Is Balogun now our 2nd choice centre back?

Helander was injured for majority of the season, until then he was starting when fit. Katic came in & done very well till his howler in Perth. This lead to Katic becoming 4th choice by March, now I like Niko but he’s by no means Gerrard’s trusted Lieutenant.

It’s fairly obvious that Helander & Goldson is the best partnership with Balogun coming in for certain games or when Fil’s needing a recovery.

When Niko is fit I’m sure he’ll get game time but he won’t be 1st choice.
According to transfermarket his injury history was 27 days last season sept - Oct then 10 days in April ankle injury was more katic form that kept him out the team last season , he mad a couple of mistake after the turn of the year then was dropped after words , but who didn’t last season , goldson was getting hammered for his mistakes also , again just my opinion I wouldn’t have katic as 4th choice

According to transfermarket his injury history was 27 days last season sept - Oct then 10 days in April ankle injury was more katic form that kept him out the team last season , he mad a couple of mistake after the turn of the year then was dropped after words , but who didn’t last season , goldson was getting hammered for his mistakes also , again just my opinion I wouldn’t have katic as 4th choice
Are you taking the piss?. Only joking bud, but...

Transfer market isn't reliable, he came injured from Bologna then was out for 9 months from December - September :))

Nothing to do with Katic form, Katic started getting a run when he came on for Helander in the cup final.

Fair enough mate, but he will be 4th choice when he returns. The way he ended last season.

If he wants to move up the ladder then he needs to get better on the ball & stop rushing out/diving in all the time.

Where they when katic was fit ? It wasn’t nailed down partnership ?? I would say was rotated between the pair, And balugun hasn’t played nearly enough games to say he’s better than katic and defo not at his age either
Just checked last season katic played 29 games and hellander 18 so I don’t agree with that atal

It wasn't rotated last season. Helander was injured at start of season so Katic played. Helander then came in and we were flying then got injured at start of December so Katic became a mainstay again.

Goldson and Helander are by far the best at the club.

Katic and Balogun are excellent back ups though.

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.
Personally, I prefer Helander.
Then again, I seldom have my mind made up on a player after less than a dozen games or the adrenaline rush has dropped from the new player.
Balogun started well but made too many individual errors even just yesterday for me to believe he’s a better option than Helander.

I think people are overplaying his dodgy moments today a bit – for the most part, he was solid and won a lot in the air too.
It’s okay saying that but two of Aberdeen’s best chances came from him being caught under the ball
A very basic error for a centre back.

I think he's our second best defender. In saying that I can see him still being swapped with Helander.

It will be interesting to see our lineup against Benfica.

No. I still think Hellander will play most of the big games.
He has had 1 bad game against Benfica, that’s it, and has been faultless other than that.

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.
The best central defender by a country mile.

Not a chance. Helander, in my opinion, has been carrying a slight injury and that's resulted in his sub par performance in Portugal. He will still play all the tough games with Goldson.

Less mistakes than Helander?
Well this season alone you could argue he was at fault for 2 of the goals vs benfica and 1 against hibs , that’s only this season last season he had loads of mistake I’m sure he had a mer against dykes a few times for start, that’s just at the top of my head , last season after turn of tear I think katic made 1 mistake and was out the team

Helander for me too

I don't mind Balogun and think he has his place in the squad but strongest two are Goldson & Helander all day long.

Well this season alone you could argue he was at fault for 2 of the goals vs benfica and 1 against hibs , that’s only this season last season he had loads of mistake I’m sure he had a mer against dykes a few times for start, that’s just at the top of my head , last season after turn of tear I think katic made 1 mistake and was out the team
You didn’t reply to my other post about why Katic got games last season.

Helander struggled with Dykes once, on his second appearance (I think). I was at the game & it looked to be more to do with judging the bounce of the ball on a shanner of a pitch.

Every game after that he had Dykes in his pocket, along with much better strikers for starters.

Katic against St Johnstone was just as bad as Helander v Benfica. Helander obviously has better attributes & has performed better consistently.

It’s why he’s our best defender & will start on Thursday.

Last edited:
You didn’t reply to my other post about why Katic got games last season.

Helander struggled with Dykes once, on his second appearance (I think). I was at the game & it looked to be more to do with judging the bounce on of the ball on a shanner of a pitch.

Every game after that he had Dykes in his pocket, along with much better strikers for starters.

Katic against St Johnstone was just as bad as Helander v Benfica. Helander obviously has better attributes & has performed better consistently.

It’s why he’s our best defender & will start on Thursday.
Let's also not forget Livi had zero shots on target that night. You'd think they rattled 3 by us the way people go on.

What goal was Helander at fault for against Hibs? The one where 6ft2in Christian Doidge, with a starting run, pinned him down while in a static position to head home?

I personally think when katic is fit he should be 1st or 2nd choice centre back

Entitled to your opinion mate, but he'll be 4th choice imo.

Time is on his side and he is already a very good central defender, but the 3 in front of him are exceptional and currently a level above him.

Hopefully he progresses to their level.

Well Transfermarket is talking shite I'm afraid.

Don't you remember Helander getting injured in the LC Final and being out for weeks?

Balogun for me right now. Helander gives me the fear after Lisbon a few weeks ago.

Can't wait for Katic to return and get in on the act too.

We are very fortunate that we now have 5 senior and very capable centre half’s at the Club. The way we play with high full backs inevitably we will be caught out at the back at times and give away chances now and again. They have all made mistakes since they’ve been at the Club, yesterday included, regarding Balogun. You can’t expect them to not make mistakes but hopefully you don’t get punished too often. That’s football. For what it’s worth imo Goldson and Helander would be my first choice pairing.

It’s okay saying that but two of Aberdeen’s best chances came from him being caught under the ball
A very basic error for a centre back.
Correct and those types of ball are what we face domestically every week. For me its Helander and Goldson as our strongest pairing

I can see why some like Katić as he clearly leaves it all on the pitch and seems a great guy but some are blinded towards him, he is nowhere near as good as Goldson, Balogun and Helander. Of course only my opinion but Katić has a lot of deficiencies that are still glaring - he’s improved in stuff he was already good at and stagnated with stuff he was not so good at.

Back