Is Balogun now our 2nd choice centre back?

His lack of pace gets exposed against better teams, he’s good facing the opposition goal but when he gets turned he is very vulnerable.
When? Benfica is the only time this has cost us, and he had a horror show. His reading of the game makes up for his lack of pace. If he was as quick as Balogun he'd be miles out of our price range.

Helander over Balogun every day of the week for me.

Goldson is clearly the number one CB and Helander/Balogun will be rotated.

I'm just happy to have four cracking centre backs in Goldson, Helander, Balogun and Katić. We've also got Edmundson and Mayo too.

I thought Balogun looked shaky in moments today, on the whole he's been extremely solid thus far.

Some of the comments about Helander on here . The guys the best defender we’ve had since King Carlos FFS.

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

For me, he has to stay in the team for now.
Wasn’t impressed by him today IMO Helander is by far the better option

Was glad to see Balogun in today but he was shaky. Helander's lack of pace scares me at times. I guess they will both play a similar amount of games dependinhmg on the oposition

I know there will be squad rotation but it looks like Balogun is becoming the go to man to partner Goldson.

Helander is a good defender with experience and great reading of the game. However, Balogun is playing well and has the jersey at the moment. He offers more pace and extra height than Helander.

He was shite today. And that's coming from a guy who out a thread yo about how good he was the other day. But it's only human to have a wee bad performance. Helander is 2nd choice to goldson. Fact

Helander is the best defender at the club. Most experience at the highest level and over the course has looked comfortably like the least error prone defender in the side. I think the Helander - Goldson partnership has looked fantastic. Should note that Goldson has went to another level this season and has for my money, been our best defender so far this season.

Definitely not. Helander and Goldson are far and away the best partnership. Last season we were doing well until helander got injured. People forget that.

Balogun is the third best centre half in the country though.

This thread goes to show how much first impressions are worth to fans, we’ve yet to lose a league game with Helander but because he struggled with Dykes once who he then pocketed with ease in the other fixture and struggled vs a top quality Portuguese team he is extremely slow (not that he is fast) and overrated.

He was the correct choice today as the sheep had two big lumps uo front so it was about dealing with high balls and Balogun is a bit better in the air.

Helander is still better, he’s our best ‘defender’ but Goldson is our most important.

This thread goes to show how much first impressions are worth to fans, we’ve yet to lose a league game with Helander but because he struggled with Dykes once who he then pocketed with ease in the other fixture and struggled vs a top quality Portuguese team he is extremely slow (not that he is fast) and overrated.
A lot of people are just clueless tbh.

I prefer Helander. Balogun might be a yard faster but Helander is better in the air, plays the ball forward quicker and accurately and reads the game really well.

Goldson and Helander for me. The only time I’ve been worried was the Benfica game when Helander got done for pace a few times. I expect Gerrard knows who to play depending on the opposition.

Except for a shaky performance recently, Helander is the better footballer and provides a better partnership for Goldson imo. That said, Balogun is cruising in these league games.

Balogun was very dodgy today and could have cost us another clean sheet. All defenders have errors in them and just like keepers mistakes they are highlighted more as they usually result in a goal. Im happy with Goldson and Helander despite the latters aberrations v Benfica.

Based on the fact that Goldson and Helander are our first choice pairing. Balogun has filled in well and we’ve conceded 3 league goals in 15 games. Also Katic hasn’t made less mistakes than Helander.
Where they when katic was fit ? It wasn’t nailed down partnership ?? I would say was rotated between the pair, And balugun hasn’t played nearly enough games to say he’s better than katic and defo not at his age either
Just checked last season katic played 29 games and hellander 18 so I don’t agree with that atal

Goldson and Balogun complement each
other so well,would always be my first choice pairing.;)

Helander will be back Thursday.

Personally felt Balogun looked like a guy leggy from travelling and had a few errors in his game today that the manager will have noted.
I hope not, we need pace on Thursday, I'd put helander back in next weekend

Where they when katic was fit ? It wasn’t nailed down partnership ?? I would say was rotated between the pair, And balugun hasn’t played nearly enough games to say he’s better than katic and defo not at his age either
Just checked last season katic played 29 games and hellander 18 so I don’t agree with that atal
Helander was injured for majority of the season, until then he was starting when fit. Katic came in & done very well till his howler in Perth. This lead to Katic becoming 4th choice by March, now I like Niko but he’s by no means Gerrard’s trusted Lieutenant.

It’s fairly obvious that Helander & Goldson is the best partnership with Balogun coming in for certain games or when Fil’s needing a recovery.

When Niko is fit I’m sure he’ll get game time but he won’t be 1st choice.

I prefer Katic and Goldson.
However this could upset the apple cart.
Helander at the start was a bit iffy.
But has now settled in well and is better than katic / balogun.
Imo Katic is still learning his trade, so time is on his side.
He now moves in front of edmunson after his antics.

Back