Is it time to bring back the booze to football?

If kiosks poured and sold the beer in a quick and efficient way and you couldn't take the drink to your seat then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth a trial.

Not selling booze isn't exactly stopping drunk fans, the neds will turn up half-cut or drunk anyway.

Fans could go in an hour before KO and spend an extra tenner on a couple of pints.

If 10% of the stadium did that, we'd bring in £50k per home match.
It's a good point,like you say many are smashed before they enter the stadium,and that extra revenue would really help the club,taking the queues you'd be lucky to get 2 pints also drinking on the concourse can't see it really be too much of a problem,could be worth a trial.

It wasn’t allowed, people took bevvy in with them and a blind eye was turned.

The only example we can use is England (and Wales), where there is as much of a drinking culture going to the football as there is here. It works absolutely fine.

No one can seriously argue that alcohol can be served at Millwall v West Ham games and claim it would be carnage up here.

The only people arguing against it are the same people scared to walk down Union Street, absolute bedwetters.
Howlin’ :D

That’s a good point about England, Wales. I would think any trial would quickly point out whether it would be a problem or not.

It wasn’t allowed, people took bevvy in with them and a blind eye was turned.

The only example we can use is England (and Wales), where there is as much of a drinking culture going to the football as there is here. It works absolutely fine.

No one can seriously argue that alcohol can be served at Millwall v West Ham games and claim it would be carnage up here.

The only people arguing against it are the same people scared to walk down Union Street, absolute bedwetters.
Eight pages in,and we're still getting people talking about bringing it back. As you say a blind eye was turned regarding fans taking stuff in which in turn could be used as missiles. Even at this point the police would indulge in a purge every now and then, and search and confiscate drink. My late pal was in the mounted branch and he used to regale us with story's of his mob enjoying the fruits of that confiscated ''loot'' in the back of their transport whilst the match was in progress.

It's a good point,like you say many are smashed before they enter the stadium,and that extra revenue would really help the club,taking the queues you'd be lucky to get 2 pints also drinking on the concourse can't see it really be too much of a problem,could be worth a trial.
Do you really think that people would buy it a pint at a time? :))

When we were over at the USG game the 2 boys in front of us came back with 12 Stella. They hadn't realised that it was alcohol free

When we were over at the USG game the 2 boys in front of us came back with 12 Stella. They hadn't realised that it was alcohol free
Don't think the bears in the queue would be happy waiting for the guy in front buying 10 beers for himself/mates :D be a lot of growling.Lol

at the glasgow warriors there's a 4 pint per customer limit, assume it would be similar.

They wouldn’t have an option if there was an outlandish idea like a limit per customer applied.

at the glasgow warriors there's a 4 pint per customer limit, assume it would be similar.

Yeah it was the same at Murrayfield last time I was there, if there's more than one of you in the queue they'd put 8 pints through in 2 separate transactions for example. You can therefore still buy 4 pints per person.

They wouldn’t have an option if there was an outlandish idea like a limit per customer applied.
Another rule to add to they many they don't enforce already :))

I would think that the stewards and people serving would show the same level of diligence that they do now with smoking, drinking, searching, getting in without tickets, standing in passageways etc

Another rule to add to they many they don't enforce already :))

I would think that the stewards and people serving would show the same level of diligence that they do now with smoking, drinking, searching, getting in without tickets, standing in passageways etc
None of those rules involve physically handing someone a certain amount of items, after charging them for a certain amount of items.

I think they’d manage.

None of those rules involve physically handing someone a certain amount of items, after charging them for a certain amount of items.

I think they’d manage.
Of course because the person wanting it will say no problem just give me one then rather than kicking off like a dafty :))

Regarding bringing back booze into football

Has it ever gone away :eek: since they officially banned it

Supporters just don’t broadcast the fact they have a wee half bottle in their pocket

What fucking planet are you on?
I could ask the same :)) obviously in your world everyone does what they're told and behaves impeccably. In real life most do but some don't, that's the way of the world.

I could ask the same :)) obviously in your world everyone does what they're told and behaves impeccably. In real life most do but some don't, that's the way of the world.
So in your scenario, everyone knows the limit (usually a minimum of 2, not 1), but someone gets to the front of the queue at half time, asks for more than 2, is told it’s a limit of 2 per customer…and after waiting patiently in a queue they decide to kick off because they aren’t getting more than 2 4% beers?

Utter pish. Not once at any event with drink limits, including football south of the border, have I seen this happen.

So in your scenario, everyone knows the limit (usually a minimum of 2, not 1), but someone gets to the front of the queue at half time, asks for more than 2, is told it’s a limit of 2 per customer…and after waiting patiently in a queue they decide to kick off because they aren’t getting more than 2 4% beers?

Utter pish. Not once at any event with drink limits, including football south of the border, have I seen this happen.
It's not a novelty south of the border and I know what it's like because after watching football south of the border for nigh on 40 years and visiting a fair amount of grounds at various levels it gives you a rough idea.

For what it's worth I don't care if they introduce it up here as I'm unlikely to use it, I just don't think the club will go for it.

Of course it should be allowed. Stalls and self-service machines.

Spruce up the concourses while they're at it, the extra revenue would cover it in jig time.

And you get stuck behind this guy.. :))

I think I'm the only person that doesn't want it back. I could see it being a nightmare cunts spilling drink around you

People are bad enough at the games.

So many incidents in recent years of fans throwing objects at players as well, I can't see this going ahead anytime soon.

People are bad enough at the games.

So many incidents in recent years of fans throwing objects at players as well, I can't see this going ahead anytime soon.
I’ve never seen anyone throw a plastic cup from the concourse onto the pitch.

The nutters already drink too much and ruin it. The chance to have a couple of pints at Ibrox wouldn’t change that.
Exactly.

Those waistbanding a bottle of tonic or a couple of Dragon Soops are not going to stop because a pint is now available at at kiosk for £6.

Yeah it was the same at Murrayfield last time I was there, if there's more than one of you in the queue they'd put 8 pints through in 2 separate transactions for example. You can therefore still buy 4 pints per person.
Murrayfield is about £5 for a can of warm Tennents - better than nothing but not much

I’ve often thought that maybe games could be categorised, so cat A games such as derbies it wouldn’t be permitted but for cat B it would. And even then maybe only available to home support. It’s a tough one, not being old enough to remember it being allowed on match days I don’t know exactly how much of an issue it was, I’ve only seen the infamous OF cup final footage.

As with anything else, stupid is as stupid does so people that are prone to cause bother will cause it whether they can get an extra drink or two, or not.

It was never allowed on match days!

Am I correct in saying there never was booze in football, in that it was never sold in the stands, it was punters with their carry-ins ? So 'bringing it back' means introducing it for public sale.

Am I correct in saying there never was booze in football, in that it was never sold in the stands, it was punters with their carry-ins ? So 'bringing it back' means introducing it for public sale.

Insert "Scottish" before football and you're correct.
No different from today I believe, I have read on here that getting caught nowadays may get you a more severe penalty than back in the day though, but not sure about that!
There's still punters that smuggle the bevvy in but to a much lesser extent than back then, but you are correct, booze was never allowed to Scottish football fans.

Last edited:
Back