Is it possible to avoid selling?

The club have made it clear we will be selling. We need to be sustainable.

Obviously we need to be cautious not to repeat Eck's mistakes of selling quality and trying to rake a round the bargain bin looking for replacements.

It is in our long term interest that we start to become financially stable. That means turning over players.

we can’t expect directors to fund running cosss indefinitely

Also it will make attracting players more difficult if we aren’t seen as a club with a record of selling to better leagues.

So for me one or two will be sold. Right thing to do.

Ross Wilson did say we don't need to sell but there will obviously come a time when we do sell. Every player has their price.
This is the reality. Players form fluctuates as well. Kent and Alfie for example were pretty stale for many games in the first half of the season .

Or am I being too hopeful we can keep all our main assets like Helander, Barisic, Kamara, Hagi, Morelos and Kent for next season as well?
Youre being too unrealistic both in terms of the financials but more importantly the team itself.

Standing still is moving backwards, never more true than in Football and Pro Sport. Bringing in new players helps refresh the XI, the squad and the Coaches. It keeps everyone motivated and keeps your rivals scrambling around to match your moves.

Massive ins and outs are obvs not good, very damaging really - see Hearts, but a controlled sell to buy to improve strategy is vital.

Rangers have been poor at sales for many years but much like our buying, you get the feeling that is improving under this Management.

I’ve a sneaky feeling no-one of note will be sold until after the qualifiers. There’s some fringe players that will probably move on and if we don’t qualify I can see a couple being sold to balance the books.

It's possible but not good long term for the club a big sale this season sets the marker down for future fees that come in from our stars

Hagi is probably the one that is most likely to be sold given that he’s not an automatic starter in big games. However, he’s got potential to improve further and is different to what we have so I’d be reluctant.

I think Helander is another possibility and could be considered as more readily replaceable than the likes of Kamara, Kent or Morelos. Again, wouldn’t like to see him go but understand the need to bring in cash so anything over £12m would need serious consideration.

Other than those, I’d hope we could get £1.5m for Edmundson and maybe £400k for Jones whilst also getting Stewart & Barker off the wage bill.

The business model has always been that we need to sell at least one/two player every year to survive. Can't see that changing. Hopefully we can get away with losing only one (max two) of our big players and re-invest wisely.

We need to sell like almost every other club but giving assets away in the current climate will be strongly resisted so it's possible fewer will leave than would otherwise have been the case. I trust the board.

We’d been saying similar about Morelos for years.
It is not as definite as that.
It literally is as definite as that.

An actual bid of £25m may not be definite, but it one does come in for Kent or Morelos then they are 100% gone and the club will have done a fantastic job.

Aside from the obvious financial model I believe we need to continue improve, evolve and freshen the squad. I love this squad like my own and don’t want any of them to leave. However players will eventually stagnate and other teams will suss it out. Alex Ferguson was the master, forever telling players their time was up whilst the were still seemingly at the top of their game.
One or two need to go for big money as much as I can’t decide who.

No and it is a mistake to not sell. We need to sell players at their peak value or we will watch them drop consistently and end up losing out on more money than we can afford to lose.
This is spot on but also we have brought players here with the promise of first team football , playing in Europe , winners medals but also the chance to then get a big move the the EPL we have got to be realistic and realise players will want to move on for there careers and if we can be seen to help players do this then it will encourage more young up and coming stars to follow the same path and make us a very attractive option to sign with

Sometimes not selling players leads to players downing tools a bit like them over the other side. We can now afford to let one, maybe two go if we can get good money for them.

It is possible. Would be criminal to let go a key player before the CL qualifiers.

Personally I think we will bring in 2 before the qualifiers then see what happens from there.

No and it is a mistake to not sell. We need to sell players at their peak value or we will watch them drop consistently and end up losing out on more money than we can afford to lose.
Definitely. Look what's happened to the alleged value of Edouard, Ajer, Mcgregor., ntcham on the dark side.

It literally is as definite as that.

An actual bid of £25m may not be definite, but it one does come in for Kent or Morelos then they are 100% gone and the club will have done a fantastic job.
So, let me get this right.
It literally is definite, but may not be definite, but if it does, they’re 100% (as definite as it gets) gone?
I’m confused.

So, let me get this right.
It literally is definite, but may not be definite, but if it does, they’re 100% (as definite as it gets) gone?
I’m confused.
Obviously we can’t predict a bid, but in the scenario where someone comes in with £20-25m for certain players, then they will definitely be gone.

You’d be a nutjob to think otherwise.

There is different ways to look at this though.
How do you know when peak value has been reached?
Look at Kent just now.
Is he going to get better?
I’d bet he is, of course he is, but how much and when?
Also, could Kent be the difference between reaching the CL or not?
What is his value before that event and after?

Obviously we can’t predict a bid, but in the scenario where someone comes in with £20-25m for certain players, then they will definitely be gone.

You’d be a nutjob to think otherwise.
Well, there have been many nut jobs regarding fees for Morelos in particular in nearly every previous window.

Well, there have been many nut jobs regarding fees for Morelos in particular in nearly every previous window.
£16m wasn’t enough though.

Do you think he’d still be here if Lille came in with £22/23m for him?

I think we need a dose of realism in regards to this.

In a bizarre sort of way I actually want us to sell to see how we cope with it.

I think it’s important at this stage to begin operating from a position of self sufficiency.

If we sell Morelos for £20m for example then bring in another three players with the money while also attending to the deficit and that trio of additions actually improve us overall, it’ll be a big step towards our medium to long term stability.

It’s also true to say that you really need to sell from a position of strength to maximise your assets. Look at the depreciation the Yahoos have seen on their biggest players in the last twelve months.

In a bizarre sort of way I actually want us to sell to see how we cope with it.

I think it’s important at this stage to begin operating from a position of self sufficiency.

If we sell Morelos for £20m for example then bring in another three players with the money while also attending to the deficit and that trio of additions actually improve us overall, it’ll be a big step towards our medium to long term stability.

It’s also true to say that you really need to sell from a position of strength to maximise your assets. Look at the depreciation the Yahoos have seen on their biggest players in the last twelve months.
There will be an absolutely biblical meltdown on here.

The team doesn’t move forward unless you sell. The main thing is who do you buy and make sure you only sell when you know you can replace.

There will be an absolutely biblical meltdown on here.
Nothing surer, but we need to be grown up about this. It’s not the 1990s anymore. We’re a selling club now and as a support we need to start getting our heads around that.

Personally think it’s a mistake to let the best players go unless they are adamant. Win the league next year and you’re guaranteed champions league football and money. I’m talking about players who are at the moment irreplaceable. Morelos, Barasic, Kamara and Kent. There will be a lot less high value transfers this year.

There is different ways to look at this though.
How do you know when peak value has been reached?
Look at Kent just now.
Is he going to get better?
I’d bet he is, of course he is, but how much and when?
Also, could Kent be the difference between reaching the CL or not?
What is his value before that event and after?
Part of the problem with valuations on players is the fact we are in Scotland. The same player here and in England has 2 different values and there is almost a ceiling on what players in Scotland cost. Hopefully we can start pushing that ceiling upwards.

We need to sell as we can't keep surviving on soft loans. I'm sure the board and management team have said we have to become a selling team. I do think we will only sell one of our main players though.

I think to freshen up the squad it's a good idea to cash in on at least one of our major assets - will be OK with that as long as it isn't Kent or Buff. I think those two are near irreplaceable for the job they do for us.

Will need to balance the books as well so be looking to make some serious wonga on that one departure.

Exactly this, I think we will make good money on a couple of players from Helander, Barasic, Kamara, Kent, Morelos, any two from these plus fringe players to ease financial pressure and get in replacements to freshen things up.

I expect we will have to sell to bring in, plus reduce the wage bill to finance it by getting rid of some of the fringe players.

£16m wasn’t enough though.

Do you think he’d still be here if Lille came in with £22/23m for him?

I think we need a dose of realism in regards to this.
I’m realistic enough.
You’ve just got a different realism.
Thing is, I’m not telling everybody I’m definitely right.

Part of the problem with valuations on players is the fact we are in Scotland. The same player here and in England has 2 different values and there is almost a ceiling on what players in Scotland cost. Hopefully we can start pushing that ceiling upwards.
We’ve created a good base to do just that with our decent European runs.
The other thing is that we’ve got to be prepared to gamble and say “no” to offers we don’t find worthy.
As we seem to have done with Morelos.

I dont see the need

but if we do, we need to get a player that is better than the player leaving.....

Commercial director Bisgrove, Ross Wilson and multiple board members all said we would have to sell from now on and that we would no longer be relying on shareholders covering costs.

I find it mental how people repeatedly ask questions when they’ve been told the answer numerous times.

I think we’d need the guarantee of CL football which we don’t have.
The problem being that CL qualification runs very close to the end of the transfer windows most seasons. Losing a key player at that point would be an absolute bugger. Lose one before the qualification process is also a bugger of course.

I dont see the need

but if we do, we need to get a player that is better than the player leaving.....
Well, to be fair, the directors have told you, directly, that it will need to happen and we are still borrowing money season on season to get by. I am a little at a loss as to how you fail to see the need in the face of that. The people literally running the club have told you it clearly.

I think we will sell probably 1 or 2 of our best players. it’ll be either kamara and/or borna which IMO we could get 15m for each player. I’ve said many times borna would be the easiest to replace and with our lack of CM’s I’d like to keep kamara for another year or two.

It's frankly a mini miracle we didn't sell any major players last summer.And means it's even more of a necessity this year imo.

I've swithered about who would be easier to replace and changed my mind a few times.
Ultimately I think Morelos and Helander would be easier to replace but it's a tough call.

Certainly 30 million quid would soften the blow.

No, and you wouldn't want to.

Every player has ambitions to play at a higher level and earn more money. You don't hold them back from that or they stagnate, you have an unhappy and less hungry player and their long term valuation could decline. Case in point - look at Celtic.

They should have sold Edouard, Ajer, Christie and McGregor last summer when their stock was reasonably high. Instead they kept on to unhappy players who have effectively downed tools. Furthermore their valuation is nowhere near what it would have been a year ago. A disaster for everyone involved.

Let our players move on, bring in good cash, reinvest in young hungry players and keep the cycle going.

Well, to be fair, the directors have told you, directly, that it will need to happen and we are still borrowing money season on season to get by. I am a little at a loss as to how you fail to see the need in the face of that. The people literally running the club have told you it clearly.
I must of missed this part.....

needs must then

Our model means we have to sell and reinvest.
The scum have done so successfuly for several years. Done so by selling the likes of Dembele and Tierney and still winning trophy after trophy. Crucially they sold after a winning season and got top dollar.
It would appear they changed their policy for this season( hoping for 10) by holding on to all last seasons squad leaving them with several very unhappy players who expected a move.
It backfired not only in unhappy players but the values have collapsed. They will now be punting losers :))
Eduard will now go for about £10million max when last summer it would be £20million. Same with Ajer, Christie, McGregor.
They have fvcked up big time.
So in short, yes, we will sell a couple of big names. We will get top dollar and put our faith in the gaffer and his backroom staff unearthing new diamonds.
The one player we must not sell however is Kent. He is our talisman. The sort of player you have to break your wage structure on.

Back