Interviews in London

BigYin72

Its been reported that again, we are having interviews in London

Wouldn't it be wise to have them somewhere private up here so they could have a look around and see if they are happy with the not so nice place (west of scotland) we live in?

Why are we doing this when Pedro and Warburton obviously didn't enjoy life in glasgow as any chance they got they shot off home, i.e straight after a friday night game or any international break?

Neither of the two previous managers moved their families up here !!!

A blatant indication they dont plan on staying !

If it's Moyes he's from drumchapel he doesn't need a tour . Mcinnes knows the place well too .

I think it's down to those two .

Wouldn't it be wise to have them somewhere private up here so they could have a look around and see if they are happy with the not so nice place (west of scotland) we live in?

Why are we doing this when Pedro and Warburton obviously didn't enjoy life in glasgow as any chance they got they shot off home, i.e straight after a friday night game or any international break?

I heard the same about interviews in London. Did you hear it also or just from here?

Can you blame managers from not moving their families with them? To be honest neither would I. Not with the way football is now.

There are plenty of instances where players haven't moved the families and done perfectly well at clubs. Weir with us is an example.

Can you blame managers from not moving their families with them? To be honest neither would I. Not with the way football is now.

There are plenty of instances where players haven't moved the families and done perfectly well at clubs. Weir with us is an example.

Not a manager though!

'A player is responsible for themselves, a manager is responsible for everyone in the team'

A quote from Graeme Souness

Not a manager though!

'A player is responsible for themselves, a manager is responsible for everyone in the team'

A quote from Graeme Souness

My point is mate that in general managers spend a small amount of time at any one club in the current environment. I have no issue with them not moving their families around especially if they have kids doing exams and stuff at school.

I do take your point on Pedro though, the interview after the St Johnstone game made it perfectly clear he couldn't wait to get away from Scotland.

My point is mate that in general managers spend a small amount of time at any one club in the current environment. I have no issue with them not moving their families around especially if they have kids doing exams and stuff at school.

I do take your point on Pedro though, the interview after the St Johnstone game made it perfectly clear he couldn't wait to get away from Scotland.

Uck to be honest as long as they start winnig trophies and beating celtic the whole team and manager can do what they want haha!

Its amazing the stuff you discuss when we aren't at our usual winning ways

Not moving their family shows a lack of commitment imho.
Isn't Mourinho still living in a Manchester hotel while his family is still in London? As another poster said, might be more to do with not disrupting kids education than a lack of commitment or not liking the area.

Most managers and players will not move their families these days, due to the revolting door the game has began. Why would you want to move everything and everyone only to be moving again if things don’t go right straight away.

As long as we’re winning on the park,don’t care where the managers family reside.

What did he say in this interview? Must’ve missed it.

I really don't like us going down this route. Interviews, presentations - blah blah - we did this process last time and look at a. How long it took to make a decision and b. Who we ended up with.

We should have had identified wèeks ago 3 outstanding candidates who fit criteria of Rangers manager and go after them aggressively in order.

I can only imagine this process will probably lead to another long wait whilst the boardroom fight over preferred candidate and we end up with another appointment that is as baffling and underwhelming as the last one.

It's no a big deal, easier to be anonymous in London as for moving families also not a big deal, loads of people work extended times away from home now.

Most players and managers come here only as a stepping stone to England now. I personally don’t like it, however that’s just the way it is.

Does this always happen with managers jobs in football? I'd always assumed clubs headhunted managers ratger than it being an interview process like the 'real' world.

I really don't like us going down this route. Interviews, presentations - blah blah - we did this process last time and look at a. How long it took to make a decision and b. Who we ended up with.

We should have had identified wèeks ago 3 outstanding candidates who fit criteria of Rangers manager and go after them aggressively in order.

I can only imagine this process will probably lead to another long wait whilst the boardroom fight over preferred candidate and we end up with another appointment that is as baffling and underwhelming as the last one.
Pedro got the job based on Greame Park's friendship with Pedro Mendes, who is Pedro's agent. Plus.... He interviewd well and had good references. But his record wasn't of the standard needed. You can blame Greame Park for letting Pedro Mendes talk him into hiring Pedro as manager.

If interviews were conducted up here the press would be all over it. Locals would tip them off.

London offers a degree of anonomity
Agreed. And also to wine and dine potential managers in London. Happened last year, and was told it was happening again. Wouldn't surprise me if a few foreign managers was invited over.

Does this always happen with managers jobs in football? I'd always assumed clubs headhunted managers ratger than it being an interview process like the 'real' world.
Apparently they headhunted McInnes but the rumour is they're indeed in London. So if they're indeed in London, it would rule out McInnes as the favourite in my opinion as we have not made contact and we're interviewing others.

Apparently they headhunted McInnes but the rumour is they're indeed in London. So if they're indeed in London, it would rule out McInnes as the favourite in my opinion as we have not made contact and we're interviewing others.

So you can categorically state as fact that we have made no contact with McInnes, his management or Aberdeen?

Ok I just wanted to make sure, it would appear from your post above that you were stating it as fact.
Nope, I'm not. I have no inside knowledge. But if you apply logic to the situation, the fact we have not heard anything regarding an approach to Aberdeen tells us everything. Rangers would need to seek permission from Aberdeen to talk to McInnes. They'd have blabbed it to the papers for sure.

Nope, I'm not. I have no inside knowledge. But if you apply logic to the situation, the fact we have not heard anything regarding an approach to Aberdeen tells us everything. Rangers would need to seek permission from Aberdeen to talk to McInnes. They'd have blabbed it to the papers for sure.

I'm actually with you on this, if it was him the official approach would have been made and we'd either be speaking to him now or we would have been told to beat it. That would have been reported.

It would also be a bit of a slap in the face for us if our target would prefer to stay at Aberdeen. Anyway I hope its sorted sooner rather than later.

FFS I hope Robertson is nowhere near the interviews. He strikes me as a nice wee bloke who’s been promoted well above his capabilities.

No club, especially in Scotland, is going to allow a manager to go for an interview. Imagine the uproar if it’s leaked that we’d interviewed McInnes, McCann and Wright - and none got the job.

Football manage
Search & Identify. Headhunt & Review Applications. Shortlist & Interview. Offer. Hire.

This is what happens in all mid-senior recruitment in all industries including football management.[/QUOT
Pedro got the job based on Greame Park's friendship with Pedro Mendes, who is Pedro's agent. Plus.... He interviewd well and had good references. But his record wasn't of the standard needed. You can blame Greame Park for letting Pedro Mendes talk him into hiring Pedro as manager.

Yes but the process was way too long and I can only imagine it is because there was a general lack of consensus around the board and I fear the same again.

I don't agree that football management is the same as any industry. We know ourselves the good and the bad football managers out there. I'm sure the board are aware of those with the pedigree and track record that fits the criteria. All I'm saying is identify who you want, make an approach and if a no move on to the next one. A good football manager will encourage those suitors to come to them - not the other way around.

How can an interview process accommodate those already in jobs in some cases? McInnes can't be interviewed surely (Aberdeen wouldn't allow it)

I'm actually with you on this, if it was him the official approach would have been made and we'd either be speaking to him now or we would have been told to beat it. That would have been reported.

It would also be a bit of a slap in the face for us if our target would prefer to stay at Aberdeen. Anyway I hope its sorted sooner rather than later.
Precisely, which is why I am skeptical about the supposed "McInnes is the next manager 100%" brigade. The rumour I heard was they was doing interviews in London. Maybe others have heard rhe same? But if that is true, baring in mind we did interviews in London last year before appointing Pedro, then it makes you wonder why, if their main target is McInnes would they go all the way down to London to conduct interviews?

It seems to me, if that rumour is correct we have invited candidates and will interview the selected few and then pick one. Just like last year. Allen said we will be doing our due diligence and taking our time. That doesn't scream we have our number one and we're going for him. That basically means they're open minded, willing to listen to all candidates and chose one who is befitting with the skills, talent and behaviour of a Rangers manager.

On the flip side though, what if we jumped for McInnes and then (extreme example) Klopp, Ranieri, Advocaat or another successful experienced coach became available and says they’d have wanted the job.

The club has a duty to get the best man, and while as obvious as McInnes might be they wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t have a look around first.

Football manage

Yes but the process was way too long and I can only imagine it is because there was a general lack of consensus around the board and I fear the same again.

I don't agree that football management is the same as any industry. We know ourselves the good and the bad football managers out there. I'm sure the board are aware of those with the pedigree and track record that fits the criteria. All I'm saying is identify who you want, make an approach and if a no move on to the next one. A good football manager will encourage those suitors to come to them - not the other way around.

How can an interview process accommodate those already in jobs in some cases? McInnes can't be interviewed surely (Aberdeen wouldn't allow it)

' The good and the bad football managers'?

Le Guen? McCoist? Warburton? Caixinha?

Not quite that straight forward is it?

Football manage

Or maybe we don't have a preferred candidate like is being broadcasted? The board may have ideas but, they may want to see who they can attract by doing it this way. I get your point and everything but maybe this is a way to see who really is interested. It doesn't seem like it's a British only manager they're looking for, if they've invited all candidates etc?

Precisely, which is why I am skeptical about the supposed "McInnes is the next manager 100%" brigade. The rumour I heard was they was doing interviews in London. Maybe others have heard rhe same? But if that is true, baring in mind we did interviews in London last year before appointing Pedro, then it makes you wonder why, if their main target is McInnes would they go all the way down to London to conduct interviews?

It seems to me, if that rumour is correct we have invited candidates and will interview the selected few and then pick one. Just like last year. Allen said we will be doing our due diligence and taking our time. That doesn't scream we have our number one and we're going for him. That basically means they're open minded, willing to listen to all candidates and chose one who is befitting with the skills, talent and behaviour of a Rangers manager.

We should already be aware of who the outstanding candidates - not hard to narrow it down based on criteria. All the data (just like players) is readily available.
You don't interview players before signing them , and a football manger shouldn't be either - their skills, qualities, track record and reputation are widely known and what should form the basis of identifying candidates.

Based on this board's previous appointments, I do genuinely fear we are going to end up with again an underwhelming, head-scratching appointment again and listen to interviewa from Robertson telling us how the new man interviewed well blah blah.

On the flip side though, what if we jumped for McInnes and then (extreme example) Klopp, Ranieri, Advocaat or another successful experienced coach became available and says they’d have wanted the job.

The club has a duty to get the best man, and while as obvious as McInnes might be they wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t have a look around first.
Klopp and some of those names are unrealistic due to the wage they would command. But I get your point. McInnes is not the best candidate, even if you lool at Pardew, McClaren etc. He certainly isn't better than Preud'homme and I can say that as a fact, just look at that man's record.

You're right, the board have a duty to the club and the supporters to get the best manager possible. Is McInnes the best manager we can attract? No he is not. This is why I do not believe McInnes is the number one target for Rangers. There is no number one target, the board look like if the rumours are correct doing what they did last year. Inviting candidates over to London for an interview then selecting a manager who is best equipped to be the Rangerw manager. By that I mean, tactically good, player development, man management has to be top drawer, experience, being able to deal with the pressure and probably most importantly, being a winner. That's something Warburton and even Pedro wasn't, despite Pedro winning a title in Mexico under a bizarre structure over there. A winner meaning, been to clubs, won trophies there and did it at another club.

We should already be aware of who the outstanding candidates - not hard to narrow it down based on criteria. All the data (just like players) is readily available.
You don't interview players before signing them , and a football manger shouldn't be either - their skills, qualities, track record and reputation are widely known and what should form the basis of identifying candidates.

Based on this board's previous appointments, I do genuinely fear we are going to end up with again an underwhelming, head-scratching appointment again and listen to interviewa from Robertson telling us how the new man interviewed well blah blah.
You may have data on a manager ans what they're like. But an interview can be seen to judge the characteristics of a person with the way they act and talk, what is their vision. Stuff like that is why the board probably are interviewing. To get a better feel for a manager they deem Rangers standard.

Pedro wife came here to live with him i remember him saying when hes in training ground all day his wife is in house bored .and who wouldnt want to get away to portugal for few days if its freezing here

Do people think the club are calling up managers on skype and sending them Ibrox tour DVD's to see if they like it or not before they have an interview? It's common practice as it will be much more convenient for the majority of the managers to go there instead of flying up to Glasgow and you don't have to worry about the press being in your face when you arrive simply for an interview. I know Liverpool do their business in London and they're a hell of a bigger draw than us. It's not a big deal and people are looking far too much into it

Pedro had his wife with him.

Pedro Mendes isn't Caixinha's agent.

Back