to be on same page and the fans are certainly doing our bit and we are definitely improving on and off the park with the extra revenue from EL run.

I hope we can continue to improve and get the mentally challengeds a real fight for the league this season.

Back