Is David Holmes still living

I remember that clearly , a complete disgrace of a question , the mans wife standing there, Holmes gave the right answer and slapped him down , only in Scotland would you get away with asking such a personal and bigoted question on one of the biggest days of your life .

Pathetic . As someone else said , some things never change .
never ever seen this clip before

Apologies for a possibly stupid question here, but I can’t open any links or clips due to my location.
Was Chris Woods a Catholic? Not that I give a monkeys, it’s just that it’s another one that could be thrown back at Timmy.
I’m fairly sure it was rumoured that Butcher was too when he signed?

and that was the begining of the agenda

They certainly ( the vermin ) Hated the idea that we would openly sign catholic players as they preferred us pidgeonholed as we were ( despite us having signed plenty catholic players long before then ) .

They will never get over Mo Jo as he blew the lid off it for good , but the likes of Neil McCann they hate the most .

If this current crop we have can win 55 I’m hazarding a guess( as I don’t know and don’t care ) that half our first team at least will be catholic players , and it’s of no consequence to any Rangers fan but will fester among large swathes of the Celtic “ faithful” :rolleyes:.

We see Defoe , Ojo, big Aribo, Goldson , katic , Alfie , hopefully Kent again all wear that blue strip and that’s all we care about, wear it and play well and win . As Mr Holmes said 35 years ago .

The best most forward thinking chairman in my lifetime. His role in the rise of our club is sadly is understated. One man whose hand I would love to shake and say thank you to

David Holmes on Sportscene, Pittodrie 87 after we had won the league.

He was talking about his ambition for Rangers and to be Kings of Europe, he then made a toast to all the Rangers supporters all around the world.

I remember watching with all the family, it was a sensational and exciting time to be a Rangers fan.

A great chairman and he was ruthless when he needed to be.he decided after the 4-4 draw against the yahoos that jock Wallace had to go when he heard jock say he was delighted with the result.holmes was of the view no rangers manager should be delighted at drawing with a ten man Celtic at Ibrox.i suspect though jock was going to be sacked as we were so abysmal that season anyway but that game and reaction to it made david holmes mind up

Any excuse to post the video below. It’s a fantastic account of that first season under Souness. It still gives me goosebumps watching this video.
Probably my favourite ever year supporting Rangers. I was 15 that summer and had been following Rangers properly for about the last 4 years, the last time we had won the league I was only 7, so I never really knew what winning a championship was about.
That summer was amazing, back in the days before internet, you had to rely on the Scottish news or radio bulletins for any signing news. It seemed like every day we were linked with or signed a major name in football, it was surreal really after so many years of being bang average and miles off winning a league championship.

Would love to see him back at Ibrox and properly honoured by the fans. I dont think we have ever had the opportunity to thank him.
Well said.
Something should be organised in this regard.
maybe have the magnificent bastard himself introduce mr Holmes on to the pitch where he is presented with a gift of some sort.
imagine the roar. Both of them together then unfurl championship flag number 55

One of the first things he did was to scrap the rigid wage structure that was in place and that allowed souness to go and get butcher etc

A man who never played for,nor even supported the club,he was at Ibrox for less than 5 years but, is indisputedly one of the most important individuals in our history. Without David Holmes, where would we be today?
His interview at Pittodrie in May 1987 was quite magnificent, he wasn't born a Ranger but by god he became a Ranger.
He was treated shabbily by the bastard who took over control in 1988.
I'd love to see David Holmes take a bow in front of a packed Ibrox. It's the least we should do for a man to whom we owe so much.

P.S. I don't think it's in the recorded interview but he was certainly quoted as saying that he was genuinely shocked at the hatred and envy that was directed at the club. He stated that only three clubs sent their congratulations on our winning our first title in nine years.

The hatred and envy is nothing new.

A great chairman and he was ruthless when he needed to be.he decided after the 4-4 draw against the yahoos that jock Wallace had to go when he heard jock say he was delighted with the result.holmes was of the view no rangers manager should be delighted at drawing with a ten man Celtic at Ibrox.i suspect though jock was going to be sacked as we were so abysmal that season anyway but that game and reaction to it made david holmes mind up

A nice story but Walter Smith was approached in February about becoming assistant. And Graeme Souness was talking about becoming player-manager of Rangers the day Jock Stein died.

A nice story but Walter Smith was approached in February about becoming assistant. And Graeme Souness was talking about becoming player-manager of Rangers the day Jock Stein died.
Remember the documentary on scottish football that was on around that time and they had that quote from souness about wanting to be rangers manager on film but had cut it,they quickly re edited it and put it in.

Remember the documentary on scottish football that was on around that time and they had that quote from souness about wanting to be rangers manager on film but had cut it,they quickly re edited it and put it in.

I’m sure it was Jim White that had gone over to Italy to interview Souness.

The Souness and Holmes interviews at the end of this are great, watch this regularly when I've had a few too many and get home after a night out. Love the memories.

It still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end when Butchers header bullets into the back of the net, what’s supposed to be the Aberdeen end erupts, the bears have completely taken over their end.

That may not be a fair reflection of Jock Wallace. Perhaps he wasn't delighted with the result, but perhaps he was glad in what he saw in players that day. I am probably in a minority, but I think Wallace was on the verge of creating something special at Rangers just as that season had ended; another season and Durrant, Ferguson, Fleck, Burns, and McPherson would have quite possibly blossomed under him. Most of them, for one reason or another, didn't have the career at Rangers they should have. Jock Wallace is quite possibly the most under-rated figure at Rangers; in my opinion he was a better manager than Souness.

I’m sure it was Jim White that had gone over to Italy to interview Souness.
I am pretty sure it’s the morning of the Wales v Scotland World Cup game in 85 it was just a throwaway line.it featured on a bbc Scotland documentry that was on around the time souness was appointed.

That may not be a fair reflection of Jock Wallace. Perhaps he wasn't delighted with the result, but perhaps he was glad in what he saw in players that day. I am probably in a minority, but I think Wallace was on the verge of creating something special at Rangers just as that season had ended; another season and Durrant, Ferguson, Fleck, Burns, and McPherson would have quite possibly blossomed under him. Most of them, for one reason or another, didn't have the career at Rangers they should have. Jock Wallace is quite possibly the most under-rated figure at Rangers; in my opinion he was a better manager than Souness.
Don’t get me wrong I loved jock Wallace and to be fair to him the bulk of the squad he put togeather did win the league the next season.

A man who never played for,nor even supported the club,he was at Ibrox for less than 5 years but, is indisputedly one of the most important individuals in our history. Without David Holmes, where would we be today?
His interview at Pittodrie in May 1987 was quite magnificent, he wasn't born a Ranger but by god he became a Ranger.
He was treated shabbily by the bastard who took over control in 1988.
I'd love to see David Holmes take a bow in front of a packed Ibrox. It's the least we should do for a man to whom we owe so much.

P.S. I don't think it's in the recorded interview but he was certainly quoted as saying that he was genuinely shocked at the hatred and envy that was directed at the club. He stated that only three clubs sent their congratulations on our winning our first title in nine years.

The hatred and envy is nothing new.
Did he say who the three clubs were?

The Souness and Holmes interviews at the end of this are great, watch this regularly when I've had a few too many and get home after a night out. Love the memories.

For me one of the best lines in a commentary on one of our games as the final whistle “the rangers supporters have broken ranks and on they come”

Any excuse to post the video below. It’s a fantastic account of that first season under Souness. It still gives me goosebumps watching this video.
Probably my favourite ever year supporting Rangers. I was 15 that summer and had been following Rangers properly for about the last 4 years, the last time we had won the league I was only 7, so I never really knew what winning a championship was about.
That summer was amazing, back in the days before internet, you had to rely on the Scottish news or radio bulletins for any signing news. It seemed like every day we were linked with or signed a major name in football, it was surreal really after so many years of being bang average and miles off winning a league championship.

Cheers for that mate!

Sitting enjoying watching that, I was born in 91 so didn’t see it. To think that this season could even eclipse what was felt back then is foaming at the mooth material.

Cheers for that mate!

Sitting enjoying watching that, I was born in 91 so didn’t see it. To think that this season could even eclipse what was felt back then is foaming at the mooth material.

That was the first league win I can really remember, it is a season that will always stick in my mind. Our next league win will probably be a bigger celebration though, I don’t mind admitting right here and now that I’ll be bawling my eyes out, at one stage I thought I would never see us win a league title ever again, if we can win one more I’ll be a contented man.

That was the first league win I can really remember, it is a season that will always stick in my mind. Our next league win will probably be a bigger celebration though, I don’t mind admitting right here and now that I’ll be bawling my eyes out, at one stage I thought I would never see us win a league title ever again, if we can win one more I’ll be a contented man.

F.uck, what kind of state will you be in in May 2021 when we win the Champions League?

Thanks for that video. Splendid, just splendid

Thanks for posting the video - hadn't seen it before. :)).

He is and should be the first non player inducted into the hall of fame, imo.
Couldn't agree more. Sounness was the man but none of it would have come about without Holmes. He personified everything that is Rangers. An absolute class act who took no shit from no one. The blazer the tie. He should already be in the HOF

I openly admitted to the Mrs al be bawling my eyes out too mate so you won’t be alone haha!

g71DQO0.png
Still love that top to this day...

I was 30 years old then, and don't be too judgemental, was one of the pitch invaders that day from the Beach End. It almost( I said almost) equalled the euphoria of Easter Rd 1975. A few reflections.

The quality of players on the park, in both teams, was amazing compared to now.
Rangers fans in both ends of Pittodrie and scattered in amongst the Aberdeen fans too.
The BBC production being even handed and effusive about our Club and the Rangers fans.

How times have changed:(

Back