Is Gerrards new contract expected today?

Hagi9uk

Official Ticketer
Are we expecting an announcement today on Gerrards new deal?
It would help lift the gloom around the place and get on track for Thursdays massive game.

They might want to hold off to Friday now.

i hate to put a downer on things but they might be thinking lets wait as they could use that to counter effect the impact in the unlikely event of us going out

They might want to hold off to Friday now.

i hate to put a downer on things but they might be thinking lets wait as they could use that to counter effect the impact in the unlikely event of us going out
Why so hung up about going out, Gerrard and his team have achieved way beyond any realistic expectations.

If we go out we've done fantastically well in a tough group, if we go through it's a bonus.

1st full seaosn as a managemnt team, Neck and neck in the league, runnners up in the LC, in the group stages of Europa and by all accounts a fantastic backroom staff.

Not really much to be down about is there?

Last edited:
This will be the reason they never wanted it leaked
Why so hung up about going out, Gerrard and his team have achieved why beyond any realistic expectations.

If we go out we've done fantastically well in a tough group, if we go through it's a bonus.

1st full seaosn as a managemnt team, Neck and neck in the league, runnners up in the LC, in the group stages of Europa and by all accounts a fantastic backroom staff.

Sorry runners up at anything outwith European competition isn't an achievement at Rangers.

Why so hung up about going out, Gerrard and his team have achieved why beyond any realistic expectations.

If we don’t go though it’s an absolute catastrophe considering we are top of the group right now with a home game to finish things off.

I wouldn’t be handing anyone at the club any new contacts if the worst happens.

That would be dropping points to Aberdeen while 2-0 up, failing to score against the yahoos with ten men and a penalty and going from top of the Europa group to 3rd in the in the space of 8 days.

I think we’ll do enough on Thursday but if the worst were to happen that’s a potential £3m flying out the door and no rewards should be given out in that scenario.

If we don’t go though it’s an absolute catastrophe considering we are top of the group right now with a home game to finish things off.

That would be dropping points to Aberdeen while 2-0 up, failing to score against the yahoos with ten men and a penalty and going from top of the Europa group to 3rd in the in the space of 8 days.

I think we’ll do enough on Thursday but if the worst were to happen that’s a potential £3m flying out the door and no rewards should be given out in that scenario.

It's not really a reward though is it? It's about securing a manager and coaching staff on longer deals due to the massive progress they have made at the club in a short space of time. Before SG and co arrived we were getting papped out of Europe at the very first hurdle and we were nowhere in the league.

So 8 days should define our future plans rather than 18 months of nothing but progress since he walked in the door ?

£3m might fly out the door but compare that to £28m worth of European revenue the manager has already brought in through results.

Gerrard has been very good for Rangers at all levels.
More than happy for him to get an extension.The defeat on Sunday was the exact reason he and the club wouldn't have wanted it leaked as announcing it this week looks like polishing a turd exercise.

So 8 days should define our future plans rather than 18 months of nothing but progress since he walked in the door ?

£3m might fly out the door but compare that to £28m worth of European revenue the manager has already brought in through results.

Yes big games should be defining our future cause when you get to the business end of competitions winners win the games that matter.

Really not sure what exactly we should be rewarding for £20,000,000 spent on players if things go pear shaped a few wins in Europe and finishing 2nd?

I mean not to be down as in - I think we will qualify, i just didn't want to look on the down side of things as there is the possibility that we wont.

Even if we go out tomorrow we have achieved way beyond what was expected of us in what is essentially a Champions League Group Lite.

My main point was that someone involved in PR at the club might be putting forward the case to not officially announce this till Friday in case the worst happens and it can help soften the blow.

This will be the reason they never wanted it leaked

Sorry runners up at anything outwith European competition isn't an achievement at Rangers.
So you expect Steven Gerrard to come in in his first year and win the treble?

Considering April 2018 we were looking at bringing in Derek McInnes I'd suggest we have exceed any expectations.

Fucking hell. This place has collectively lost the plot.

So you expect Steven Gerrard to come in in his first year and win the treble?

Considering April 2018 we were looking at bringing in Derek McInnes I'd suggest we have exceed any expectations.
You said the runners up in the league cup is an achievement.Sorry that's not an achievement for Rangers and never will be.Same as 2nd in the league.I didn't expect him to win the league but I won't say that finishing 2nd in the Scottish league is an achievement it's the bare minimum.

You said the runners up in the league cup is an achievement.Sorry that's not an achievement for Rangers and never will be.Same as 2nd in the league.I didn't expect him to win the league but I won't say that finishing 2nd in the Scottish league is an achievement it's the bare minimum.
If it were not for Steven Gerrard, we most likely would not have made it to the final. In a short space of time and given the performance on Sunday, it was an achievement, disappointing no to win but an achievement to get to the final.

Success is on the way.

If it were not for Steven Gerrard, we most likely would not have made it to the final. In a short space of time and given the performance on Sunday, it was an achievement, disappointing no to win but an achievement to get to the final.

Success is on the way.
Mate I'm not knocking Gerrard at all.Said elsewhere on this thread he's been great for the club at every level.Just don't think the things you've quoted as achievements are, apart from the European campaigns which we have probably overacheived 2 years on the bounce.But finishing 2nd at anything in Scotland isn't an achievement for Rangers never was and never will be imo

Success is on the way.

Aberdeen and Hearts got to finals last season it’s hardly a massive accomplishment.

How staunch is that! None of us want to be second but that’s a real Churchill like statement .
It's the truth.How is finishing 2nd at anything in Scotland an achievement?Don't think that's being uber staunch to state the obvious.If losing in a domestic cup final is now an achievement for us we may as well pack up.That's Aberdeen under McIness mentality that he's been slated for many times on here

When Gerrard took over the club we were 3rd in the league, had been eliminated from the first qualifying round of the Europa, and were regularly losing 4 and 5 nil to celtic.

Sunday pissed me off also, but try and see the bigger picture. That's before we even discuss what had to be sorted outside the first team sqaud.

In the summer of 2012, Paul Murray said it would take 8 seasons to get is back to where we were. After the T3B and King were finally succesful I'm sure he was quoted, might have been at a supporters function mind you, that unfortunately the timescale hadn't changed (as in, a further 8 seasons from 2015) and if anything we were worse off. That's how far back we were. The major thing that delayed us since then was Pedro. That put as back at least a season, maybe two.

Gerrard has been very good for Rangers at all levels.
More than happy for him to get an extension.The defeat on Sunday was the exact reason he and the club wouldn't have wanted it leaked as announcing it this week looks like polishing a turd exercise.

Are there genuine Rangers fans out there who actually questions what SG and his team have brought to our club in past 18 months?

Yes were all in a bit of a downer after Sunday but I could not be happier with Gerrard in the hot seat. He has standards way above what we are accustomed to and is in the process of improving everything we do on the footballing side to ensure when we start winning again it will be for good.

In SG we trust.

Last edited:
Are the genuine Rangers fans out there who actually questions what SG and his team have brought to our club in past 18 months?

Yes were all in a bit of a downer after Sunday but I cid not be happier with Gerrard in the hot seat. He has standards way above what we are accustomed to and is in the process of improving everything we do on the footballing side to ensure when we start winning again it will be for good.

In SG we trust.
Where am I questioning him?

Hearts went into administration and were relegated a few years back.

Aberdeens wages bill last season was something like 23 million lower than ours.
Facts.If losing a league cup final is an achievement we're Aberdeen under McIness.Sorry I take into consideration the events of the last 10 years but it's still ultimately a failure not to win a cup final.You can't polish a turd.

Yes big games should be defining our future cause when you get to the business end of competitions winners win the games that matter.

Really not sure what exactly we should be rewarding for £20,000,000 spent on players if things go pear shaped a few wins in Europe and finishing 2nd?

Sunday was a pisser but the idea we throw our plans out and change them simply because a linesman can't spot a blatant offside and Morelos didn't score a penalty is something I can't agree with

Where am I questioning him?

Apologies if by quoting your post it seems as though I'm questioning your faith in SG, that was not the intention of my post.

Just wanted to guage if fans faith in SG is still strong. For me, despite Sunday, there is no reason why is should be otherwise, we are in a good place right now.

Sunday was a pisser but the idea we throw our plans out and change them simply because a linesman can't spot a blatant offside and Morelos didn't score a penalty is something I can't agree with

Im not suggesting we throw our plans out on the heads of Sunday but Gerrard has a full season left after this.

If he doesn't win either this year or next hes toast so unsure what the extensions for.

My original remarks were aimed at the possibility of not qualifying on Thursday given the position we are in sitting top of the group with a home game to play.

Now I think we will definitely qualify but if we didn’t I’m not sure that rushing out and giving a contract extension shows the right mentality after the last 3 games.

How much money has Gerrard generated for the club by qualifying for the europa league group stages two years running ? Have you forgotten we beat Celtic twice last season and for the first time in a dozen attempts? Or does none of that count now .

How much money has Gerrard generated for the club by qualifying for the europa league group stages two years running ? Have you forgotten we beat Celtic twice last season and for the first time in a dozen attempts? Or does none of that count now .

Rangers managers will be judged on domestic honours.

Always have been and always will be.

Klopp's 1st contract at Liverpool was in 2015, at the end of that season they finished 8th, he then signed a 6 year deal to 2022.

Seems to have worked out OK for them.

Very different scenario Klopps main rivals weren’t going for 4 “potential” trebles in a row.

This is Glasgow it really doesn’t matter how close you come to winning the only thing that matters is you win.

I’m all for Gerrard getting a new contract but only when he starts putting trophies in the cabinet.

Very different scenario Klopps main rivals weren’t going for 4 “potential” trebles in a row.

This is Glasgow it really doesn’t matter how close you come to winning the only thing that matters is you win.

I’m all for Gerrard getting a new contract but only when he starts putting trophies in the cabinet.

So if Gerrard doesn't win anything and leaves at the end of his contract, who do we bring in to start over again? Who is going to guarantee trophies?

But Klopp was dealing with a fanatical fan base at a huge club who had went 25 years without a league before he arrived.

He also lost three cup finals in a row with Liverpool yet their faith never wavered. He's improved them beyond all recognition from the Rodgers team he had taken over that had Christian Benteke at £32m as their main striker.

We either continue on our own path because we ARE improving or we change every time there's a setback and begin all over again, greeting because a manager hasn't delivered a trophy inside 12 months

So if Gerrard doesn't win anything and leaves at the end of his contract, who do we bring in to start over again? Who is going to guarantee trophies?

No manager can guarantee trophies but you really can’t say that if Gerrard lost 6 out of 6 trophies in two seasons this is progress that deserves to be rewarded by a pay increase.

All hypothetical right now as he could turn things around and win a double but till such time as he does no new contracts should be given out as it sends a message to everyone that you can be in a comfort zone and it doesn’t matter if you win trophies or not we’ll pay you more money anyway.

I think the board are being smart here, and protecting themselves from a compensation aspect should another club come calling. I also think they recognise the progress, and with no viable alternative need to keep going.

The flip side is I don’t think he would survive them winning 10 in a row. Progress or not, our fan base based on past experience would be baying for blood. We would then of course be looking at a payoff, so it could go either way.

Saying reaching the final is achievement is a stretch. I think with the managers standards he won’t view beating East Fife, Livingston and Hearts to reach a final as much of an achievement. The man is a winner, so I can’t see him being satisfied with that

For me we have made great strides, but as to be expected from a rookie manager Gerrard has to improve in certain areas. He deserves our full support, but it’s kidding ourselves on to pretend going out of Europe on Thursday wouldn’t leave a huge cloud over the club after the past week.

But Klopp was dealing with a fanatical fan base at a huge club who had went 25 years without a league before he arrived.

He also lost three cup finals in a row with Liverpool yet their faith never wavered. He's improved them beyond all recognition from the Rodgers team he had taken over that had Christian Benteke at £32m as their main striker.

We either continue on our own path because we ARE improving or we change every time there's a setback and begin all over again, greeting because a manager hasn't delivered a trophy inside 12 months

You simply can’t go more than two seasons at Rangers without winning anything doesn’t matter if your name Steven Gerrard or Walter Smith.

We really don’t have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years for the possibility that things might turn while that other lot disappears over the horizon with 11,12,13,14 trophies in a row.

You simply can’t go more than two seasons at Rangers without winning anything doesn’t matter if your name Steven Gerrard or Walter Smith.

We really don’t have the luxury of waiting 3-4 years for the possibility that things might turn while that other lot disappears over the horizon with 11,12,13,14 trophies in a row.

In normal situations ? You're probably right.

This isn't is a normal situation though. Gerrard has basically had to start to build a team from scratch because of expensive past mistakes from board and management. I don't think it's fair that he has to pay the price because of previous fúck ups from others.

How much better or stronger could we have been had we not still paying players off from previous eras well into his second season ?

SG’s stock is rising every day with us, it’s just forward planning from the club ensuring that if anyone came sniffing about and he was keen to leave us we would get maximum compensation for him.
The club protecting its most valuable assets is all good with me although I rue the day it happens.

Back