Interviews in London

We don’t live in the age of the horse and cart.
FaceTime,Skype,Aeroplanes etc have transformed communication etc.
Two things.
1 How much does a manager of a big club see their family anyway. Apart from matches (Home,away and in Europe) he will be at functions, awards ceremonies and taking in other games.
2 Transport is so easy now they can still commute home when required.
Slightly opposite view: Teddy Sheringham lived in London when he played at Man Utd. He flew up every day.

Search & Identify. Headhunt & Review Applications. Shortlist & Interview. Offer. Hire.

This is what happens in all mid-senior recruitment in all industries including football management.

Difference is we can't afford to gamble on the manager who has the best PowerPoint presentation again this time.

He isn't, his actual agent was in the press the other day saying we were preventing him getting jobs in Mexico.
I read a bit of that. You're maybe right. Usually managers are clients of a agents firm, and the firm have a head agent or director who is like the boss so to speak.

When Pedro was at the Piggery, I'm sure they said he was with his agent Pedro Mendes who was sitting beside him. Maybe I'm wrong but like I said, Pedro is history and not my concern anymore despite him being a nice guy. I'm focused solely on Rangers and our new manager.

Klopp and some of those names are unrealistic due to the wage they would command. But I get your point. McInnes is not the best candidate, even if you lool at Pardew, McClaren etc. He certainly isn't better than Preud'homme and I can say that as a fact, just look at that man's record.

You're right, the board have a duty to the club and the supporters to get the best manager possible. Is McInnes the best manager we can attract? No he is not. This is why I do not believe McInnes is the number one target for Rangers. There is no number one target, the board look like if the rumours are correct doing what they did last year. Inviting candidates over to London for an interview then selecting a manager who is best equipped to be the Rangerw manager. By that I mean, tactically good, player development, man management has to be top drawer, experience, being able to deal with the pressure and probably most importantly, being a winner. That's something Warburton and even Pedro wasn't, despite Pedro winning a title in Mexico under a bizarre structure over there. A winner meaning, been to clubs, won trophies there and did it at another club.

Which is why the board should be identifying those that fit the criteria - if I was a winner and had a great track record etc. I want to be headhunted - I don't expect this to be a glorified version of the apprentice etc. Truly good to great managers will probably feel like their record speaks for themselves and probably won't look too kindly at being asked to interview

Which is why the board should be identifying those that fit the criteria - if I was a winner and had a great track record etc. I want to be headhunted - I don't expect this to be a glorified version of the apprentice etc. Truly good to great managers will probably feel like their record speaks for themselves and probably won't look too kindly at being asked to interview
I get what you mean but, even when you're headhuntee you still have to talk to the man, discussing the plan, budgets expectations etc. The board are probably just looking at options, wondering who will show up and be interested. But I do get your point.

If your record speaks for itself and want the job, you'd still need to talk to the board regardless about the vison.

i heard on clyde last night Guidi said mciness should be interviewing us to find out if we are good enough for him, a caller then asked him about it and he tried to squirm out of it.

we had more away fans than aberdeens whoke stadium had on saturday.

I really do not see how this interview thing works for us as a football club.

IF for example the wildest of things happened and Mourinho wanted it then we sure as f**k would not be conducting interviews!

You get a shortlist, and you go for your man

I’d have preferred us to headhunt a candidate and take things from there. The fact we are following the same procedure again that gave us Pedro gives me the fear.

IF for example the wildest of things happened and Mourinho wanted it then we sure as f**k would not be conducting interviews!

Exactly - rangers should be making the shortlist based on the criteria they want. Honestly,we need a Scottish manager who knows the league and club inside out and can get us winning consistently in SPL again and have us challenging the dhims. Not hard to narrow that down and go get who is top of a very small list I imagine.

But I do honestly fear us ending up with a McClaren type appointment and being told how he has managed Engalnd , great coach and interviewed brilliantly - the board have fecked up twice already with managerial appointments - they must get this right or it's curtains for them

Its been reported that again, we are having interviews in London

Wouldn't it be wise to have them somewhere private up here so they could have a look around and see if they are happy with the not so nice place (west of scotland) we live in?

Why are we doing this when Pedro and Warburton obviously didn't enjoy life in glasgow as any chance they got they shot off home, i.e straight after a friday night game or any international break?

Neither of the two previous managers moved their families up here !!!

A blatant indication they dont plan on staying !
Why would they move their familys here? Have you seen how quick clubs are to hire & fire managers? How would that be fair on their wife and kids quitting their jobs & moving school just for the manager to be fired 7 months later?

Don’t be ridiculous.

Pedro got the job based on Greame Park's friendship with Pedro Mendes, who is Pedro's agent. Plus.... He interviewd well and had good references. But his record wasn't of the standard needed. You can blame Greame Park for letting Pedro Mendes talk him into hiring Pedro as manager.

Bullshit.

Anyway, Caixinha’s family moved here so that blows this thread out the water.

Doing a great interview is how we ended up plucking an obscure manager from mid table Qatari football. There's a lot more to it than that.
Of course there is, but similarly if you go with a guy who has a decent CV without a proper interview you could end up with a lunatic like a billy Davies, Pardew or Nigel Pearson. You need a decent CV and an interview to back it up in my opinion.

I think it is sensible to look at all options and it's also sensible to interview away from the Scottish MSM. Imagine we just appointed McInnes and he ballsed it. The same people would be moaning we never took our time and rushed into it.
There is a bandwagon rolling for McInnes from ex-players, the media and potential hangers on, all with their own motives. I just don't want to see a reuniting of old pals at Auchenhowie, with a "Y" stuck on the end of their name.

This forms a fair number of those publicly pushing the bandwagon and we should not be influenced by it.

I don't know if he is the right man, he may well be, but we have to do the job properly and avoid knee jerk appointments.

Problem with interviews is some people talk a good game but cant deliver, i've seen that in my own working environment and we have seen it with Pedro.

Why not pick a guy you know can do the job, has a good track record and behaves himself in a manner a rangers manager should? nah too easy?

We will know one way or another then if McInnes is in for it as we'll need to agree compo with Dolly to talk.

Would be concerned if it wasn't either him, Moyes or Pardew who get it. Quite clearly the standouts of those mentioned.

We have to interview whoever we decide to be manager regardless if he is headhunted or not.

The board should still want to know McInnes plan going forward - if it’s him.

Exactly - rangers should be making the shortlist based on the criteria they want. Honestly,we need a Scottish manager who knows the league and club inside out and can get us winning consistently in SPL again and have us challenging the dhims. Not hard to narrow that down and go get who is top of a very small list I imagine.

Mccoist is available ....

I can't fathom out why that is so important . Really if that's the criteria for Rangers manager then we really limit who we can get .

Who hires a manager of anything without speaking to them first?!

Mccoist is available ....

I can't fathom out why that is so important . Really if that's the criteria for Rangers manager then we really limit who we can get .

Most successful managers in our history have had these qualities.

Maybe there is a select few who really have the capability of managing this club and the expectations and pressure.

Pedro got the job based on Greame Park's friendship with Pedro Mendes, who is Pedro's agent. Plus.... He interviewd well and had good references. But his record wasn't of the standard needed. You can blame Greame Park for letting Pedro Mendes talk him into hiring Pedro as manager.

Only Mendes isn't his agent...

We will know one way or another then if McInnes is in for it as we'll need to agree compo with Dolly to talk.

Would be concerned if it wasn't either him, Moyes or Pardew who get it. Quite clearly the standouts of those mentioned.

I admire your positivity; this seems a worryingly weak shortlist - Moyes and Pardew have very little credibility these days.

Most successful managers in our history have had these qualities.

Maybe there is a select few who really have the capability of managing this club and the expectations and pressure.

Football has moved on since then . I'd love for us to find a modern day Struth , but sadly these types of manAger are few and far between and mcinnes isn't one of them .

We need someone to come in turn the club around and quickly .

Phone Aberdeen, pay them the cash, get McInnes in by the start of next week.

i heard on clyde last night Guidi said mciness should be interviewing us to find out if we are good enough for him, a caller then asked him about it and he tried to squirm out of it.

we had more away fans than aberdeens whoke stadium had on saturday.

He explained what he meant by that several times and there was nothing wrong with what he said, the caller just didn't want to accept the reason behind what guidi said and thinks if Rangers offer him the job he should take it without asking any questions.

DM has a decent job with little expectations, he's probably exceeding expectations just now by finishing above us, obviously the lure of Rangers would be hard for him to turn down but no chance he would take the job without assurances he will get cash, the realistic expectations on him, for example would failing to win league at first attempt be classed as failure, would his job be at risk if he didn't win league at first attempt, if so he would stay where he is.

Wouldn't it be wise to have them somewhere private up here so they could have a look around and see if they are happy with the not so nice place (west of scotland) we live in?

Why are we doing this when Pedro and Warburton obviously didn't enjoy life in glasgow as any chance they got they shot off home, i.e straight after a friday night game or any international break?

Our DOF hasn't moved his family up either

Maybe unrelated but Walter Smith was on a flight last night from Heathrow back up here.

Would he be involved in the process in some way?

Everyone knows how his last recommendation worked out.

If interviews were conducted up here the press would be all over it. Locals would tip them off.

London offers a degree of anonomity

This. The FF spies based at Glasgow Airport would have names and pictures as soon as an interested party set foot in Scotland.

Maybe unrelated but Walter Smith was on a flight last night from Heathrow back up here.

Would he be involved in the process in some way?

Everyone knows how his last recommendation worked out.
Fine until shit hit the fan with murray and craig whyte.

Can interview there in peace as it’s a big place with little media intrusion I’d suggest.

Back