If Alfredo leaves

People are talking like it’s inevitable Morelos will leave the club before we play another game, can anyone name me a better goal scorer we could realistically bring in to replace him? He has his faults like all of us but I think he could spearhead our 55th title. We definitely need a (mentally) stronger squad with more bullies and more goal contribution from midfielders like Steve Davis and Glen Kamara, but I think we are writing the kid off too early. Or is his planned departure already funding a team reconstruction? I’d love to see him score against the mhanky mob and get it right round the Lego muncher and TLB:))
If we had to replace Alfredo I think the Egyptian guy we were linked with Mostafa Mohammed ,could be a good replacement, I am only basing this on what I've seen of him on YouTube but he can score goals with bothfeet and also his head.

If anybody is buying him then they’ve a long wait - unless it’s a team in Colombia.

International flights out of Colombia have been banned until 1 Sep at the earliest. Then there’s 14 days quarantine after that. Not ideal - whether he stays or goes.

I know people who have left Colombia on some kind of humanitarian or diplomatic flight in the last couple of weeks. They are civilians and had been "stuck there" over a month.
That leads me to believe that an international footballer will be able to get out to go back to his club if he needed to.

It's time for him to go. Squeeze what we can financially and get in a replacement. What he is worth will be dictated by the market not us on here.

The thought of Defoe playing 30+ games next season terrifies me tbh. We can only play one style with him and if we are under pressure we can’t expect him to hold up, if he had to stay I’d have preferred it was on a player/coach deal as he’s on too large a wage, if the reports of him being on 15k a week, for third choice, resources could’ve been spent better imo.

Defoe can't possibly be our main striker next season, but he is very useful in certain games for us, particularly at home.

Don't forget he scored more goals for us than Morelos did in the league and from less games.

We still need another striker, even if Morelos stays and 2 if he leaves, but definitely not Kamberi.

Reactions: cav
Despite UK media not repeating stories coming out of Columbia about his compassion, given the unwashed fascination with all things RFC, I think that
will become general knowledge and that he could be treated better when he returns, leading to a more settled player and more natural performances.
(agree that parenthood should help too)

Morelos is top quality but his major flaw is his mentality he can't be trusted too stay focussed for the whole season and falls of a cliff at the half season Mark last 2 yrs this for me should see him sold and a replacement found we need a striker focussed for the whole season this year no question.

He wants his big move

The biggest issue we face if selling him now is we will get a much much lower fee than we would have up until January as he was over weight and awful after his ban.

Don tv think clubs are in a position just now to be offering the kind of money we’d want - we cannot accept anything less than £15m even in this current climate.

He needs to move on for both our sakes as he’s will never be given a fair go in Scotland although he doesn’t help himself either .

Don tv think clubs are in a position just now to be offering the kind of money we’d want - we cannot accept anything less than £15m even in this current climate.

I think if we were offered £15 million in the current climate, we'd take it.

The player has made no secret of his desire to leave and £15 million could be well spent strengthening our team.

You could get real value for money at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’d be lucky to get £10m for him with the way things are now, would love is to get him in the shape of his life and give us everything he has in the tank for the coming season, we won’t be able to buy better than him

It’s going to be a depressed market this summer so it’ll be a buyers market, we’ll be doing well to get anywhere near the prices for him some are quoting on here, Ross Wilson will really earn his money this window.

I've said it to my friends down here in London who don't watch Scottish football but if he goes to the EPL he will be a very good player and will likely start at a lower down team and move on from there.

The talent is there and I think he will become a very good player

Boy I work with who's a Leeds fan seems certain morelos is going to them and Barry Douglas is coming to us as part of the deal

He'll be gone imo. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the best time to sell was January. Won't get anything close to £20m for him now.

Low to mid EPL/La Liga/Bundesliga team for around £12 - 15m would be my guess.

The transfer window isn’t open so how can he be signing for anyone.

You do know that deals can be agreed anytime, much the same way Ziyech signed for Chelsea a couple of months back. It's just the players can't actually move until the transfer window.

There's been a rumour that a deal was agreed(but not finalised)with Atleti in January but I think that's probably baseless.

I'm not sure. His agent flew over from America in January and had a face to face meeting with the club. I think there's been some sort of agreement which would explain his abject performances post break.

Nothing looks to be certain in the current climate. A move would be best for both parties unless Alfie can get his head straight and find the form he is capable of.

Hate to be cynical but we said the same last summer. The ban he got after the Celtic game in March had an impact on him and he looked a changed man... then in December he reverted back to type and got sent off twice (harshly in both circumstances but he got involved in things he shouldn’t have). Then you had the whole drama in February of not getting back in time for the Hearts cup game.
He created to much of a circus at times and I can see his teammates starting to get pissed of with those antics if they start occurring again theres only do much a manager can cover for him in those situations as well as coming back unfit from breaks at times. Also the grief he must get off the park must be hard to live with and I wouldn't blame him if he wants out especially now he has a young child.
I love him and we'll be losing a very talented player and a goal scorer and someone who loves the club and the fans but if the right offer comes in I think it's best for all parties if he goes. He can be replaced despite what some say on here.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are all interested, we may live to regret passing up on a loan with an option to buy of €5m. Around March time it was reported they would want €21.5m for him, would assume relegation means that’d be a fair bit less.

Would definitely sign Vydra Grigo if we could get him for £2m. Has that bit of finesse and calmness in front of goal that Alfie doesn’t quite posses yet although I’m hope he’ll learn it, also comfortable with the ball at his feet and dribbling at defenders.

That's a bummer about Guirassy's price & the competition NDC. I really think he could cause #thepaedoclub and the rest real problems. Did we actually have that loan to buy option ? I didn't know that.

Even if we got £15m for Alfie in this market those two would add something different. More pace & guile but probably Guirassy could still give us the physicality ?

Get decent money I’d get rid. Great player, when he wants it.
2nd half of the season he wasn’t interested, add to that the amount he’s let us down.

Hate to be cynical but we said the same last summer. The ban he got after the Celtic game in March had an impact on him and he looked a changed man... then in December he reverted back to type and got sent off twice (harshly in both circumstances but he got involved in things he shouldn’t have). Then you had the whole drama in February of not getting back in time for the Hearts cup game.
Said the same in his first season too.

Maybe time to admit that he can't maintain a consistent level

Great example.

I actually saw some of that match mate & you're right. Amiens beat me for a line that night with the late equaliser :mad:

He would demolish Jullien & Ajer.
Would be gutted if his price has went up I think that's the type of striker we need. The French leagues seem to be a good place to pick up those types of players big athletic players who can also play a bit same with Belgium. I also hope we're still interested in Andre Gray he seems to be out of the first team picture at Watford

Would be gutted if his price has went up I think that's the type of striker we need. The French leagues seem to be a good place to pick up those types of players big athletic players who can also play a bit same with Belgium. I also hope we're still interested in Andre Gray he seems to be out of the first team picture at Watford

That's the kind of striker ive wanted us to have for decades. There's not one central defender in this country who will be close to coping with him.

You just wonder how HIS treatment from the SMSM would be if he came ? The new Alfie
maybe ? It looks like the only way they would stop him.

He created to much of a circus at times and I can see his teammates starting to get pissed of with those antics if they start occurring again theres only do much a manager can cover for him in those situations as well as coming back unfit from breaks at times. Also the grief he must get off the park must be hard to live with and I wouldn't blame him if he wants out especially now he has a young child.
I love him and we'll be losing a very talented player and a goal scorer and someone who loves the club and the fans but if the right offer comes in I think it's best for all parties if he goes. He can be replaced despite what some say on here.

This is where I am with Alfredo now. I absolutely have loved watching his development &
to see him absolutely tear good quality European defences ( eg Maribor & Rapid Vienna ) apart
will never leave me.

But this sordid country has got to him, and it's best for both parties if he gets himself a good
club elsewhere & i'll follow his career from afar.

Said the same in his first season too.

Maybe time to admit that he can't maintain a consistent level
Hard to maintain a consistent level when you are refereed to a different standard to others.I know that some of his behaviours have made it easier for this to happen.Off the park the press and TV coverage has been nothing short of a witch hunt and must have played a big part in his post new year slump
If Morelos played in England he would have been feted and touted for a bright future
He will not be allowed to play here so it's best for Rangers and the player that he goes elsewhere

I hope we do sell if truth be told

When his mind is on the game, he’s superb for us.

However, he has proven that he can’t be relied upon for a full season without getting involved in petty nonsense which results in him being sidelined.

I’m fed up with it and I know plenty others are too

His form up until December had me convinced we’d fetch £20m for him. However, due to his sending off at the piggery and his questionable attitude after that combined with his woeful form, I think we’d be lucky to get £15m for him.

For me, anything north of £10m we’d accept now

He lost all his confidence for one reason or another after the break but strikers need goals for confidence. He had 2 legitimate goals ruled out for absolutely nothing Kilmarnock then I think it was Livi at home where he was flagged for offside despite being 2 yards on.

Whenever he does leave then it's a big hole for us to fill and people will realise just how important a player he was for us. It's genuinely depressing though seeing the likes of Naismith being mentioned to replace him.

Hard to maintain a consistent level when you are refereed to a different standard to others.I know that some of his behaviours have made it easier for this to happen.Off the park the press and TV coverage has been nothing short of a witch hunt and must have played a big part in his post new year slump
If Morelos played in England he would have been feted and touted for a bright future
He will not be allowed to play here so it's best for Rangers and the player that he goes elsewhere
People make endless excuses for him but nobody else in our squad

If we can get 15 million for Morelos we take it! That gives us 8 million to buy a replacement and the rest can go on a goal scoring midfielder and wide attacking player. You are then hoping the board can produce some more funds for left back and possibly right back cover. That’s me also going on the assumption that the money for hagi has been set aside.

He's not going to cost the going rate for that level either though, they're definitely at least interested

They'll have scouts aware of him as is the case with pretty much every Colombia international, but that doesn't mean there's any danger of a deal being done.

They'll have scouts aware of him as is the case with pretty much every Colombia international, but that doesn't mean there's any danger of a deal being done.
As someone else said, his agent has met with the club.

It's also been the odds on destination for him since January, I know that bookies aren't always concrete evidence but there's definitely at least something to it.

As someone else said, his agent has met with the club.

It's also been the odds on destination for him since January, I know that bookies aren't always concrete evidence but there's definitely at least something to it.

Fair doos. I'm not sure the bookies and a bloke on FF are enough to convince me that Morelos is about to sign for, arguably, one of the top five teams on the planet.

Fair doos. I'm not sure the bookies and a bloke on FF are enough to convince me that Morelos is about to sign for, arguably, one of the top five teams on the planet.
All I'm saying is that it's been heavily rumoured for a while now and it isn't baseless.

I'm not ITK but I do know that Simeone likes him

He looks like the sort of player we need, someone to withstand a battering in the league and also someone who can maybe get us up the park if we're under pressure in Europe. Id be surprised if the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc were interested though as he doesnt quite seem that level.

I also don't really get the clamour for Andre Gray, well built but thats it. He had a decent time at Burnley but there's a reason he's out the picture at Watford, his record isn't great and any time Ive seen him play he's looked lost

He looks like the sort of player we need, someone to withstand a battering in the league and also someone who can maybe get us up the park if we're under pressure in Europe. Id be surprised if the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc were interested though as he doesnt quite seem that level.

I also don't really get the clamour for Andre Gray, well built but thats it. He had a decent time at Burnley but there's a reason he's out the picture at Watford, his record isn't great and any time Ive seen him play he's looked lost

FF has been infatuated with him ever since he tore apart a Rangers defence that contained Lee Hodson and Rob Kiernan in a pre-season friendly. He's not a bad player but if we get 10-15 million in for Morelos then we could surely find someone better.

I'm also wary about signing strikers from England. There's no pressure to score every week in the EPL and you can go a few weeks without a goal, but at Rangers that quickly snowballs into a disaster. The mentality is very different and a lot of players have struggled.

Defoe can't possibly be our main striker next season, but he is very useful in certain games for us, particularly at home.

Don't forget he scored more goals for us than Morelos did in the league and from less games.

We still need another striker, even if Morelos stays and 2 if he leaves, but definitely not Kamberi.
He’s still a fantastic finisher no doubt about that but I’m not sure our resources are best spent on a striker who rarely makes an impact when he comes on as a substitute and when he does play we can only play on the floor meaning we are one dimensional.

I definitely agree with you that we need another striker regardless if Morelos leaves or not and that that striker isn’t Florian Kamberi.

Back