Is it time to end the Saturday 3pm TV blackout?

Is it even an option? The new TV deal runs until 2029, can it be amended to include things like this? Highly doubt that would be possible until the next decade at least. We're fùcked, lol

The amount of people that would choose not to physically attend their Club’s game to watch two different teams on telly is negligible.
Now it is. Over time it would eat away at attendances including ourselves. People leave early and go to pub. It's only a small jump to just bypassing the game altogether and going to pub. Especially in the depths of winter.

It is a bit ridiculous that everyone in the world can access 3pm kick offs in the UK... apart from people in the UK.

The blackout decision was agreed upon by men that no football fan could realistically name, and probably long before they were even born.

That said, I'm undecided. It likely does help attendances, particularly lower league/non league matches. And there is already so much football on TV.

Yeah, should have been ended years ago. Internet speeds and streaming have changed the accessibility of football and the younger generations are going to be far more relaxed about using these methods.

Football needs to get ahead of the curve and make games accessible legally and for a fair price.

The 3pm blackout is an absolute nonsense to be honest, total head in the sand stuff in this day and age.

You can watch any game you want now with the various means available. It wont stop the people who want to go and watch their team at the stadium from doing so.

With IPTV being available so readily, I'm no longer convinced that televising 3pm kick offs are what is causing the low attendances at football just now. It might as well be removed.
If you don't get the enjoyment out of physically attending a match, a TV black out isn't going to change your mind.

Should have been binned years ago and surprised it wasn't formally done away with after COVID.

Near enough every other country in Europe done away with blackout broadcasting hours years ago and as far as I'm aware, there was no impact on attendences. In this day and age it is relatively straightforward to view a Saturday 3pm game online in some way or another. Trying to enforce it is the equivalent to farting against a hurricane.

I prefer to attend the games personally - I get easily distracted watching on TV. If the fact that Real Madrid v Barcelona live on TV happened to be the decider in choosing to attend a game, the chances are you weren't really looking to go along in the first place.

Last edited:
There should be an option to pay to stream the game IMO.

Scottish clubs were allowed this last season and my dad liked having this option. Could watch our non-TV games by simply using my RTV login rather than going "round the houses" to try and find a stream.

Fans having the option to pay £9.99 (for argument's sake) to watch a game on PPV is £9.99 more than clubs would get than a seat sitting empty at the ground.

Not naive to think that folk wouldn't still look to find alternative means to view a game for free but if clubs provide a reliable service and it's easy access, why not?

Last edited:
People can already "access UK 3pm games" from the house
So I think if it was official it wouldn't make much difference

Reactions: VGM
Getting older & living in SE England - my attendances at Ibrox regrettably get less & less every season
I'd love to have the option of being able to watch any Rangers game - no matter what time / day it occurs - on T.V.
So from a purely selfish point of view- I'd be all for it

I realise it's more than possible that crowd sizes could be adversely affected - but I have trouble taking that too seriously when I consider how difficult it is to get tickets - (home & away)

& If I also consider the ridiculous lengths many SPL clubs go to by limiting visiting support resulting in grounds being no where near capacity
Seems to me they've no right to complain about the affects live T.V. might have on their attendances

Having a serious journey to travel to Ibrox - the worst kick-off times certainly aren't 3 p.m. Saturday - in fact if there were more games at this time - I'd travel to more games - whether it was on T.V. or not
& I also suspect many others are in the same category
So I can't see there being a significant reduction in crowds going to Ibrox if 3 o'clock kick- offs were televised

Scottish clubs were allowed this last season and my dad liked having this option. Could watch our non-TV games by simply using my RTV login rather than going "round the houses" to try and find a stream.

Fans having the option to pay £9.99 (for argument's sake) to watch a game on PPV is £9.99 more than clubs would get than a seat sitting empty at the ground.

Not naive to think that folk would still look to find alternative means to view a game for free but if clubs provide a reliable service and it's essy access, why not?
This is pretty much my take on it.

There are several reasons some people cannot go to the match. All about access.

There is money to be made from it without a doubt, but the dinosaurs in charge in Scotland havent forward planned since I was born :D

People can already "access UK 3pm games" from the house
So I think if it was official it wouldn't make much difference
Even a getting a couple of thousand to switch from illegal streams or IPTV to an RTV ppv would actually be a decent revenue booster. Plus how many are put off by VPNs etc when we could then have a simple log in and purchase.

With so many different streaming options (Appriciate these arent legal) available most people I know have the ability to watch the majority of games from their homes already.

Add to that every english premier leagiue game and near enough every other major league around the world.

Feels like the cap is already of the bottle with this and not having live games through the main legal providers seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

I am not convinced they will ever get the cap back on the bottle

Only that a ppv option, on club channels, should be available for people who can't attend games, for whatever reason.

Scottish clubs make up a higher percentage of their revenue from gate receipts than any other country in Europe.
Then they should think about playing a more attractive style of play

Who pays "25 to watch two teams play for a draw?

It’s archaic and stupid thst it’s still a thing. As for folk meaning early to watch it in the pub, they’ve already paid their ticket and if they are the kind to want to do that then I doubt they were adding anything to the atmosphere anyway.

Even a getting a couple of thousand to switch from illegal streams or IPTV to an RTV ppv would actually be a decent revenue booster. Plus how many are put off by VPNs etc when we could then have a simple log in and purchase.

As I said in a previous post, my dad is one of those people you allude to. That's despite me offering him my Nord account to help him see the games and he himself actually working in IT.

He'd much rather just pay the money to watch the game without the extra hassle. There will be thousands more out there like that.

Now it is. Over time it would eat away at attendances including ourselves. People leave early and go to pub. It's only a small jump to just bypassing the game altogether and going to pub. Especially in the depths of winter.

The extra exposure at the traditional football Saturday afternoon slot could actually increase interest and attendance over time. No way of knowing either way.

The iptv options are showing them at 3pm anyway. The clubs might as well make it official.

Last edited:
The extra exposure at the traditional football Saturday afternoon could actually increase interest and attendance over time. No way of knowing either way.

The iptv options are showing them at 3pm anyway. The clubs might as well make it official.
Genuinely believe the big TV companies would pay a premium to have a Saturday 3pm slot in their coverage of whatever league.

The traditional time for football in the UK. Centre of the weekend, possibly the biggest potential audience and advertising would be all over it as a result.

The other thing to consider is that other sports in the UK don't have blackouts on their broadcasts.

At the same time as the football blackout on a Saturday, I can be watching a rugby game whilst other games in the same league are going on and has no bearing on the attendances.

Genuinely believe the big TV companies would pay a premium to have a Saturday 3pm slot in their coverage of whatever league.

The traditional time for football in the UK. Centre of the weekend, possibly the biggest potential audience and advertising would be all over it as a result.

Would be different if we all were sharing EPL riches, but as we’re not why should we stick to a rule that could inhibit the Scottish game.

If the EPL want us to maintain the TV blackout (they’re probably not bothered,) they should compensate us for it.

With IPTV being available so readily, I'm no longer convinced that televising 3pm kick offs are what is causing the low attendances at football just now. It might as well be removed.
If you don't get the enjoyment out of physically attending a match, a TV black out isn't going to change your mind.
Realistically anyone can watch an EPL game on a Saturday if they have the knowledge. Personally I’d never choose to watch an SPFL game not involving us the standards are so poor.
That said I’m 50/50 on the blackout I doubt it would make any difference in English football but up here Ross County v Motherwell in January or sit in the house and watch Chelsea v Manchester City?

If a club sells say 90% of seats for a game, they should then be able to stream it on tv

If they don’t, they shouldn’t

Back