Irvine Welsh on Hibs TV - Hibs cleared by SFA

The Sun ignored the machete comments sums thcuunts up

Rangers and Club 1872 need to report this to the police

Welsh needs charged for the machete comment

Also OFCOM have powers to shut Hibs TV down if they have not distanced themselves from the outrageous comment on Alfie

SFA should also get involved

Also OFCOM have powers to shut Hibs TV down if they have not distanced themselves from the outrageous comment on Alfie

The story in the sun is written by their deputy online sports editor it's utterly embarrassing that that's been missed out.

People on social media laughing at rangers fans for being outraged at these comments, but imagine the outrage if a famous rangers fan went on TV and called a celtic player a 'funky Athenian' or some other rhyming slang with a sectarian word.

Not covered it all:

Rangers fans have complained to Ofcom in the wake of a controversial appearance by Irvine Welsh on Hibs TV last night.

The Trainspotting author and celebrity fan joined host David Tanner and Hibs Ladies star Joelle Murray on the Hibs TV coverage of Rangers' 1-0 Easter Road victory.

Welsh was asked by Tanner to analyse the first-half incident where Alfredo Morelos avoided referee action when he stood on Ryan Porteous.

And he referred to Alfredo Morelos as a "sticky bun" - rhyming slang for the offensive term "h**" - as he claimed he should have been red carded there and then.

The author is well-known for his unusual use of language, but angry Gers fans complained on social media - with some sending complaints direct to the communications watchdog.

Rangers, Hibs and Irvine Welsh have been contacted for comment.
Once again, 2nd time in a week , The Scottish Sun referring the hun word as offensive when it's clearly sectarian.

Anyone who heard it can report to the police, I think.

They feel safe to comment on the usual sectarian industry tropes. Advocating machete use is defamation territory and needs to be verified first.

Hopefully, a recording/footage of Welsh’s comments surfaces sooner rather than later. The fallout or lack thereof will be interesting to observe.

20 minutes after a terrorist attack anywhere in the world you have footage on your phone yet nothing on this.

Because none of us watch hibs tv. Hibs fans were all booming about it on social media. I can't see them getting a video of evidence
Depends if HibsTV have a full match replay that includes pre-match, post-match and half-time as we do on RangersTV. And, of course, on them not editing it out.

I probably give The Sun too much credit here but if they do an article on the 'sticky bun' comment would they not have seen said footage in order to verify it? Yeah, I know I know, its The Sun. Until I see it I'm a little sceptical about the 'machette' comments tbh. If they are true though, Hibs and Welsh should be in deep doo-doo.

purposely OTT and tasteless, the way jokes sometimes can be. I don’t know if you actually believe he actually meant these words seriously or not. I suggest that’s a stretch but if you show me proof - a notebook with plans and Alfie’s address? - i’ll be first on the phone to the cops.

Words don’t equate to violence. If you accept this false premise, you have literally zero right to object to the abuse of power that has and will be used against you as a Rangers fan.

This thread is full of blatant hypocrisy, often contained within the space of the same post. Just think about the double standards argument for a second longer lads, Either you actually believe Lennon is the most uniquely persecuted man in Scotland... or like me, you don’t. If you’re like me, then you shouldn’t be playing that game at all.
I doubt anyone is taking it literally nor will some be pretending to be angry at the use of wording, joke or not had that come from our side about one of their players the headlines would be filled for a fortnight! It is still inappropriate in present times albeit back in the day there would be a bit of verbal to and fro and just fade away till next time!

Depends if HibsTV have a full match replay that includes pre-match, post-match and half-time as we do on RangersTV. And, of course, on them not editing it out.

I probably give The Sun too much credit here but if they do an article on the 'sticky bun' comment would they not have seen said footage in order to verify it? Yeah, I know I know, its The Sun. Until I see it I'm a little sceptical about the 'machette' comments tbh. If they are true though, Hibs and Welsh should be in deep doo-doo.
They usually do. They don't currently.

Where is the proof he said this? Is this too much to ask?

Despite my post earlier in this thread, am no longer going to concern myself about this until I see proof and not some claim on social media.

That's interesting in itself then I'd say. Though it could still be related solely to the 'sticky bun' comment I guess.

You hearing anything further in media circles?
Nah, I'm digging about trying to get a clip/audio of it. Had a thought it could be down to rights with Sky etc but usually allowed to make full match available from midnight anyway

Not covered it all:

Rangers fans have complained to Ofcom in the wake of a controversial appearance by Irvine Welsh on Hibs TV last night.

The Trainspotting author and celebrity fan joined host David Tanner and Hibs Ladies star Joelle Murray on the Hibs TV coverage of Rangers' 1-0 Easter Road victory.

Welsh was asked by Tanner to analyse the first-half incident where Alfredo Morelos avoided referee action when he stood on Ryan Porteous.

And he referred to Alfredo Morelos as a "sticky bun" - rhyming slang for the offensive term "h**" - as he claimed he should have been red carded there and then.

The author is well-known for his unusual use of language, but angry Gers fans complained on social media - with some sending complaints direct to the communications watchdog.

Rangers, Hibs and Irvine Welsh have been contacted for comment.
why isn't the sun contacting NBM too?

I doubt anyone is taking it literally nor will some be pretending to be angry at the use of wording, joke or not had that come from our side about one of their players the headlines would be filled for a fortnight! It is still inappropriate in present times albeit back in the day there would be a bit of verbal to and fro and just fade away till next time!
specifics here are relevent. Controversialist Welsh goes on Hibs TV and expresses his dislike for Morelos in an OTT way. i don’t find it funny but I didn’t see it in context. It’s a riff on “he wants shooting” - i say that all the time. i rarely mean it

on the other hand we have Rangers fans rightly believing they have been demonised and delegitimised by unfair laws which set criminal standards for sectarian or hate crimes that are obscure, arbitrary and easily capable of being politically motivated.

Do Bears really want to strengthen this stuff? I beleive greater use of a thing that has been used against you and can always can be again is self defeating.

i want them to disappear, not agree to their existance just because they might be used on my enemy today.

Fundamental stuff. Complicity

Surprised theres not been a clip of this yet. Usually folk are happy to get stuff like this on social media the minute it happens in the form of a little clip in a tweet or whatever.

Loads of posters on Hibs net said they heard it. Although they're saying it was "a joke".

Once again, 2nd time in a week , The Scottish Sun referring the hun word as offensive when it's clearly sectarian.

Some people try to say hun isn't a sectarian word because there have been catholic rangers players and fans who get called it too, but why doesn't that logic apply to the word 19th Century Terrorist?

There are protestant celtic players and fans who have been called 19th Century Terrorist but it is still considered a sectarian dog whistle for a catholic, I'm sure Jock Stein and Kenny Dalglish got called 19th Century Terrorist many times despite being protestant. There were Irish protestants in the actual 19th Century Terrorist Brotherhood in the 19th century.

19th Century Terrorist is a sectarian word just like hun is, but all the arguments they use to try and say hun isn't a sectarian word also apply to 19th Century Terrorist.

Some people try to say hun isn't a sectarian word because there have been catholic Rangers players and fans who get called it too, but why doesn't that logic apply to the word 19th Century Terrorist?

There are protestant celtic players and fans who have been called 19th Century Terrorist but it is still considered a sectarian dog whistle for a catholic, I'm sure Jock Stein and Kenny Dalglish got called 19th Century Terrorist many times despite being protestant. There were Irish protestants in the actual 19th Century Terrorist Brotherhood in the 19th century.

19th Century Terrorist is a sectarian word just like hun is, but all the arguments they use to try and say hun isn't a sectarian word also apply to 19th Century Terrorist.
The argument for hun not being sectarian is because its claimed to be a generic term for "enemy".

There was a case in 2008 where one of that lot got charged for wearing a T-shirt saying "dirty horrible huns" but I don't believe there has been any other charges/convictions since. Probably partly down to the fact that there has never been enough pressure made to have the word viewed in the same bracket as 19th Century Terrorist, poet, orange B etc.

They usually do. They don't currently.
Be career suicide for Tanner to not come clean also, you also often hear radio djs who have an outspoken guest say, these are not the thoughts of Radio Rock etc by way of a disclaimer.
If true you'd imagine Hibs to throw Irvine under the bus at some point

Last edited:
Hibs fans are lapping it up i think it did happen.
He has clearly said something but the wording - nobody is clear on.

It has got round Hibs forums are we are raging about a comment that nobody has solid proof was really said and they are keeping the fire burning.

Surprised theres not been a clip of this yet. Usually folk are happy to get stuff like this on social media the minute it happens in the form of a little clip in a tweet or whatever.
If it’s on a normal tv channel, folk would rewind and record.

Do online streams have that facility?

Some people try to say hun isn't a sectarian word because there have been catholic Rangers players and fans who get called it too, but why doesn't that logic apply to the word 19th Century Terrorist?

All during the sixties and seventies we sang go home ya huns to that other lot.

So here we are some 20hrs after the event, 400+ comments on here, and we've yet to see or hear a clip of it.

At the moment we only have the OP post stating this (from HIVs forums?), none of us have seen or heard anything else.

Is the only source/evidence of this, that it is being mentioned on the HIVs forums, no other evidence?

I would've thought by now that some sort of clip of it would have surfaced.

So here we are some 20hrs after the event, 400+ comments on here, and we've yet to see or hear a clip of it.

At the moment we only have the OP post stating this (from HIVs forums?), none of us have seen or heard anything else.

Is the only source/evidence of this, that it is being mentioned on the HIVs forums, no other evidence?

I would've thought by now that some sort of clip of it would have surfaced.
I know what you're saying but due to the nature of the alleged comments I'd say I would have expected a comment from Hibs denying it, even an official supporters group and particularly Tanner. These things can grow arms and legs but only takes 1 line to stop it in its tracks. What's interesting at the moment is Why haven't Hibs/Tanner uttered a word?

Last edited:
I know what you're saying but due to the nature of the alleged comments I'd say I would have expected a comment from Hibs denying it, even an official supporters group and particularly Tanner. These things can grow legs and legs but only takes 1 line to stop it in its tracks. What's interesting at the moment is Why haven't Hibs/Tanner uttered a word?
Too busy destroying the evidence??

Back