Is it in Liverpools interest for Gerrard to win the league

BucksBear

Hypothetically, say Klopp doesn't win the title (or even if he does) and decides to walk at the end of next season or the one after. Just like the clamour to get Frank Lampard as the next chelsea manager, Stevie G will be seen as the natural successor as long as he was done well with Rangers. It would be an easy appointment if he wins the league with Rangers

By loaning Rangers a few promising players, could Liverpool simply be making a good investment in their next manager as well as just a favour to a well loved club legend?

Hypothetically, say Klopp doesn't win the title (or even if he does) and decides to walk at the end of next season or the one after. Just like the clamour to get Frank Lampard as the next chelsea manager, Stevie G will be seen as the natural successor as long as he was done well with Rangers. It would be an easy appointment if he wins the league with Rangers

By loaning Rangers a few promising players, could Liverpool simply be making a good investment in their next manager as well as just a favour to a well loved club legend?
Surely they’d want him there on merit and because HE has done a good job, not because they made it easier for him by giving us their young talent?

We fit Gerrard's plan if he wants to become Liverpool manager

He couldn't do that with MK Dons? when previous linked with a managerial position

The rest is up to him

Like you say, Gerrard will be the natural successor as long as he does well with Rangers.

Pretty much Steven Gerrard MUST succeed with Rangers or it will set his managerial career back about 5 years and end up at a League 1 or bottom half Championship club.

Winning the league with Rangers is his ticket to managing his boyhood heroes Liverpool. He must succeed at Rangers or he won't ever get bigger than us.

Surely they’d want him there on merit and because HE has done a good job, not because they made it easier for him by giving us their young talent?

he has done well to complete against a team with a bigger budget. anyone can see that, but like a boxer its good to get on a winning run, builds the confidence and momenetum. his aim will be to be the next liverpool manager.

Liverpool won’t be doing “favours” to Gerrard.

Everything they do around him will be aimed towards helping him into that dugout in the most efficient but sensible way possible.

I’ll be shocked if he wants it at the same stage of his development as Lampard. I think he’s far too sensible to rush in when the circumstances aren’t right.

But everything. EVERYTHING about our gaffers career is about getting to that job.

And I never thought I’d be glad to be a stepping stone but I am with this one.

Well he’s a stick on for a future manager for them if he succeeds. So it’s definitely in their best interest for him to be a successful. He ain’t going to United that’s for damn sure.

Was always talked that the dream teams of Gerrard/Carragher & Terry/Lampard would go onto manage Liverpool/Chelsea

As neither are currently together do they come together when/if they get their dream jobs?

can't see Terry playing 2nd fiddle to Lampar d
Gary Mac would need demoted to make way for Carragher and would he drop his media committments?

Other than seeing a former old boy do well Liverpool will have little interest in how Gerrard does up here. He will have to do more than win the league to get the Liverpool gig; he'll have to do something(a decent showing in the league stages?) of the CL to get the job imo.

Other than seeing a former old boy do well Liverpool will have little interest in how Gerrard does up here. He will have to do more than win the league to get the Liverpool gig; he'll have to do something(a decent showing in the league stages?) of the CL to get the job imo.
I would have thought so too but seeing how highly coveted Lampard is by Chelsea should Sarri leave, I think a return for both is theirs whenever they wish. In Gerrard's case when Klopp leaves! Which to me means we want a Liverpool near miss for a couple more years then Gerrard is free to go at the end of his 4yr contract and title 57

I would have thought so too but seeing how highly coveted Lampard is by Chelsea should Sarri leave, I think a return for both is theirs whenever they wish. In Gerrard's case when Klopp leaves! Which to me means we want a Liverpool near miss for a couple more years then Gerrard is free to go at the end of his 4yr contract and title 57

I get the impression Chelsea are downsizing, especially with the transfer embargo headed their way. Liverpool have a turnover of half a billion pounds and that number is only headed upwards. I dont think theyd risk it on a manager proven only in the spl.

Lampard seems more likely to Chelsea at this stage in his career because Chelsea know if there’s a transfer embargo they can’t sign anyone and Lampard will buy them more time with the fans

If Liverpool and SG know in advance they may send some players up that they want SG to work with when he takes over. So if we get salah and TAA on loan then we know he’s leaving soon lol

It seems to be almost accepted that Stevie is just serving an apprenticeship for the Liverpool job.

Football, and life, seldoms works smoothly to plan.

I'm not thinking beyond him winning 55.

Like you say, Gerrard will be the natural successor as long as he does well with Rangers.

Pretty much Steven Gerrard MUST succeed with Rangers or it will set his managerial career back about 5 years and end up at a League 1 or bottom half Championship club.

Winning the league with Rangers is his ticket to managing his boyhood heroes Liverpool. He must succeed at Rangers or he won't ever get bigger than us.

Other than, I think you are spot on there !

If Gerrard is successful with us, he'll still have to prove it somewhere else. It's a 2 horse race up here and I doubt if both us and them would have made the play offs. Our longest unbeaten run in the league was 7 matches whereas Man City won their last 14.

Let him win us title 55 next season then we can worry about Liverpool.

They’ll never make Gerrard the manager unless he’s won something with us and even went elsewhere to the likes of a Championship team. Klopp on the other hand is a proven and great manager. Stop talking about him going to Liverpool and let’s focus on winning the league. I honestly can’t wait for 55, mass pitch invasion at Ibrox methinks.

Since we can assume a return to the 2 horse race for the Scottish title instead of the 1 horse version that's been evident over the past 7 years then Liverpool (if they are gauging SG) would expect him to win it.
Another run in the Europa League with progress to Round of 32 and beyond would certainly be of more interest to them.
So #55 this season and Round of 32 in EL will be the target. The following season would require a clean sweep of Scottish trophies and the quarters of the EL at least.

Then he'll be off to Liverpool in a swap deal with Klopp. :))

I think we overplay the Liverpool/Gerrard link. Clubs do the right thing for themselves. Club management in the English premiership is cutthroat. I'm sure Liverpool would like Gerrard to do well but they are unlikely to try and engineer Gerrard to be their next Manager imo.

I think it's in liverpool's interest to loan fringe youth players to us to get them in the shop window. Kent -previous multiple club loan deals going nowhere, great season, awards etc and time will tell, but price goes up for the player. I think they know, if the youth guys are going to work, it'll be under Gerrard and Beale etc, given they know how good at development these guys are.

If you read Gerrard’s autobiography, it seems that Liverpool didn’t treat him too great when it came to looking at his final contract at the club before he decided to leave to join LA Galaxy. No doubt if he was successful he’d be in with a very good shout of being their manager some time, but I don’t think the Liverpool board are particularly sentimental about Gerrard.

He’ll have a to really prove himself and I can’t see too many favours unless it’s in Liverpool’s best interest in the short term (e.g. they see value in continue to loan players based on Kent’s development).

If that’s the case can they start loaning us more like Kent and guys closer to their squad quality and less like Ejaria?

There is no way that Gerrard will get any favours from Liverpool.Any loan signings we get will be the right decision for Liverpool.It's obvious that they want to develop elsewhere their promising fringe players and sell them on to finance the big first team signings.The very best remain at the club.

I expect SG to be a fair few years away from the top job at Liverpool or any top EPL club.

If he fails here he'll never get the Liverpool job. Similar to how Gary Neville's stint at Valencia ensured he'll never get the Man Utd gig.

Was always talked that the dream teams of Gerrard/Carragher & Terry/Lampard would go onto manage Liverpool/Chelsea

As neither are currently together do they come together when/if they get their dream jobs?

can't see Terry playing 2nd fiddle to Lampar d
Gary Mac would need demoted to make way for Carragher and would he drop his media committments?
If Carragher is sensible he'll keep his saliva to himself in future and look after his Sky gig.

He's good on TV and is no doubt earning a fair coin from it so can't imagine him being too interested in getting involved in the day-to-day of a football club again.

Back