Is Balogun now our 2nd choice centre back?

Balogun has been excellent for us although I thought today was his poorest game. Neither him or Helander has made themselves undroppable beside Goldson as yet

No not for me he was poor today was similar to his performance against Ross County. Looked like the travelling might have played some part in it as well. He is decent defender but Goldson and Helander is our strongest partnership.

Not really a critiscm of him as such but a better team would have punished some of his mistakes today and there would have been a thread saying Helander is ahead of him.

He has been solid since he came in but Benfica game aside Helander has been virtually flawless

Certain games will suit Balogun and certain games will suit Helander Balogun has been our 2nd best signing this season he pushes the centre backs better than Katic and Edmundson would do.

Helander is considerably better. I do like Balogun on the ball though.

Katic is way behind both partly due to the style we play and the bulk of opponents we face

Nah, helander is better, better pure defender. Balogun is 3rd choice, with Edmundson 4th choice. Katic when he’s fit I think will go out on loan with a view to selling him imo. He will need game time after his injury and I don’t think he’ll get enough here because we’ve got three better cbs in Goldson, helander and balogun.

To answer the OP, no. Had a few wobbles today, Hellander is a better player.

Helander has had one bad game this season. Admittedly a shocker. Balogun didn't look comfortable at all today. Helander ahead of Balogun for me.

Helander is playing less simply because Goldson can't be dropped at the moment. There might have been games where it was Helander and Balogun at the back, but Goldson has been so good that he just can't be dropped.

No, thought he looked off of things today. As an out and out defender Helander is the best we have. A bad night against Benfica aside.

Over-exaggeration alert.
I thought he was very lucky to get away with that stupid bit of dribbling in his own box also got away with other mistakes that could’ve been costly and he won’t get away with it against better opposition. I like the guy but IMO he was very poor today.

Helander has been playing in the bigger games and balogun the more run of mill games so pretty sure SG sees helander ahead

In previous seasons a CB would need to be on a poor run of form to be replaced. This season Helander had 2 errors v Benfica and he’s been out the team since.
What a great place for us to be.

I thought he was very lucky to get away with that stupid bit of dribbling in his own box also got away with other mistakes that could’ve been costly and he won’t get away with it against better opposition. I like the guy but IMO he was very poor today.

I thought it his worst game yet as well but to class it a nightmare is ridiculous. My definition of a nightmare would be Helanders Benfica debacle. A lack of pace will be exploited by better players so let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Balogun was a bit careless at times today and it’s very unlike him

I can’t make up my mind who is best partner for Goldson

Helander had a nightmare v Benfica but has been steady this season up until that game when he sold the jerseys for 2 of their goals

Let’s see who is picked on Thursday but our defence has been superb so far so it’s a good position to be in

I expect Helander to play on Thursday, Gerrard seems to often change Goldson's partner in European games from who started the previous weekend.

To be honest, I thought Balogun was quite slack today and could have cost us a goal a couple of times.
I can’t see Gerrard risking Helander against the pace and trickery of Benfica. Brophy turned him inside out during the Kilmarnock game and he was absolutely shocking against Benfica.

Balogun, whilst he wasn’t at his best today would for me be a better option against a mobile, counter attacking team like Benfica. I genuinely think Helanders performance against Benfica was a bit of a shock to Gerrard, his dithering and lack of pace cost us dearly. (I am not his biggest fan)

Balogun is a good, generally solid, option. Helander would be my preference, though he’s not comfortable against pace.

No. He was the weakest player in the team today. He didnt have a bad game as such just a few dodgey moments. I do like goldson and helander. Other than the errors against benfica helander has been solid

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.
For me it’s still helander , nice problem to have though.

I don't know how people can say they prefer Katic over Helander or Balogun. I like Katic but until he can demonstrate he has quit making stupid mistakes that cost us points they two are well ahead of him.

I can’t see Gerrard risking Helander against the pace and trickery of Benfica. Brophy turned him inside out during the Kilmarnock game and he was absolutely shocking against Benfica.

Balogun, whilst he wasn’t at his best today would for me be a better option against a mobile, counter attacking team like Benfica. I genuinely think Helanders performance against Benfica was a bit of a shock to Gerrard, his dithering and lack of pace cost us dearly. (I am not his biggest fan)
Helander (Benfica apart) has been absolutely outstanding this season.

Wrong time to start this thread. I like Balogun but that was probably his worst effort today.

Couple of unforced errors and got caught out by Hedges pace .

I'll be surprised if Helander isntt back in on Thursday.

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.
i thik horses for courses and as we expected lots of the ball today Balogun got the gig - Helander will be back for Thu

Up until recently, I've seen Helander as our best defender. He's had a couple of off games, but he'll come good again. I think Balogun is 3rd choice ultimately, but what a good 3rd choice he is.

Back