Introducing: Rangers 2-3-4-1 formation

OnlyOneAmoruso

In the first of a six part series aiming to describe Rangers tactical set up in more detail, I’ve taken a look at our formation and it’s evolution over the last 12 months.

You can read it on the Heart & Hand website via link below

Cheers

Enjoyed that.
It explains, in much better detail than I ever could, my own assertion that we don’t play a back four for the best part.
The flat midfield has also been explained excellently.
Brilliant, loved it.

Excellent work yet again Adam. Thanks for the detail

Puts the sports journalists up here to shame. Not one could compile that report

Thanks very good read , shocked me that if we beat hearts tomorrow we will have equalled our points won away for the whole of last season and its not even February yet .Well done the whole team .

Enjoyed reading about the tactical tweaking used in our system. It sure beats listening to the experts in the stands at Ibrox shouting “get the f@#ing baw intae the boax Rangers” :D.

Enjoyed that and another reason why media such as h&h is far superior to dinosaurs like Keevins, etc. Genuine knowledge of the game.

Thanks that explained the change very well. Also shows how vital Tav, Borna and Morelos are and why we might need different backup full backs next year.

Still feel that Murphy (if he can get back to his previous level) would be good option in the inside forward role

Always wondered what formations were used 60-70 years ago, when you look at the line up of the time the amount of forward thinking players far outnumbered the defensive.

Of course the game was different back then but it shows the attacking prowess of our full backs and what they bring to the side.

Good read and it makes it clear how Flanagan is not the answer for right back. He's not going to suddenly turn into one of our attackers like Tav and Borna.

In the first of a six part series aiming to describe Rangers tactical set up in more detail, I’ve taken a look at our formation and it’s evolution over the last 12 months.

You can read it on the Heart & Hand website via link below

Cheers
Thanks for posting that was a really interesting read. Confirms how important our full backs are

I suppose the great Rangers team of the 60s would be a God knows what system

Shearer, a stay at home full back and Caldow, much more adventurous. Half backs like Harry Davis who stayed at home and Ronnie McKinnon who was the same with Jim Baxter who could and would do anything.

Henderson and Wilson to get to the bye line with McMillan passing the ball to them while Millar was the main striker and Ralph Brand the poacher.

3-5-2 ?

Thanks very good read , shocked me that if we beat hearts tomorrow we will have equalled our points won away for the whole of last season and its not even February yet .Well done the whole team .

Shocked me as well when I seen it! Some effort.

Interesting stuff. The coaching staff definitely seem to be able to tweak formations and positions to fit the occasion. Rather than good old Plan A and more Plan A from a previous manager.

Good read that, just the type of thing you’d expect from a sports journalist but not in this country

Well not while they can tell you what Leigh Griffiths had for breakfast and who was bitching about who at a press conference. And sectarianism. Bags of sectarianism.

How I’ll laugh my little bollocks off when people are paying for this type of content and Leckie and Jackson can’t even get a gig for the fucking digger.

Well not while they can tell you what Leigh Griffiths had for breakfast and who was bitching about who at a press conference. And sectarianism. Bags of sectarianism.

How I’ll laugh my little bollocks off when people are paying for this type of content and Leckie and Jackson can’t even get a gig for the fucking digger.
The closest those idiots get to tactical insight would be "get it in the mixer" and "run about a bit"

Great article- emphasis could be on securing the services of understudy full backs in this transfer window. If injury to Tav or Borna I worry given the importance of these positions in attack.

I suppose the great Rangers team of the 60s would be a God knows what system

Shearer, a stay at home full back and Caldow, much more adventurous. Half backs like Harry Davis who stayed at home and Ronnie McKinnon who was the same with Jim Baxter who could and would do anything.

Henderson and Wilson to get to the bye line with McMillan passing the ball to them while Millar was the main striker and Ralph Brand the poacher.

3-5-2 ?

That’s given me an idea actually. We’ve done a few pods looking back at specific games from the last 20 years and the tactic used at the time.

Might be a good shout to take that further and look at teams from even further back and how they set themselves up tactically.

Cheers!

Back