Is anyone not embarassed at our board asking for cv's?

Not really, it’s probably always happened, we just don’t hear about it. Just like no one heard of managers being interviewed until a few years ago but it has always been part of the process.

Football is different from business, but lots of things will be the same.

Who decides its best to do this?

Stewart Robertson would be my guess as its probably what they done at Motherwell

At risk of repeating myself on this subject, didn’t Stewart Robertson tell us at the start of the year that we were already planning future managerial appointments via this magic database we supposedly have?

If so, why do we need applications? Surely we already have the new guy lined up through the wonders of technology?

Threads like this are completely embarrassing.

How do we know who is interested if nobody applies? Just ask everyone in the world yeah? Doesn’t work like that.

Letting managers contact the club will probably bring up people that you maybe wouldn’t have thought to ask.

I think it devalues the Rangers manager job tbh. It’s not some graduate scheme we’re inviting people to apply for, it’s supposed to be one prestigious jobs in British football. We should always have a preferred candidate and be going out headhunting the man we want.

Nope.

Let them apply for the job if they want it. Let's see who wants the job and why/if they are suitable.

Totally.

I’d hope we had a shortlist identified as well but it’s sensible to invite people to express an interest. Worst case scenario we don’t get anyone decent applying and we go with shortlist but there’s always the chance a couple of really good guys apply and give us more options.

We NEED to get this right. This guy is the manager who stops ten in a row if he’s good enough - another managerial change in the interim and we may as well hand them that record now.

How far removed from the real world are our fans exactly? Think thats more embarrassing than going through a process to appoint a new manager.

The thought of Stewart Robertson reviewing CVs from folk like Frank de Boer, Michael Preud'homme or even Steve McLaren on football matters is just depressing.

The cringeometer is raised more when you realise there's interviews after this. "So, Frank tell me about your career and what you can bring to the team."

Identify a proper manager, find out what it takes to appoint him, and go fùcking do it. Inviting CVs shows a severe lack of leadership.

No one outside the boardroom knows what's happening (thankfully, I'd be more concerned about leaks than anything).

Expending any kind of emotional energy when its all guesswork, rumour, and message board chatter is just silly.

We all want the right man, including the board funnily enough. Lets just make sure we get him by any means appropriate. The previous means of private jets and moonbeams is no longer an option.

Make a shortlist of the best three realistic targets you want and go after them one by one.

I believe that is what a club of our stature should do.

So yes, I was embarrassed and still am.

A week ago, posters were being laughed at for suggesting big names.

Now, Ancellotti being asked for a CV is being used as a stick to beat the board with

People seem to be taking the 'CV' stuff too literally.

Mourinho is hardly going to rock up with a CV and cover letter saying 'This a great opportunity and one that I think I can thrive in. I'm hard working, punctual and self-starter. I work well alone and in a team...'

They're waiting for any agents getting in touch saying a client might be interested.

We moaned with the appointment of Ally from within the ranks and wanted the board to advertise the position.

Now we advertise the position and we're still not happy.
They advertised it last time and we ended up with Caixinha so I think thats why fans are rightly worried.

They advertised it last time and we ended up with Caixinha so I think thats why fans are rightly worried.

The majority of our support have been preaching it as the simple solution to our managerial problems since McCoist was here.

'Simple; Advertise the job, receive applications, interview a few and select the best candidate' <– was posted nearly word for word in every other thread for months/years.

I think people are looking into this CV thing a bit too much.

Every time a club lose their manager, other managers around the world will apply for the job plus the club SHOULD have a list of 3-5 managers they already have their eye on. Its not like this is a rare thing to happen. We need to have as much choice as possible and we may have 1 or 2 names apply that we weren't expecting.

We aren't Chelsea or Man Utd who can hand pick their manager and money isn't an issue. We need to be realists.

Can only imagine some of the outright chancers applying:
:D

Wee Jimmy who won the UCL on Champ Man 01/02
Harold Abubukar who led Hearts of Oak to the Ghana League title back when

etc.

A professionally prepared CV is a pre-requisite for any professional appointment. Has been for decades. Except in football, the home of the brown envelope.

At risk of repeating myself on this subject, didn’t Stewart Robertson tell us at the start of the year that we were already planning future managerial appointments via this magic database we supposedly have?

If so, why do we need applications? Surely we already have the new guy lined up through the wonders of technology?

Hes an imposter! Managing director my arse

I don’t know so much they are interested so much in the CV but they’re probably saying if you’re interested let us know. There may be guys out there who think they’re beyond making their interest known but are actually interested in the job.

When we pick a manager, we are limiting ourselves to a group of names the board or DoF is aware of. We ask Walter for input, he recommends ex players like McCoist or a McInnes. Likewise, Paul Murray's knowledge mat be limited to British bosses only

We ask for CVs, we might unearth a name that deserves further investigation. Didn't work last time, but that doesn't mean it can't work now

In this new world, CV's are asked for as that way it is seen by companies that they are not restricting
to one type of individual. PC friendly stuff and not discriminating against who can apply for jobs.
Personally, a 1,000 people can send in CV's, but the company really have someone in mind for the job
but like I said, asking for CV's means they are not "supposedly" discriminating against anyone.

Silly nonsense really with CV's.

In this new world, CV's are asked for as that way it is seen by companies that they are not restricting
to one type of individual. PC friendly stuff and not discriminating against who can apply for jobs.
Personally, a 1,000 people can send in CV's, but the company really have someone in mind for the job
but like I said, asking for CV's means they are not "supposedly" discriminating against anyone.

Silly nonsense really with CV's.
Stop comparing normal business practice with football, it doesn't work like that

Rangers are not going to sift through applications from minorities or special needs hopefuls to meet a quota

They want to speak to experienced coaches only

Stop comparing normal business practice with football, it doesn't work like that

Rangers are not going to sift through applications from minorities or special needs hopefuls to meet a quota

They want to speak to experienced coaches only

Similarly big companies don't advertise for CEOs, they head hunt their man.

rangers right now are not the big club we used to be. we are on the long road back to the top. any big name manager would look at us right now and say no way. there will be a few who would take the job who have a point to prove. today football clubs are business not clubs anymore and are run differently. when David Murray was the boss he would go and headhunt big name players and managers. and look now at turn out for us. so hopefully the board will look at all the cv's and find a gem of a manager. because your luck as to change sometime.

Personally think we are just waiting for the AGM and to see how Resolution 11 goes to determine what budget might be available.

Embarrassed? This confuses me.

Countless times on here or the many past iterations of FF, during discussions about managers or replacing managers, i have read how the club should invite applications, go through them and invite a short list for interview, then employ the best fit for the club.

This very scenario has been mooted for years on FF as the way to go, the way forward.

The board do it and now it is a riddy? People are cringing? :D

One thing is for sure, no business in the world could be run successfully trying to appease or please FF.

If you think the Board are shite then just say it, get your dig out, have your rant, maybe even back it up with an decent argument of your view point. No need to hide it away, draped under your 'embarrassment'.

It is tough just now. We are all feeling it. Bleak, there is a touch of uncertainty in there as well, you might want to ask a few questions but i honestly wouldn't know who in the club would answer them. So aye, not great at the moment.

Football is about the highs and the lows. Right now we are suffering what seems like a never ending flurry of lows. If you dont like it maybe football isn't for you?

Maybe find a nice netball team to support? Turn your back on your team? Now that would be embarrassing :p

I think it devalues the Rangers manager job tbh. It’s not some graduate scheme we’re inviting people to apply for, it’s supposed to be one prestigious jobs in British football. We should always have a preferred candidate and be going out headhunting the man we want.

And if he doesn’t want the job?

Personally think we are just waiting for the AGM and to see how Resolution 11 goes to determine what budget might be available.

This is what Ive been thinking lately.

Could it be possible to get res 11 rolling beforehand so when it passes the board or others are waiting to plow money in the next day? (Serious question as i dont know how it works)

No - I'm glad we're doing a period of due dilligence, but I am a bit concerned at the timeline I'll be honest.

Some amount of posters "embarrassed" by our process when most were crying out for the very same process before we appointed Warburton.

I am getting the horrible feeling that the Pedro disaster has left us without a pot to piss in which is why we are scrambling about looking for an acceptable name willing to work for %^*& all and with %^*& all.

Aren’t we always saying we should advertise the job and see who’s interested and not just look at the usual suspects? Now we’re saying we shouldn’t be

Back