Is it time to start taking Kilmarnock seriously?

PrivateAye72

On Sunday we went top and despite games in hand you'd have thought we'd have won it.

Kilmarnock are currently top and as we have known over the years points on the board are much much much better than games in hand.

Looking at their form since Clarke took over they are certainly not a diddy mob. (think they are only 3 points behind Celtic in a time scale table? Read that somewhere or something to that effect) They have a young squad with a good amount of experience in there too (more championships than us?)

They play Celtic away this weekend and coming away with a point or 3 would really show they are in this race. Never really considered them as contenders yet this season as they have seemed to have just plodded along and I assumed their purple patch from the end of last year was over.

There's no chance Killie are winning the league.

Can't argue with the job Clarke is doing there though, phenomenal really.

Nope. They are in with a decent shout of third with Clarke at the helm but that’s it, a couple of injuries to key positions and they will struggle, just as Hearts have after a blistering start.

Without a doubt as they a top of the league. They might fall away they might not but defo need to take them seriously.

This december is huge and right now they have played 2 and won 2 while we and the tims have dropped points already.

If they are still in the hunt come march/April you would have to but personally I think they will fall away.

Can't see that tbh, play football against Kilmarnock and you'll take them apart.

Like we did at Rugby Park.

I maybe wrong but I think Clarke is unbeaten against Celtic since he took over at Rugby Park.

They are a very difficult team to beat.

That said, they won’t win the league.

If we are compete with Celtic this year, we must take every team seriously. Complacency this year has been the only negative factor in what has been a very positive start to the season.

In terms of challengers however I don't think we need to worry about Killie just yet..

Can't see them maintaining it until the end of the season when the real pressure lands on your doorstep.

That said, I'd snatch a title decider off you between us and them on the last day of the season.:D

As serious as Hearts were taken at the start of the season, not taking anything away from their achievements in 2018 but its far easier for the players and manager to over achieve under the radar playing in front of 2 men and the pie seller. Same players and manager at Rangers would be bottom 6 from the expectations alone, I just don't buy into the notion that a smaller team over achieving are in some way superior to Rangers fighting to get back to the very top

We had the same thread on Hearts 6 weeks ago.

As it stands, we just need to focus on winning our matches, I suspect come the split, Kilmarnock won't be of a concern to anyone.

I'm sure there was an identical thread to this about Hearts not so long ago and look how that turned out...
On the other hand, I recall in 2014/15 lots of threads on here saying Hearts will fall away and they never did. Yes, that was the championship but I think we overlook Killie at our peril.

After Saturday that could read

Killie 78
Tims 75

They have sustained good form over a calendar year. We'll be under estimating them too because we smashed then in our games with them.
Yea it could be and thats over a seasons worth of games, the chances of them winning the league are remote but they are going to be up there for a while at least.

Clarke is doing a fantastic job there, hopefully they can continue their run at the weekend but doubt it

Not really, but . . . it’s December and they’re top, on a fraction of our resources.

Now that points to Clarke being an excellent coach, but is it then fair to say that we should be expecting more from our players and manager?

Admittedly Gerrard doesn’t have Clarke’s experience, but going by his post match comments last night the gaffer clearly feels the players should be better than they have been.

After the final whistle I immediately felt it was a sign we simply lacked the quality to win consistently, but then I saw Kilmarnock above us and thought how the hell have they managed that on a pittance then?

I’m not really having a go at Gerrard - he’s done a remarkable job in a short space of time - and we have to remember Clarke isn’t having to play top class European opponents every other week, but is there an argument to say we could actually have done better?

As title contenders? Not really, no. But they will no doubt play a vital role in deciding where the title ends up via the 8 games they have against us and the scum. Celtic have already dropped 3 points to them and we've dropped two.

In saying that if they can go to the shitpit and get a win I don't think it will be as much of a joke, but I'm very skeptical they can do anything of the sort

I drink in a Killie pub.

The fans who drink there are just wanting top 6 to be confirmed before they start thinking of anything else.

i posted on here a couple of weeks back that they should be showing more ambition but they have their feet on the ground....at the moment.

Back