Is it 10th place for an auto-CL place?

Cooperfan

I know we said top.15 to get two CL entrants. Looking at the table everyone from 15 down are already lacking numbers due to teams being knocked out.

Could we make the top 10 over the next three years with three years of rubbish numbers being taken off?

Hate to be a negative nelly, but I’ve lost count of the amount of times Scottish football on the whole has had decent European seasons and we’ve convinced ourselves we are going to consolidate high up the rankings, only for it to collapse again.

11th usually gets the automatic CL place as the Champions League winners usually come from one of the top nations.

It's not unreasonable to think Scotland could get at least 11th place by the end of this season if Rangers and Celtic were to get to the groups and qualify for the next round. That would take effect from the 22/23 season.

Just need to do better than the likes of Austria, Turkey, Ukraine, Cyprus, Denmark. Problem is these nations tend to have teams who get quite far in the tournaments.

Austria probably tough to overcome with 4 sides in with a shout of getting to various group stages.

Denmark in with a good shout this year with Midtjylland guaranteed either CL or EL groups and Copenhagen still in with a chance of EL.

Ukraine also have a very good chance of having 2 teams in CL groups. Dinamo Kiev just need to beat Genk in the playoffs to qualify. Shakhtar are already there.

Hate to be a negative nelly, but I’ve lost count of the amount of times Scottish football on the whole has had decent European seasons and we’ve convinced ourselves we are going to consolidate high up the rankings, only for it to collapse again.

Depends mate football runs in cycles the big teams look beatable now

Reactions: VGM
Turkey and Belgium are also going to lose their highest seasons as of next year, so good shout for us closing the gap there. Denmark too.

Key is consistency, which is what Scotland has struggled with even before we dropped down the divisions. Never could put three or four good seasons together. Look at Cyprus, never especially outstanding in Europe but a core of team's capable of reliably making groups every year and as such they are a solid ranking. We should be aiming for that. If we can get it to the point where we have one/two teams in CL, and give the EL teams as favourably a chance as possible of making the groups then we are quids in.

Turkey and Belgium are also going to lose their highest seasons as of next year, so good shout for us closing the gap there. Denmark too.

Key is consistency, which is what Scotland has struggled with even before we dropped down the divisions. Never could put three or four good seasons together. Look at Cyprus, never especially outstanding in Europe but a core of team's capable of reliably making groups every year and as such they are a solid ranking. We should be aiming for that. If we can get it to the point where we have one/two teams in CL, and give the EL teams as favourably a chance as possible of making the groups then we are quids in.

Teams like Dolly SHOULD have enough to reach conference league groups most seasons.

if you look at the teams above and just below us i.e. Austria, Turkey, Ukraine, Cyprus and Denmark they will all lose their best coefficient season total either next season or the one after, so if we match these teams coefficient points gained for the next two seasons then we would definitely get tenth spot.
For example next season Turkey lose 9.700 points and we lose 4.375 which is a swing of 5.323 points. so barring an absolute disaster this year I would expect us to go above Turkey. The following year there is a swing of 5.75 with Austria and 4.000 with Ukraine, so we would need another really bad year not to go above either of these two.
All of that is assuming I understand how the coefficient system works:)

We want the teams above us to qualify for the CL. The likelihood of them getting knocked out of that is significantly higher than EL.

Someone on Bert Kassies website said Scotland are currently 8th on the list for the 2023 season. It’s the highest we’ve been as a country since 1989 apparently.

Back