Irvine Welsh on Hibs TV - Hibs cleared by SFA

I think it’s long beyond time to take legal action on our own . We cannot rely on the SFA or a uk e else .

I'm not the book burning type, who would "cancel" people over their beliefs and morals (like the trans people done over JK Rowling for example) and I certainly can't bring myself to ditch his early books, but Welsh really is one truly appalling and nasty piece of work. Can't stand the throbber!

Sticky bun is something tarr1er primary school weans would call us.
Please let the monotone boring w@nk know how you feel should you ever meet him.

Its definitely 'sticky bun' mate.

Sure I saw it reported that the SFA had asked for footage. Hibs will be in the doo doo for this. Can't really see the Police getting involved if I'm honest other than, at best, to 'have a word' with Welsh.

Hibss will be in the doo doo for this.

it's not racism you absolute wetwipe, honestly cringe when I see stuff like this.
Would it have been construed as racism if it had been a celeb invited onto RTV and he said the same about Edouard or Frimpong or whoever else?

White man in Scotland says he wants Black man chopped up with a machete and the platform in question is given a warning.

Nice to know the SFA take racism seriously.
Please don't do this, he actually made a real bigoted comment. Don't invent one, all it will do is distract from the real issue.

A club representative should not be making jokes that Morelos deserved to be cut up and fed to pigeons but it was obviously a joke, Hibs apologised and that should be the end of that as far as that particular comment goes.

The iced buns thing or whatever he said was genuine bigotry.

Also, Morelos isn't black, he's indigenous Colombian. Don't be racially ignorant and claim racism in the same sentence.

Please don't do this, he actually made a real bigoted comment. Don't invent one, all it will do is distract from the real issue.

A club representative should not be making jokes that Morelos deserved to be cut up and fed to pigeons but it was obviously a joke, Hibs apologised and that should be the end of that as far as that particular comment goes.

The iced buns thing or whatever he said was genuine bigotry.
How can that be a joke? It is based on a racist slur. That isn’t funny. To then ad a sectarian slur is unacceptable. He didn’t make such comments about white people. It is clear there is a racial element to that comment.

thus is the U.K. d if shit that needs to be taken seriously if we are to rid ourselves of this baggage. Imagine someone on RTV making that comments?

Imagine the reaction. But apart from anything else it is racist. Has to be stopped.

How can that be a joke? It is based on a racist slur. That isn’t funny. To then ad a sectarian slur is unacceptable. He didn’t make such comments about white people. It is clear there is a racial element to that comment.

thus is the U.K. d if shit that needs to be taken seriously if we are to rid ourselves of this baggage. Imagine someone on RTV making that comments?

Imagine the reaction. But apart from anything else it is racist. Has to be stopped.
What slur is it based off?

What slur is it based off?
He suggested a black player should be machetes into pieces. He made no such analogy when discussing white players instead used a sectarian slur. Don’t know but likely Morelos is of Catholic persuasion why not abuse him about his religion same as white players?

He suggested a black player should be machetes into pieces. He made no such analogy when discussing white players instead used a sectarian slur. Don’t know but likely Morelos is of Catholic persuasion why not abuse him about his religion same as white players?
He made the joke because Morelos should have been sent off, they were talking about that incident.

You're making it very easy for him to point and say 'look how ridiculous they're being' and have the sectarian comment swept under the carpet.

He made the joke because Morelos should have been sent off, they were talking about that incident.

You're making it very easy for him to point and say 'look how ridiculous they're being' and have the sectarian comment swept under the carpet.
Could equally suggest you are not taking racism seriously. Racism can be very covert and implied. It is still racism. It doesn’t have to be as Kamara suffered.

More education required on the subject and this thread is a perfect demonstration of that need.

Would he have made that comment about, say, Ryan Jack or Filip Helander?
I think we all know the answer. It was racist.

What's the link between black people and machetes?

When I think of machete, the first association that I am likely to make would be with a Gurkha.

It disgusts me the way the term “hu#” is presented as a derogatory term, but, as I understand it. It was ruled sectarian in a court of Law.

We know our republican friends use the term in a sectarian manner. What do we need to do to get some even reporting on this topic?

Last edited:
Remember the outrage to the Neil Lennon cartoon that was posted on FF a few years back? We had politicians lining up to show their disgust. Where are they now?

It wasn't racist, everyone calling it racist is calling Morelos the wrong race which is insensitive at best.

You deeming it as such does nothing but hurt our attempts to have people punished for calling us huns.

It disgusts me the way the term “hu#” is presented as a derogatory term, but, as I understand it. It was ruled sectarian in a court of Law.

We know our republican friends use the term is a sectarian manner. What do we need to do to get some even reporting on this topic?

How about we add it to the swear /sectarian filter on here for a start?

It wasn't racist, everyone calling it racist is calling Morelos the wrong race which is insensitive at best.

You deeming it as such does nothing but hurt our attempts to have people punished for calling us huns.
Welsh was probably not aware of the difference between persons who black(which at times is only a matter of choice) and others who are indigenous South American. He was simply abusing Morelos because of his skin colour. i.e. Racist.
You are just trying to derail this thread, you have made your point, nobody agrees, now stfu.

Welsh was probably not aware of the difference between persons who black(which at times is only a matter of choice) and others who are indigenous South American. He was simply abusing Morelos because of his skin colour. i.e. Racist.
You are just trying to derail this thread, you have made your point, nobody agrees, now stfu.
There's literally someone agreeing with me like 5 posts up.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, I'm trying to stop people derailing a fight against someone using sectarian language by adding a ridiculous claim of racism into it, it just makes it easier to dismiss as snowflakery.

He wasn't abusing Morelos because of his skin colour, they were talking about the red card incident and he said Morelos deserved to be murdered and fed to the birds or something like that, obviously a shit attempt at humour.

If anyone at Rangers including Morelos deemed it racist, you have seen how they backed Kamara. None of that happened with this.

Hibs quite rightly should have been cleared over this. You can’t always control what a moron in your support says on live tv.
Welsh however should have had a chap on the door from Police Scotland.

Could equally suggest you are not taking racism seriously. Racism can be very covert and implied. It is still racism. It doesn’t have to be as Kamara suffered.

More education required on the subject and this thread is a perfect demonstration of that need.

His comments are disgusting but they are not racist. It’s absolutely wild to suggest otherwise.

Do you write for the Guardian?

I wasn't aware we were supposed to be polite purveyors of critical race theory on here.

This is the kind of casual suggestion of 'racism' which does harm to those who suffer actual racism.

There's literally someone agreeing with me like 5 posts up.

I'm not trying to derail the thread, I'm trying to stop people derailing a fight against someone using sectarian language by adding a ridiculous claim of racism into it, it just makes it easier to dismiss as snowflakery.

He wasn't abusing Morelos because of his skin colour, they were talking about the red card incident and he said Morelos deserved to be murdered and fed to the birds or something like that, obviously a shit attempt at humour.

If anyone at Rangers including Morelos deemed it racist, you have seen how they backed Kamara. None of that happened with this.
Correct.

The issue here is with his use of H*n.

Remember the time when Boyle was in a well known Rangers pub 'researching ' for T2

I honestly mind thinking WTF, if anyone thinks this will show us in a good light ...

Sure enough we're made to look like neanderthals in the film.

Coont should have been marched out the door

Remember the time when Boyle was in a well known Rangers pub 'researching ' for T2

I honestly mind thinking WTF, if anyone thinks this will show us in a good light ...

Sure enough we're made to look like neanderthals in the film.

Coont should have been marched out the door
And made Hibs fans look like a bunch of smack addict thieves.

I'd honestly not get too worked up about that mate...

What's the link between black people and machetes?

When I think of machete, the first association that I am likely to make would be with a Gurkha.
It isn’t about what you think. It is about what the people experiencing racism think and feel. When I listened to the H&H podcast with Tess explaining how racism affected his life I realised I didn’t really understand racism half as well as I thought I did.

So I spent some time, it doesn’t take that long looking on the internet and trying to understand racism in its many different forms and guises.

It can be a very subtle thing. It can be done in many different ways. The brutal direct racism Glen Kamara endured isn’t the only form of racism.

It is worth taking the time to understand this from the victims perspective. It makes racism even more abhorrent. I don’t want to lecture people each to their own view. Many people don’t fully understand the issue and much more training and info is needed to help people understand.

Racism won’t disappear. But it can be challenged with better understanding. What Welsh said is a form of racism. He would never use that language towards a white person. It doesn’t take away from the terrible sectarian slur.

It isn’t about what you think. It is about what the people experiencing racism think and feel. When I listened to the H&H podcast with Tess explaining how racism affected his life I realised I didn’t really understand racism half as well as I thought I did.

So I spent some time, it doesn’t take that long looking on the internet and trying to understand racism in its many different forms and guises.

It can be a very subtle thing. It can be done in many different ways. The brutal direct racism Glen Kamara endured isn’t the only form of racism.

It is worth taking the time to understand this from the victims perspective. It makes racism even more abhorrent. I don’t want to lecture people each to their own view. Many people don’t fully understand the issue and much more training and info is needed to help people understand.

Racism won’t disappear. But it can be challenged with better understanding. What Welsh said is a form of racism. He would never use that language towards a white person. It doesn’t take away from the terrible sectarian slur.

It still doesn’t answer the question as to what is racist about Welsh’s words.

Has Alfie said he found the use of the word “machete” as a racist slur.

This whole “it’s racist because I feel it is“ doesn’t lead anywhere useful.

It was first posited in The MacPherson Report, the same report that claimed institutionalised racism.

There has to be an agreed legal standard that is as objective as possible.

It is also possible to believe that Critical Race Theory is not the only or the best way to progress the cause of equality.

And I have plenty of experience of prejudice from my own upbringing. The headmaster in my school frequently referred to me as a porridge-wog.and was frequently beaten up because of how I reacted to slurs based upon my accent or country of birth.

It still doesn’t answer the question as to what is racist about Welsh’s words.

Has Alfie said he found the use of the word “machete” as a racist slur.

This whole “it’s racist because I feel it is“ doesn’t lead anywhere useful.

It was first posited in The MacPherson Report, the same report that claimed institutionalised racism.

There has to be an agreed legal standard that is as objective as possible.

It is also possible to believe that Critical Race Theory is not the only or the best way to progress the cause of equality.

And I have plenty of experience of prejudice from my own upbringing. The headmaster in my school frequently referred to me as a porridge-wog.and was frequently beaten up because of how I reacted to slurs based upon my accent or country of birth.
As I said I have no wish to lecture anyone in racism. All I am trying to do is a encourage people to consider the issue from the victims view point and how it shapes their lives from an early age.
If you are brought up in a family that doesn’t suffer discrimination it is difficult to understand how it effects lives. As white we do have built in privelage. Yes there are poor and disadvantaged white peoples and I am not denying that nor does it lessen the issues they face.

But we need to accept as a nation that racism does come in many forms. Think about the comment in the terms of the context and the originators use of language elsewhere. He is an articulate man that uses language carefully and has a developed and extensive vocabulary.

My view is it was racist. You are free to feel differently and that is the essence of free speech.

As I said I have no wish to lecture anyone in racism. All I am trying to do is a encourage people to consider the issue from the victims view point and how it shapes their lives from an early age.
If you are brought up in a family that doesn’t suffer discrimination it is difficult to understand how it effects lives. As white we do have built in privelage. Yes there are poor and disadvantaged white peoples and I am not denying that nor does it lessen the issues they face.

But we need to accept as a nation that racism does come in many forms. Think about the comment in the terms of the context and the originators use of language elsewhere. He is an articulate man that uses language carefully and has a developed and extensive vocabulary.

My view is it was racist. You are free to feel differently and that is the essence of free speech.

Mate, I know your view is it was racist and I’m really not trying to be obtuse. I just unclear why the machete comment is implicitly racist.

He could have made the same remark about Borna and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Am I missing an obvious connotation between machetes and black people?

Mate, I know your view is it was racist and I’m really not trying to be obtuse. I just unclear why the machete comment is implicitly racist.

He could have made the same remark about Borna and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Am I missing an obvious connotation between machetes and black people?
The whole point is he didn’t make that comment about Borna or any other white player. He chose his words carefully and deliberately. He is a writer. The use of language and phrase is his area of expertise, he makes a very good living out of it.

This wasn’t someone of limited vocabulary or someone with a lack of understanding.

It was a ridiculous comment, totally out of order - but where is the racism?

I suspect the machete comment was because old Irvine has been watching too much Narcos - it did seem to be a common weapon of choice for the cartels.

That would make sense to me given Colombia is/was known as one of the hotspots for the drug trade.

Still an abhorrent comment though and undoubtedly linked to where Alfie comes from

Hibs quite rightly should have been cleared over this. You can’t always control what a moron in your support says on live tv.
Welsh however should have had a chap on the door from Police Scotland.
Um, they can control it when it is their own tv station doing the broadcasting. They are held as liable. Their platform, their duty to make sure all guests and speakers are aware of the standards expected. The trouble is, the prick probably was aware of the standards expected and was only too happy to oblige.

Um, they can control it when it is their own tv station doing the broadcasting. They are held as liable. Their platform, their duty to make sure all guests and speakers are aware of the standards expected. The trouble is, the prick probably was aware of the standards expected and was only too happy to oblige.
I do get your point but I am a big believer in personal responsibility-Welsh said it he should be punished for it. He was a guest not an employee.

Back