Is Balogun now our 2nd choice centre back?

Galstonian Oranje

Official Ticketer
I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.

Had a few shaky moments today but overall another solid performance.

I don't think we necessarily have one 2nd choice centre back, I think both Helander and Balogun are our second choice centre backs.

I think he was preferred today because we knew we would be playing a high line and his pace would be useful.

helander will play against benfica and if we were playing the mentally challenged tomorrow he would partner goldson.

I expect Helander to play on Thursday, Gerrard seems to often change Goldson's partner in European games from who started the previous weekend.

To be honest, I thought Balogun was quite slack today and could have cost us a goal a couple of times.

Horses for courses, if we need someone quick on recovery and good for pace, he fits the bill. If we need someone better at reading more intricate attacks, Helander.

I'm not sure how some one can draw the conclusion that Balogun is now ahead of Helander, just on the basis of playing 2 games in a row.

Balogun had a couple of ropey moments today but also some decent defending today.

My only small complaint today would be Balogun looking a tad sloppy. Still it's far from a regular occurrence and it didn't cost us.

Goldson and Helander still our best pairing for me.

Goldson/Helander is clearly our first choice partnership.

Might be changes for certain games, such as today, but those 2 will play the big games.

Helander can struggle playing against a big physical target man. Think he’s still the 2nd CB by quite a distance.

It's really difficult to pick between Balogun, Helander and Katic.

My preference would be Helander but it's such a good position to be in.

It doesn't matter who the gaffer selects because you know you're going to get a performance regardless.

Horses for courses.

Games where we'll be higher up the pitch, it makes sense to have Balogun for his pace.

Helander for me and think he will be back on Thursday. Baloguns poorest performance for us today I thought but assumed he was in the team as I think he is better with the ball than Helander and we were always going to have plenty of it today.

I wouldn’t have said he was poor today. He allowed the runner a bit of space in that second half chance that was eventually blocked by Goldson but that came from Morelos losing possession in the middle iirc.

He had a couple of awkward moments in our own box but one was from a dodgy pass from McGregor and the other a slip on a wet surface. He recovered in both. He also drew the penalty and could have had another one later on.

He’s a solid defender. As is Helander. I’d be confident with either on Thursday. Will be interesting to see how SG juggles them going forward.

Helander is much better than Balogun IMO.

Balogun was very fortunate not to give away a goal on a couple of occasions today.

Reactions: Gee
Back