Is it time McLeish got an apology?

Sweet55

I felt his treatment by Scotland was a disgrace. He would have got exactly the same results Clarke has, ie a win v Cyprus and losses in the other games. The Kazakhstan debacle, yes he deserved criticism but captain Robertson declared himself unavailable so he could go to the dentist and he gets zero boos. McLeish had done reasonably well in his previous stint and has won more trophies than Clarke ever will yet he was attacked from the word go despite getting us through the nation's league and having to rebuild a side with no decent centre halves or centre forwards. The SFA has spent a fortune in compensation to get the same results just to shut up a bunch of bigots who couldn't see past the fact he was an ex rangers manager.
I'd like to see the mhedia apologise to McLeish and acknowledge that Ferguson in his prime couldn't get anything from such an unbalanced squad.

a litttle unfair on Robertson IMO
he had an abscess wand had to undergo dental surgery
was told not to fly due to the pressure on the abscess.
Would you have gone against the docs advice and flown / played if in the same situation?

but yes Eck was treated badly and Clark has a record up there with the worst of them so far.
If by some miracle we qualify through the playoff it will be eck who got us there, but that will be forgotten

It'll be unlikely to happen aside from maybe one or 2 individuals. The press love a 'hunt' and they got it with ramping up pressure of sorts on McLeish.

A large part of the propaganda against him came from yahoo blogs and sites something that seems rather absent over the last few days for Clarke.

The same exact tactics were used when Gordon Smith got the SFA top job. Anyone with a Rangers connection seems to get systemically attacked the second they get near a post within the SFA.

Would you have gone against the docs advice and flown / played if in the same situation?
What I read on the situation at the time was that the surgery had been needed for a while but he delayed it until Liverpool's games were finished and thus missed the Scotland game. I now see there were then a load of articles about how he 'desperately' tried to find a way to Kazakhstan after the op but I call bs on this as given Tierney was also out, they would surely have found a way to get him there had that been the case.

Eck was not the right choice for the job and there is no doubt about that. However we all know the real reason Eck was hounded before he had even managed a game and thats because he’s a Rangers man. There was almost a collective willing for Eck to fail from the media and the tartan army.

The tartan army and the media now have the guy they clamoured for as well as basically no Rangers involvement and funnily enough they are still shite. With no Rangers (or Rangers supporting) players in the team last night, there is no viable scapegoat for these clowns.

not a manager out there that could salvage the national team imo
Don’t agree. Do NI have a better pool of players than us? I don’t think so but they are organized the selection is consistent and O’Neill is able to get the best from them. We spent a couple of years trying to accommodate two LBs. We have no recognized system that we play and are no shoe horning Kilmarnock players and mentally challenged second string into our squad.

Don’t agree. Do NI have a better pool of players than us? I don’t think so but they are organized the selection is consistent and O’Neill is able to get the best from them. We spent a couple of years trying to accommodate two LBs. We have no recognized system that we play and are no shoe horning Kilmarnock players and mentally challenged second string into our squad.

NI don't have better players than us but what they have is a good manager who has them set up well, playing to their strengths and a real togetherness in the squad. They players would all run through brick walls for their manager and country. What do we have?

We have a country that's divided on sporting and political lines.

What I read on the situation at the time was that the surgery had been needed for a while but he delayed it until Liverpool's games were finished and thus missed the Scotland game. I now see there were then a load of articles about how he 'desperately' tried to find a way to Kazakhstan after the op but I call bs on this as given Tierney was also out, they would surely have found a way to get him there had that been the case.

That's exactly what I would expect of a Rangers player also, club takes priority, they pay his wages.
IIRC Tierney also timed his surgery to suit Celtic.

If it wasn't for Marshall Scotland would have been looking at 2 record defeats............uch well always next time.

McLeish second time around was a wrong choice.

He has however left a legacy of a spot in the play-offs with two winnable matches. I do believe this will be squandered by the Clarke regime.

Eck will be a long time waiting for the deserved apology.

That mob have got exactly what they've always wanted.

A disgusting mentally challenged manager and an even more disgusting mentally challenged captain.

%^*& the lot of them.

Who´s the disgusting mentally challenged captain?

NI don't have better players than us but what they have is a good manager who has them set up well, playing to their strengths and a real togetherness in the squad. They players would all run through brick walls for their manager and country. What do we have?

The SFA are more or less the sporting wing of the SNP. Hampden at these games are Yesser rallies. The SFA could have clamped down on the booing of Rangers players and jeering of GSTQ after the NI and England games, but they didn't, which says everything.

I think people need to accept at this time the National side is very poor.We can not go toe to toe with many sides.
We would be far better at this stage being a defensive hard to beat side with everyone behind the ball.Its not pretty but can get results.Hopefully if they keep progressing younger players like Gilmour and McCrorie can be added to the team.

What NI also have is Evans and Cathcart. A decent centre half pairing is a necessity and something that we don't have. Even with our weak centre halves both Robertson and odonnell bombed forward and left Cooper and mulgrew exposed. There was nobody sitting in front of the centre halves giving cover to them like Ryan Jack would've been able to do.

It says a lot that the sporting division in Scotland is now much worse than Northern Ireland.

Well done the SFA and SNP.

I'm no fan of Scotland or Steve Clarke but it's not comparable to McLeish yet at all. He's had 4 games, 2 of them against the #1 ranked team in the world.

McLeish should get an apology for the position he was put in but nothing to do with the way Clarke's games have gone.

I respect your opinion but its isn't just on field personnel that is the problem.

Not sure what exactly was going on with McLeish but by the end of his time it appeared the players didn’t want to turn up. Clarke’s results have been equally as bad but so far the players still want to play for him.

Has Kenny McLean not got a leaning to us?
Eck was not the right choice for the job and there is no doubt about that. However we all know the real reason Eck was hounded before he had even managed a game and thats because he’s a Rangers man. There was almost a collective willing for Eck to fail from the media and the tartan army.

The tartan army and the media now have the guy they clamoured for as well as basically no Rangers involvement and funnily enough they are still shite. With no Rangers (or Rangers supporting) players in the team last night, there is no viable scapegoat for these clowns.

I have been reading , on here, for a long time about Alex McLeish. None of it complementary.
Now FF is demanding apologies from people. The abuse on here has been ridiculous, of a loyal Rangers man who won 7 trophies in his time with us, against 6 for the hallowed ST Martin at the piggery. Including a treble, of course.

Irony here is if ever there’s a country divided on sporting and political lines it’s NI!

There is very much a club feel about the NI team and a fantastic bond between the team and support. Scotland just can’t seem to create that and I suspect it’s because the support and media is far too quick to put the boot in which prevents any manager from building anything over time. Then there’s the petty agendas when it comes to all things Rangers.

Players also seem to be much more committed to their clubs than country and key players drop out of squads regularly whereas with NI country comes first for most of the players.

I also don’t think you can underestimate just how important it is to have defenders like Evans, Cathcart, and until the years finally caught up with him McAuley. Scotland just don’t have that the likes of Mulgrew couldn’t lace these boys boots. If you can’t defend you won’t succeed at international level.

There are less and less Rangers supporters following the national team due to the hatred of all things Rangers from the bigots! and I have to say that I don't feel anything for the national team anymore.

W.A.T.P.

but yes Eck was treated badly and Clark has a record up there with the worst of them so far.
If by some miracle we qualify through the playoff it will be eck who got us there, but that will be forgotten
Yeah I had cancel a holiday to Majorca for the same reason 10 years ago..It can burst due to pressure and poison your system

Alex McLeish has achieved much more in his football career than those who put the boot into him as soon as he was reappointed. Suspect that both Eck and his wife now realise he can well do without all the hassle and criticism.

It's all one great, big mess and will not be improved until we have a number of Scotland players to improve performances and results.

The irony now is the only chance of making Euros is due to Eck's Nations League Playoff.

Funny old world eh.
I follow Finland a lot because of my missus and Scotland better hope they qualify via the groups as they won't beat them. (Is that how it works?)

The SFA are more or less the sporting wing of the SNP. Hampden at these games are Yesser rallies. The SFA could have clamped down on the booing of Rangers players and jeering of GSTQ after the NI and England games, but they didn't, which says everything.
I would like to support the Scotland senior team but I don't mainly for the reasons that you have outlined ,the support look like extras from Brigadoon or Braveheart in other words they look ridiculous and their treatment of Rangers players is ridiculous and the fact that this treatment and the reaction to GSTQ passes almost without any mention from the impartial Scottish????mhedia will not encourage me to start cheering them on any time soon . However if players from the under 21s like McCrorie, Middleton ,Gilmour etc. progress to the senior team, in other words players with a Gers connection perhaps I would change my stance and we might even have a situation as we did in the past where the majority of Scotland fans were Gers supporters ,then all that we would have to do is get rid of that dirge that passes for our national anthem

McLeish probably wanted to go to be fair.You cant paint a masterpiece with no fucking paints,as Clarke is finding out.Look at Kosovo last night,gave England a right good game,their players where comfortable on the ball and wanted to actually play for their country,unlike ours who have turned into a bunch of surrender monkeys.Their populations not even 2 million.
Now the largest biggest supported team,us who used to be the mainstay of the support...I'd reckon 80% of bears don't give a toss anymore.Look at the empty seats on Monday and our apathy towards our national team and the difference between us and NI supporters.Sad but until the SFA is purged nothing is going to change.

Back