Is BCD making us more savvy as a support?

jefftracy

Just wondering if we are becoming more clued up regarding our tactics/formation etc with all our games on TV. When I'm at the game I'm so wrapped up in it that I don't really see all the different aspects of what we are doing whereas now with the in depth analysis on Rangers TV and Heart and Hand explaining it all in detail compared with MSM I feel I've got a greater understanding. Anyone else the same?

Going by the stick morelos was getting on the match thread on sunday then no , people didnt see that him playing deeper allowed roofe the spaces to run in to
You won't get a bigger Morelos fan than me but you know that's not the reason if you read it. People were going loopy on the thread for him giving the ball away, not at his position. I wasn't one of them.

He's still the most talented player in Scotland who always works hard. His top form will return.

Just wondering if we are becoming more clued up regarding our tactics/formation etc with all our games on TV. When I'm at the game I'm so wrapped up in it that I don't really see all the different aspects of what we are doing whereas now with the in depth analysis on Rangers TV and Heart and Hand explaining it all in detail compared with MSM I feel I've got a greater understanding. Anyone else the same?
I certainly have benefited from the sort of analysis that I hear on H&H and from my seat in the CD now take more notice of shape and movement, our build up at times is tremendous and spending a few minutes just watching Steve Davis can be like watching midfielders master class.

The RTV coverage has been excellent but I want back in the ground.

Perhaps this extended period away from our usual seats will make us more appreciative of being there and perhaps less prone to moan & groan quite so much, get in before the games start and stay until the end in order to see as much of our team as possible.

Some might even turn up less pished/high or whatever?

Bring on 55 in any event.

The match day thread is dreadful every week. Admin should be banning the usual suspects who have nothing positive to say.

We are winning and winning well yet some are not happy.

I deliberately stayed away from it at the weekend till half time, then logged in expecting to read about how well we were playing. Instead they were arguing about Morelos and how poorly or otherwise he was playing. That was me out again till the finish. If you can't enjoy the way we're playing at the moment then you never will.

Just no. I take your point about post-match analysis but TV coverage forces you to watch the ball.

Sitting high in the middle of Ibrox/any football stadium gives you a much better representation of how a game is actually going and the important thing is how players are running off the ball - especially the way we are playing this season.

TV football is like watching a match wearing blinkers.

One of the most powerful pieces of tactical advice came from a guy sitting a couple of rows back who screamed out "Kick It!".

I remember thinking at the time "wonder if the gaffer has suggested that to them - it could just work" :)):)):))
Brilliant!

I hope so but I doubt it long term
I do think it’s helping some of the players, less fear

Just no. I take your point about post-match analysis but TV coverage forces you to watch the ball.

Sitting high in the middle of Ibrox/any football stadium gives you a much better representation of how a game is actually going and the important thing is how players are running off the ball - especially the way we are playing this season.

My seat is at pitch level and along at the end of WE which was part of the reason for my OP, but more to do with the way the better analysis we now get can point out tweaks made during the game and other subtle changes that I don't pick up on. I could have the best seat in the house and still not be able to work out all the things that can influence a game.

I'm no expert at football but I do know the game has changed massively over the last 20 years. What I do find is I miss the match day experience but I don't miss the impatience of our home support. Watching the game on TV I frequently see long passages of neutral play finished off with a burst of pace or change of tempo that creates an opening. I honestly believe those passages would be greeted with frustration from our home support which would transmit to the players.
I also think that without the deep sighs and moans that greet the odd story pass players are prepared to take on more difficult moves and movement.
I am hoping that by the time we get back it will have become an ingrained habit, firstly with the players through their growing confidence but also with us and our growing understanding and patience.
It will be great to see the team play the same way and the support respond with "positivity"

WATP

Got my abbreviations mixed up for a second there and thought the fanbase was on CBD oil there.

I'm no expert at football but I do know the game has changed massively over the last 20 years. What I do find is I miss the match day experience but I don't miss the impatience of our home support. Watching the game on TV I frequently see long passages of neutral play finished off with a burst of pace or change of tempo that creates an opening. I honestly believe those passages would be greeted with frustration from our home support which would transmit to the players.

I also think that without the deep sighs and moans that greet the odd story pass players are prepared to take on more difficult moves and movement.

I am hoping that by the time we get back it will have become an ingrained habit, firstly with the players through their growing confidence but also with us and our growing understanding and patience.
It will be great to see the team play the same way and the support respond with "positivity"

WATP
The first paragraph I’ve highlighted is exactly why I believe especially in Europe we are much more confident on controlling the game, we are not as prone to give up cheap possession punting balls forward like we used to do, inviting pressure on ourselves.
The second paragraph, some players in bad form may well think of taking a safer option if they know a high risk pass that doesn’t come off will get 50k worth of a moan from the stands.

Yes ... and then a FF match day thread is up and it's a No

“that’s two bad passes, get him aff at hawf time”

It probably has helped a lot of people to gain a greater understanding of how we play. But I can tell you now when fans are allowed back in just as many will be back to giving it “fuckin hit it!!” the minute one of our players crosses the halfway line.

I feel it certainly helps us at the moment, but I think everyone has too much time to think about the games, normally we would be in the pub having a beer waiting on the bus , bit of banter heading to the game .. We are now sitting, waiting at home , on social media, on here reading all sorts of shite from clueless panic merchants, it doesn’t help...

I’m enjoying it , after the first goal goes in .. lol

Going by the stick morelos was getting on the match thread on sunday then no , people didnt see that him playing deeper allowed roofe the spaces to run in to
Not even the first time he has played that role against Aberdeen either, he done it in August and all three games last season as well. Their defence have no idea what to do when he drops back because their job is just to foul and antagonise him but if they follow him they're left open as %^*&.

I was one of them to question Morelos on Sunday. I wasn't happy that he give Aberdeen 3 chances to score with poor link up play in our own final third. A lot of people seemingly thought that was fine because "he's playing deeper man" as if that makes everything rosy.

I really don't understand how people can go to football for 30 years and have such little understanding of the game as so many seem to.

As someone posted "GET IT UP THE PARK RANGERS" is just such a common thing to hear, no thought to drawing teams out or moving players out of position. Not to blame more senior bears but its especially from your fans over 40, so much so that it has made me question what football used to be like.

I really don't understand how people can go to football for 30 years and have such little understanding of the game as so many seem to.

As someone posted "GET IT UP THE PARK Rangers" is just such a common thing to hear, no thought to drawing teams out or moving players out of position. Not to blame more senior bears but its especially from your fans over 40, so much so that it has made me question what football used to be like.
Not sure it's anything to do with age. I'm a fair bit over the 40 that you mention and am frequently amazed at how people of all ages can know so little.

People who are absolutely passionate about the game, can quote stats, identify players, club badges, stadiums, nicknames and the like but know absolutely nothing about tactics, the nuances of the game and, most surprisingly, the actual laws of the game.

Perhaps you just sit beside some stupid older bears :))

Where we sit we have some fairly knowledgeable older guys around us but some younger guys who are incredibly unintelligent in terms of football. From their conversation they are nowhere near stupid but when it comes to football they clearly just don't get it and some of the things they say are truly comical.

The "kick it!" guy is, however, of a similar age to myself though :)

The match day thread is dreadful every week. Admin should be banning the usual suspects who have nothing positive to say.

We are winning and winning well yet some are not happy.
The same people at Ibrox that would have been on the teams back after conceding three corners in a row to Aberdeen.

I honestly believe we are better without the toxic Ibrox atmosphere behind us as depressing as that sounds. The last few years have been getting worse and worse for the moaners.

Players will be missing the fans just as much as we are missing being there. Sick and tired of reading people lay the boot into other fans on here. Aye, Ibrox can be toxic at times. All football stadiums are. The team are playing well because of themselves and the management team, absolutely zero to do with the fact the behind closed doors.

In regards to the original posters theory, I agree. I’m usually way too caught up in the moment at the games partly due to emotion and partly due to alcohol and I also sit in the Broomloan so the TV angle is helping me see more things than I typically would.

You won't get a bigger Morelos fan than me but you know that's not the reason if you read it. People were going loopy on the thread for him giving the ball away, not at his position. I wasn't one of them.

He's still the most talented player in Scotland who always works hard. His top form will return.
I would already say he is in top form and has been all season, it’s well documented his lack of goals this year but that is all down to the manager and his tactics and how he asks everyone including Alfie to play.
Like you I’m a massive Alfie fan and stuck bye him even through all those petulant red cards as there has always been a diamond of a player there, he just needed to learn and is now reaping the rewards as he is listening to those around him ie the manager and coaches, there will always be a slight rough edge on our diamond but even with that I’m sure there will be teams that will really splash the cash when it comes to him, another season or two with us with medals in his pocket and champions league appearances and we will be laughing all the way to the bank with the lad.
As regards to the ops assessment of us fans, you’ll always get the haters that hate certain players as our support isn’t exempt from having tadgers but I do think it’ll have helped some fans see the games in a different way, well hopefully.

He was receiving stick for being careless in possession. That's got absolutely nothing to do with his new role. See the game in Benfica when his head was screwed on and his hold up play and distribution was excellent.

Players will be missing the fans just as much as we are missing being there. Sick and tired of reading people lay the boot into other fans on here. Aye, Ibrox can be toxic at times. All football stadiums are. The team are playing well because of themselves and the management team, absolutely zero to do with the fact the behind closed doors.

In regards to the original posters theory, I agree. I’m usually way too caught up in the moment at the games partly due to emotion and partly due to alcohol and I also sit in the Broomloan so the TV angle is helping me see more things than I typically would.
Really hope you are correct NU, but comments about feeling pressure last season plants the seeds of doubt that BCD hasn’t helped (some players).

You would hope so, but then you have the "gerrit in the boax" squad, still posting during a game you're 8-0 up in, whining.

Last edited:
my mate who is in his mid 60s line is always " get it up the f*ckin park " ............ his reasoning is the opposition cant score from there

I have to bite my tongue at Ibrox so many times by the shouts you hear around, some are incredible .. only part I don’t miss haha

There are some faces around me who I’ve seen a long time . I know they’ve watched a lot of football as I’ve seen some for decades .
What amazes me is that having watched football for so long , they have not one iota of a clue what they are seeing/watching .
I can tell this because of the utter garbage they spout , week in week out .

Reactions: TN8
Ages since i’ve Heard ‘for fucks sake Tav.’ Missing the twats that sit around me in the Govan Rear.

Switched my season ticket to Govan Rear so when we get back hopefully a more positive me will be replacing someone who moans constantly. Every little counts :)

On the OP question I don’t think behind closed doors particularly impacts how we regard the team or the tactics. We’re playing really well and would appreciate that as much if we were at the games, I think. But I do think it helps those players who struggle when a pass is misplaced or a tackle is missed and the immediate groans get to them. Rangers players need very thick skins and they don’t all have that.

I thought we were all experts already.
Knew more than our management, Mourinho and Guardiola put together.
Knew everything about body language and mentality too.

There are some faces around me who I’ve seen a long time . I know they’ve watched a lot of football as I’ve seen some for decades .
What amazes me is that having watched football for so long , they have not one iota of a clue what they are seeing/watching .
I can tell this because of the utter garbage they spout , week in week out .
Same. My da's one of them, unfortunately. At least he sits behind me so I can pretend I don't know him.

Ever tried watching from high behind the goal?
Personally, I learned so much.
I could see the gaps, see the formation at work defensively, apart from the lines across the pitch and how close the midfield and defence were, or weren’t.
You could also see a lot more of what players do when not in possession and again when it’s the opposition who have possession.
I know that the more qualified than I (I’m serious there) can see a lot of this from the sides, and I’m much better at this myself now but behind the goal was brilliant for me.
So much so that my mate and I occasionally get Broomloan rear tickets for specific games.
One such game was against Kilmarnock where we knew they’d be ultra defensive, before I’d heard of “low block” and “park the bus” was the terminology.
It’s hard to believe the space nine defenders, yes, and ten as well, cover.
The only players who didn’t have five yards of space in front of them were the wide players.

Back