Is Champions League guaranteed

M4rk

I apologise if this has already been discussed and I missed it (feel free to delete if not relevant anymore). Does the winner of the the league get into the CL group stage? I remember reading a while back it was "almost" a certainty rather than a done deal. Obviously a hard season to go, not trying to get ahead of ourselves here but just wanted to double check my facts here

Start in the Play-off round

Direct Group Stage entry is dependent on CL winners 2021/22 qualifying for CL group stage 2022/23 via their own League

The chances of the winners coming from a team outside the top 4 in one of the top 5 leagues must be extremely small.

The predictability of the CL for once could be a good thing for us, provided we do the business come May.

Thanks all, appreciated. Keep seeing in the news that the league gives us direct entry to CL group, where I was positive there is a "if, but or maybe" attached somewhere

The chances of the winners coming from a team outside the top 4 in one of the top 5 leagues must be extremely small.

The predictability of the CL for once could be a good thing for us, provided we do the business come May.
You just know it’s going to happen this year don’t you!

Besiktas last season only had group stage football this season confirmed on the last day of the EPL season once Chelsea finished 4th - had Chelsea finished 5th then only a Manchester City win would allowed them group stage football

There are no more than a handful or so teams in the CL who are likely to win it. Think the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, none of whom are likely to fail to qualify for next seasons CL through their league position.

Were Liverpool the first team to do it? I remember a bit of an issue when they won in 2005 and had finished 5th, don't think there was a ruling in place and was a chance they would be given the 4th teams place, which just so happened to be Everton

Reactions: TQ3
Liverpool in 05, and Chelsea in 12 are the only teams I can think of not to qualify through their league.

I think this season could be a lottery. Both us and Celtic are struggling to string three results together. Would like to see us going into the next OF game 6+ and really put them under pressure. If it is tight it could all come down to the January window.

Were Liverpool the first team to do it? I remember a bit of an issue when they won in 2005 and had finished 5th, don't think there was a ruling in place and was a chance they would be given the 4th teams place, which just so happened to be Everton
Liverpool had to start in the 1st Qualifying round as a result, England had 5 team

When Chelsea won it in 2012 they replaced Tottenham who finish 4th as only 4 teams from one country could take part at that time

Liverpool had to start in the 1st Qualifying round as a result, England had 5 team

When Chelsea won it in 2012 they replaced Tottenham who finish 4th as only 4 teams from one country could take part at that time
I think the 4 team maximum may have come in place as a result of Liverpool then. I'm sure I remember them scrambling about to find a solution and it was maybe deemed too harsh to just suddenly kick Everton out so that rule was put in place from then on

I think the 4 team maximum may have come in place as a result of Liverpool then. I'm sure I remember them scrambling about to find a solution and it was maybe deemed too harsh to just suddenly kick Everton out so that rule was put in place from then on
I think it did

Chelsea only finished a point clear of 5th this year so it isn’t that big a stretch.

Liverpool in 05, and Chelsea in 12 are the only teams I can think of not to qualify through their league.
Real Madrid won the CL in 2000 and finished 5th in La Liga. They also won the CL in 1997/98 and finished 4th domestically when it was still only the top two that qualified for the CL.

Real Madrid won the CL in 2000 and finished 5th in La Liga. They also won the CL in 1997/98 and finished 4th domestically when it was still only the top two that qualified for the CL.
Cheers mate, I’m going to use the old “before my time” excuse :))

Back