Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

Is it unnecessary to have a glass of wine with dinner, a beer at a concert, comedy show or play?

How about Rugby? Airports? Planes? Trains? Surely those aren’t all necessary.

I’m an adult in 21st century Scotland and there’s legislation that essentially states I can’t be trusted to drink a pint of low strength lager in a football stadium concourse without causing trouble. It’s pathetic.
You would want low-strength lager?

Never fails to amaze me how so many people want ridiculously overreaching laws to prevent drinking at football because of nonsense reasons like "folk spilling drinks" "we cant be trusted" "cant be arsed with pished people"

as if the behaviour of a small minority should mean we all have enjoyment kept away from us, as if those things dont already happen without booze at games!

Scotland: A country full of mini authoritarians

Club 72 has Tennents, Caledonia, Heverlee and Blackthorn on draft and a decent bottle range.

You’d like to think Ed House and the new sports bar will have a wider selection.
To be honest if I was running it ( everyone is allowed to dream), because it is Rangers, I would have every drink a Premium drink where possible
Most of our selections are the most popular on trade drinks in the UK

Have you ever been to a game in England? I’ve been to both Manchester stadiums, Derby, Blackpool, Newcastle, Liverpool and Spurs. All of these areas have their own social issues, but amazingly, they manage to have a beer at the football without turning into caged animals.
Yet according to many on here, Scottish people are obviously completely different. That's the narrative that has been woven into acceptance over the years by politicians and various others.

I don't believe for a moment that Scousers, Mancs and Geordies, for example, don't enjoy a drink at the football any less than we do. The idea somehow, that a £5.50 or whatever pre-match plastic tumbler of cooking lager on the concourses is beyond Scots for a game versus Ross County is just backward nonsense.

And I say this as someone who isn't a big drinker at all.

It’ll never happen under SNP.

I don’t really mind, not a big drinker, often drive to the game. Nice to have the option though. Went to West Ham v Man City earlier this season and a couple of pints on a hot day was welcome. Biggest plus is the revenue for the club for me.

People that want to drink and go to football already drink and go to football. I don’t think it would make any difference to behaviour at all.

OK let's just work back the way on that.

How many clubs that sell alcohol down south decide to revert back and decide it isn't worth their while?

I think we can both hazard a guess at the answer.
I think you've just got to go along with ignoring the fact we already sell it pretty readily as long as you've paid thousands for a ticket instead of hundreds, and that hundreds if not thousands of other clubs have managed it worldwide.

A pal of mine down south is a Hull City fan and he genuinely thought I was joking when I told him that the sale of beer is banned from kiosks at Scottish stadiums. How utterly backward, particularly when the income streams of clubs here need to be maximised as much as possible.

Not really fussed about drink in the stadiums, i don’t think it’s really necessary however I find it utterly pointless that it’s not legal to drink on a supporters bus going to a game

U could be in the louden at 11am and end up smashed before the game, yet a bus leaving at say 1.30 and u can’t take a couple of beers with you

Mental

Not really fussed about drink in the stadiums, i don’t think it’s really necessary however I find it utterly pointless that it’s not legal to drink on a supporters bus going to a game

U could be in the louden at 11am and end up smashed before the game, yet a bus leaving at say 1.30 and u can’t take a couple of beers with you

Mental
I think it's the worst case scenario of someone going off on one in a moving vehicle and potentially doing something to impair the driver in live traffic.

OK let's just work back the way on that.

How many clubs that sell alcohol down south decide to revert back and decide it isn't worth their while?

I think we can both hazard a guess at the answer.
Most stadia in England are set up better to serve alcohol as the stands were built with that in mind. Ibrox doesn't really lend itself to selling alcohol in the same way without some redesign of the kiosks.

I've been to around 45 of the current league grounds and a few ex league grounds and very rarely drink inside the ground unless the pubs nearby are home fans only but nearly all are set up better than Ibrox for selling alcohol.

Fortunately I don't have problems getting served when i do have a drink inside as Accy don't usually have a big away support but it's a struggle to get anything at Ibrox. Plus the profit margin on soft drinks and hot drinks at Ibrox would likely be far higher than on alcohol.

A pal of mine down south is a Hull City fan and he genuinely thought I was joking when I told him that the sale of beer is banned from kiosks at Scottish stadiums. How utterly backward, particularly when the income streams of clubs here need to be maximised as much as possible.

People I know down here can't believe it either
I went to watch gloucester city yesterday only 700 people there beer available for all of the game

Football attracts too many idiots...sell say 15-20000 pints at Ibrox on a day and the toilets wouldnt cope, the lazy will just piss under the seat in front of them rather than queue or miss the game.
It might force people to use the toilets for their intended purpose instead of hiding out like naughty teenagers at school smoking behind the bike sheds

Football attracts too many idiots...sell say 15-20000 pints at Ibrox on a day and the toilets wouldnt cope, the lazy will just piss under the seat in front of them rather than queue or miss the game.
You think because people are given access to a couple of pints of weak beer that they’ll lose all sense of decency, forget how to act like a human and just piss where they sit?

People just get pished before games to excess now anyway so maybe it would be a more controlled environment - especially if the queue for the food is anything to go by, you'd have no chance of getting drunk. Its a business opportunity and like any other pub we'd get a licence if there were regular issues it would be withdrawn, taking the number of people at a match into context however.

It doesn’t effect me as I don’t drink before games anyway, but for the people that do, I can’t see how it would make much difference.

At the minute I see plenty who are blootered, selling cans inside the ground isn’t going to change that, it might get them into the stadium a bit quicker

That cup final riot is now closer to the start of WW2 than it is to present day, no idea why people still bang on about it.
I was there as a 19 year old, that's a scary stat you just posted, it only seems like yesterday.

We Chased Them All Over Hampden.

Treat people like adults and the authorities might find they behave like adults. Bring it back and give people chance to prove it wasn't the root of all evil.

I wouldn't mind it back for a trial. My only issue would be dafties throwing drink up in the air when we score as they see folk doing it on the telly. It's a stupid trend.

I wouldn't mind it back for a trial. My only issue would be dafties throwing drink up in the air when we score as they see folk doing it on the telly. It's a stupid trend.
I don’t think it would ever be allowed at the seats though will it?

It would just be available inside the stadium

The hypocrisy between Rugby and Football is hilarious.

Have a few beers and sing about a historical battle at rugby in Edinburgh and it's Sporting Patriotism.

Do the same in Glasgow at football and it's Drunken Sectarian Behaviour.

These threads always attract the usual pish from people that have never been to a domestic game down south.

- Some people get into the ground early and have one or two inside the concourse.
- Barely anyone sneaks booze in.
- Queues and limits mean you can’t realistically get more than two pints of weak beer/cider at half time.
- The alcohol must be consumed in the concourse and isn’t allowed to be consumed in view of the pitch.

But aye, it’ll be carnage, Scottish people can’t be trusted (the English are angels) blah, blah, blah.

The real issue would be the fact that the shitty facilities up here couldn’t manage it.
I’ve often thought that maybe games could be categorised, so cat A games such as derbies it wouldn’t be permitted but for cat B it would. And even then maybe only available to home support. It’s a tough one, not being old enough to remember it being allowed on match days I don’t know exactly how much of an issue it was, I’ve only seen the infamous OF cup final footage.

As with anything else, stupid is as stupid does so people that are prone to cause bother will cause it whether they can get an extra drink or two, or not.

As a veteran of the carnage of the 1980 Cup Final I can totally understand why booze was banned back then, but times and drining habits have changed and would support it being brought back in a controlled way.

I’ve often thought that maybe games could be categorised, so cat A games such as derbies it wouldn’t be permitted but for cat B it would. And even then maybe only available to home support. It’s a tough one, not being old enough to remember it being allowed on match days I don’t know exactly how much of an issue it was, I’ve only seen the infamous OF cup final footage.

As with anything else, stupid is as stupid does so people that are prone to cause bother will cause it whether they can get an extra drink or two, or not.
It wasn’t allowed, people took bevvy in with them and a blind eye was turned.

The only example we can use is England (and Wales), where there is as much of a drinking culture going to the football as there is here. It works absolutely fine.

No one can seriously argue that alcohol can be served at Millwall v West Ham games and claim it would be carnage up here.

The only people arguing against it are the same people scared to walk down Union Street, absolute bedwetters.

Back