Inverness - Big Rangers Town?

Official Ticketer
So I grew up near Inverness but moved away for Uni. Having moved back recently after a decade away one of the things that struck me is the apparent strength of support for Rangers around the town. I know the highlands is generally considered quite staunch, but there's hardly a day goes by when I don't pass someone with a Rangers bonnet, jacket or pin. In the past two weeks I've overheard four (positive) conversations about Rangers on the bus and chatted about the Bears with waiters in two different restaurants. Conversely, I've only seen two grubby mentally challenged tramps, both of them Big Issue sellers with their colours on display. I've noticed the local CSC has more likes on Facebook than the local RSC, but obviously that means fuckall as it's online and I've seen next to no presence from the great unwashed. It really does feel like Rangers are the true establishment club outside a few central belt pockets of mentally challenged infestation and some places like Aberdeen (and I'm sure there are more Bears in wider Aberdeenshire than actual Aberdeen supporters).

Is there a Rangers pub in Inverness yet? Nellie Dean's must have shut more than 3 years ago now.

The Highlands and Islands have a significant majority for Rangers. There are plenty Celtic fans but they are totally different from central belt Celtic fans, no Irish element to them they just picked a team and it’s just a game of football to them. None of the nonsense you see down here.

There are quite a few RSC's in the Highlands. Obviously you've got the lads at Lewis & Harris and Inverness, but I'm sure there was two RSC's in Caithness as well (One Wick, one Thurso maybe?).

The Highland Loyal covers Caithness and makes a few pick ups down to Inverness every home game.

So I grew up near Inverness but moved away for Uni. Having moved back recently after a decade away one of the things that struck me is the apparent strength of support for Rangers around the town. I know the highlands is generally considered quite staunch, but there's hardly a day goes by when I don't pass someone with a Rangers bonnet, jacket or pin. In the past two weeks I've overheard four (positive) conversations about Rangers on the bus and chatted about the Bears with waiters in two different restaurants. Conversely, I've only seen two grubby mentally challenged tramps, both of them Big Issue sellers with their colours on display. I've noticed the local CSC has more likes on Facebook than the local RSC, but obviously that means fuckall as it's online and I've seen next to no presence from the great unwashed. It really does feel like Rangers are the true establishment club outside a few central belt pockets of mentally challenged infestation and some places like Aberdeen (and I'm sure there are more Bears in wider Aberdeenshire than actual Aberdeen supporters).
I was up there last year for the half marathon and after it me and my mates went for a few pints. First boozer we walked into soon started belting out fields of Athenry.
No staunch points from me.

The Highlands and Islands have a significant majority for Rangers. There are plenty Celtic fans but they are totally different from central belt Celtic fans, no Irish element to them they just picked a team and it’s just a game of football to them. None of the nonsense you see down here.
Go on the Ross Shire Celtic supporters fb page and tell me again they dont see themselves as Oirish. Page is full of the shyt.

I'm from Inverness and live around here, lot's and lots of Rangers supporters about including many young fans. Great to be a part of up here in the frozen North!

that's your theory I or no one mentioned above Inverness! Stick yer. snp land up yet erse my theory ok

Just because I live in somewhere (Inverness) that is currently an SNP constituency doesn’t make me a voter of them.

SNP land as you calling it is right across the whole of Scotland.

What’s your constituency out of interest?

Always thought that part of the country was very pro Rangers. Anyone I have ever met from there has been a Ger.

Just because I live in somewhere (Inverness) that is currently an SNP constituency doesn’t make me a voter of them.

SNP land as you calling it is right across the whole of Scotland.

What’s your constituency out of interest?
Dumfries and Galloway,listen mate the point I was making Inverness argyle etc is SNP and below, to the east is it Angus? aberdeenshire? think the Tories won back the east,I didn't say YOU VOTED for wee burnie I saids it's a pity lots of RANGERS supporters in Invernes voted for her,my point of view,the original guy may differ that's why we hold remembrance Sunday so as all the brave people who sacrificed their lives,gave us free speech,if I do recall you still speak the finest QUEENS ENGLISH in the UK,used to love my visits to Inverness in my younger days!

Dumfries and Galloway,listen mate the point I was making Inverness argyle etc is SNP and below, to the east is it Angus? aberdeenshire? think the Tories won back the east,I didn't say YOU VOTED for wee burnie I saids it's a pity lots of RANGERS supporters in Invernes voted for her,my point of view,the original guy may differ that's we hold remembrance Sunday so as all the brave people who sacrificed their lives,gave us free speech

That’s only changed recently though.

Inverness, historically (unlike Moray) has predominantly been Lib Dem.

Rangers fans vote them all over the country, which is a pity.

I’m from Inverness and live a few miles outside the town.

There’s more Bears than that lot around, but I wouldn’t describe it as a ‘Rangers town’ per se.

There are enough bitter, hateful rhats up here, I assure you. Thankfully they weren't allowed to poison the well with their bigot factories when Dounreay was built.

There are enough bitter, hateful rhats up here, I assure you. Thankfully they weren't allowed to poison the well with their bigot factories when Dounreay was built.
As in the West of Scotland, it’s even more so in Inverness that most of them are imported. I would call it an infestation from outside, rather than a change in the Inverness homegrown demographic.

I made a thread in the summer about a local gala i went to up here and the fact that there was a lot of adults and children wearing Rangers tops but not a single mentally challenged top to be seen. The ceptic fans up here are genuine glory hunters. Not shitting you, i even personally knew one who switched from us to them when we were kicked down the leagues. Fkn mongo!

Dumfries and Galloway,listen mate the point I was making Inverness argyle etc is SNP and below, to the east is it Angus? aberdeenshire? think the Tories won back the east,I didn't say YOU VOTED for wee burnie I saids it's a pity lots of RANGERS supporters in Invernes voted for her,my point of view,the original guy may differ that's why we hold remembrance Sunday so as all the brave people who sacrificed their lives,gave us free speech,if I do recall you still speak the finest QUEENS ENGLISH in the UK,used to love my visits to Inverness in my younger days!
And how many rangers fans in Glasgow voted snp?

Going back to the Oil Yard days we were known to the locals as the "Hey Jimmies", they were named the Wombles as they all seemed to come Wimbling down from the hills & within days were Welders.

Was watching the game in FUBAR bar in Pattaya at the weekend and the guy standing next to me was from Inverness and two fellow Caithness bears like myself with him. Pretty small world.

Back