Is Klopp a better manager than Pep?

Again, why do people keep telling porkies with regards to Guardiola?

Madrid are bigger than Barcelona, have more financial power than Barcelona, and on what planet are Manchester City the biggest club in England?

Yeah well that’s just like your opinion man. Barca were the better team during his reign, Bayern are easily the biggest team, and Man City have recently turned into arguably the best team in England. Granted some of that is down to Pep to be fair. Whereas Klopp has managed Mainz, BVB, and a Liverpool team that was going nowhere - none of these teams were favourites to win silverware the same as Pep’s teams would have been.

Both managers are good... very good... but I think Klopp has done more.

Yeah well that’s just like your opinion man. Barca were the better team during his reign, Bayern are easily the biggest team, and Man City have recently turned into arguably the best team in England. Granted some of that is down to Pep to be fair. Whereas Klopp has managed Mainz, BVB, and a Liverpool team that was going nowhere - none of these teams were favourites to win silverware the same as Pep’s teams would have been.

It’s not “just like, my opinion man”, it’s an absolute fact. Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world. Barca were the best team during his reign because of him and had just finished 3rd behind Villarreal when he took control, if anything that’s an argument to back Guardiola. Manchester City had just finished 4th when Guardiola rolled up, they became the best side in the league and broke records AFTER he arrived there. Again that’s down to Guardiola, if spending power was all that mattered then Manchester United wouldn’t be fighting with Leicester City for 4th spot and Spurs wouldn’t have been anywhere near last years Champions League Final.

BVB are a big club, they’re not West Bromwich Albion, they were domestic and European champions in the late 90’s too and have a history of having top talent. Liverpool no matter how much it’s overlooked, are big spenders and always have been, they’ve spent big, they pay massive wages and they’re a huge club, bigger than Manchester City. Im just being honest here, there’s some amount of absolute fiction posted on here when it comes to these two, Guardiola in particular.

They aren’t even the biggest club in Manchester :))

It’s true though isn’t it? A better team now of course, but not even close to being a bigger club. But folk seem to look at how Guardiola’s clubs were AFTER he arrived and shuffled things and simple pretend that was the condition of those squads upon his arrival. It’s bollocks :D

How come nobody refers to Klopp as “Jurgen” in the way Guardiola is referred to as “Pep”?!

I put this in the thread a while back, but the way Merson explains it is how I kindda see it, starts 29mins in

Again, why do people keep telling porkies with regards to Guardiola?

Madrid are bigger than Barcelona, have more financial power than Barcelona, and on what planet are Manchester City the biggest club in England?

If me and you are agreed about something then it must be obvious:D

He says ever City player costs £80m. Rodri is Peps biggest transfer at £63m.

He’s an absolute moron who after Guardiola’s first season at City, was giving it “ahhh Pep’s been found out in the Premier League, you can’t do that tippy tappy stuff here, it’s fine in Spain and Germany but not here”. He then took a giant custard pie to the face the following season as City swept everyone aside and broke records playing that tippy tappy brand of football Merson was chuckling away at previously.

I think Merson seems like a right decent guy, but he’s definitely not someone I’d go to for an informed opinion, especially given he knows feck all about what goes on in European football in general.

Pep was desperate to sign VVD but Liverpool outbid them :D Poor poverty ridden Liverpool :rolleyes:

To be honest I’m stunned that hasn’t been mentioned until now. Also no mention of the fact he wanted Alexis and United out-bid them. “Unlimited resources” is the phrase that’s been used 100 times over in this thread :D

ps. In hindsight the Alexis thing maybe worked out for the best.

Pep was desperate to sign VVD but Liverpool outbid them :D Poor poverty ridden Liverpool :rolleyes:

Van Dyke £75m
Allison £56m
Kieta £56m
Fabinho £40m
Salah £37m
Mane £37m
Firmini £36m
O.Chamberain £34m

Klopp is a fantastic manager and has done great things with Liverpoolmthese last few seasons but he isn’t doing it on a shoestring budget and he isn’t doing it with a Leicester. Liverpool are one of the worlds biggest clubs. Far bigger than City certainly.

Both are brilliant managers but I would say pep shades it right now purely for the sublime football his teams play,maybe I'm a bit biased as I have been down to a few city games but the football is a joy to watch.

Van Dyke £75m
Allison £56m
Kieta £56m
Fabinho £40m
Salah £37m
Mane £37m
Firmini £36m
O.Chamberain £34m

Klopp is a fantastic manager and has done great things with Liverpoolmthese last few seasons but he isn’t doing it on a shoestring budget and he isn’t doing it with a Leicester. Liverpool are one of the worlds biggest clubs. Far bigger than City certainly.

Conversely, if you never actually knew who Pep signed for City but had to guess by going off the comments on this thread, who would you guess? I reckon you’d guess that in his time at City he’d signed Ronaldo, Iniesta, Modric, Lewandowski, Suarez, Van Dijk and the like. You probably wouldn’t guess Jesus, Sane, Ederson, Walker and Mahrez - all of whom were definitely not considered to be among the world’s very best players prior to their arrival there.

Van Dyke £75m
Allison £56m
Kieta £56m
Fabinho £40m
Salah £37m
Mane £37m
Firmini £36m
O.Chamberain £34m

The FF Accountants will be along soon with their spreadsheets and calculators #NetSpend :D :D

Thinking about tonight and Pep has won leagues with the best teams in their league. Does Klopp trump that with Dortmund and Liverpool? Yes he had money but unfancied teams compared to Pep.

I think klopp is the better manager.

Paul Merson is a idiot. Had to turn that rant off after 2 minutes due to the pish he spouts, another sky sports wanker.

How many players did Pep sign that where at the top of the game when he signed them? He has signed players and turned them into top pros. Not one person was shouting he must sign Bernardo Silva for eg or Jesus. Many more I could add

Paul Merson is a idiot. Had to turn that rant off after 2 minutes due to the pish he spouts, another sky sports wanker.

How many players did Pep sign that where at the top of the game when he signed them? He has signed players and turned them into top pros. Not one person was shouting he must sign Bernardo Silva for eg or Jesus. Many more I could add

He mustn’t have seen much of Salah at Roma either where he was superb.

I don’t think you can directly compare the trophies. Pep has been at the biggest club in each league. Klopp hasn’t.

If this were true (which is debatable) then surely there's a reason he's been at those clubs? Because he's the best.

Has Guardiola ever been sacked btw? Where did Dortmund finish in Klopp's final season?

I actually like Klopp and think he's done brilliantly for Liverpool but he's not better than Guardiola.

Barca were the better team because Pep turned them into that. The season before he joined they finished 3rd I believe. After that they won everything in their path and he built what is probably the best club side of all time.

He’s an absolute moron who after Guardiola’s first season at City, was giving it “ahhh Pep’s been found out in the Premier League, you can’t do that tippy tappy stuff here, it’s fine in Spain and Germany but not here”. He then took a giant custard pie to the face the following season as City swept everyone aside and broke records playing that tippy tappy brand of football Merson was chuckling away at previously.

I think Merson seems like a right decent guy, but he’s definitely not someone I’d go to for an informed opinion, especially given he knows feck all about what goes on in European football in general.

Didn't he basically say De Bruyne was hopeless and City were daft for buying him or was that someone else?

If this were true (which is debatable) then surely there's a reason he's been at those clubs? Because he's the best.

Has Guardiola ever been sacked btw? Where did Dortmund finish in Klopp's final season?

I actually like Klopp and think he's done brilliantly for Liverpool but he's not better than Guardiola.

Barca were the better team because Pep turned them into that. The season before he joined they finished 3rd I believe. After that they won everything in their path and he built what is probably the best club side of all time.

But, but, but he inherited Messi, Xavi and Iniesta!! (even though managers before and after him had them as well yet never created a beast anything like what he did :D)

But, but, but he inherited Messi, Xavi and Iniesta!! (even though managers before and after him had them as well yet never created a beast anything like what he did :D)

I mean having Messi definitely helps :D

But he gave Messi the platform to shine and got rid of the likes of Ronaldinho and Deco as he thought they were bad influences on him.

FWIW I think if Man City and Liverpool were at full strength, City are still the better team who I'd fancy to win.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Paul Merson never knew who Roma are. The Gillette soccer crew are absolutely brutal and know the square root of %^*& all about football.

Chris Kamara has made a career out of getting things wrong as if it’s brilliant.

Still remember Phil Thompson putting Ashley Young up there on Messi’s level. Good times

Last edited:

Fucking brilliant!

And it was both of the chuckle brothers at it too. I know they’re ex pros but there are genuinely scores of armchair fans with football knowledge that dwarves theirs. As long as you watch at least a few of Europe’s top leagues you’re already better positioned to pass judgement on more players than them.

A lot of the pundits seem to have zero knowledge outside of English football.

Remember when Agüero made his City debut against Swansea and scored a screamer and it was like a gem had just been unearthed, a talent that had been kept hidden from the world, as opposed a player who had been hyped up and highly rated on the world stage from the age of 17 and who had been showcasing his world class talent for Atletico for a good number of years.

J
Remember when Agüero made his City debut against Swansea and scored a screamer and it was like a gem had just been unearthed, a talent that had been kept hidden from the world, as opposed a player who had been hyped up and highly rated on the world stage from the age of 17 and who had been showcasing his world class talent for Atletico for a good number of years.
You still get people who are convinced Messi would be a busted flush in English football. He’s scored bucket loads against England’s greatest teams over the past decade in the CL and yet people are still not convinced he could do it ‘week in, and week out’ in the Premier League.

J

You still get people who are convinced Messi would be a busted flush in English football. He’s scored bucket loads against England’s greatest teams over the past decade in the CL and yet people are still not convinced he could do it ‘week in, and week out’ in the Premier League.

Yes that is beyond me. Messi couldn’t do it in a league that has seen Gary Caldwell captain a side in it.

J

If he comes and plays a few seasons against your Norwich’s, Bournemouths and the like he might reach the 1000 mark before he hangs up his boots. :))

Are people genuinely putting Paul Merson forward as a serious critic of Pep Guardiola?

That's like a dog reviewing films.

no mate you just framed it that way, it's easy to slag people off instead of giving a counter point, the guy expressed an opinion which I agree with, you don't that's fine, no need for a character assassination of the guy which some posters have done which has got nowt to do with anything

J

It’s such a bizarre train of thought and even weirder than you still read that kind of thing today even though he’s scored more goals against England’s top 6 than most of the top strikers who’ve actually played in England.

If he can take the piss out of Vidic and Ferdinand in a CL final at Wembley, nutmegging them like weans on a playground, then I’m sure he’d be fine in that league. And for my money Ferdinand and Vidic were as good a defensive partnership as European football has seen in a long time.

Soccer Saturday has totally ran it's course now. It used to be decent years ago but in terms of knowledge and actual analysis/punditry it's horrific now. It's like a bunch of old guys down the pub half cut talking about football.

It's not a serious platform for football analysis anymore.

It needs a major rejig to get proper football pundits on it now that actually study the game and can provide some insightful analysis.

Soccer Saturday has totally ran it's course now. It used to be decent years ago but in terms of knowledge and actual analysis/punditry it's horrific now. It's like a bunch of old guys down the pub half cut talking about football.

It's not a serious platform for football analysis anymore.

It needs a major rejig to get proper football pundits on it now that actually study the game and can provide some insightful analysis.

I still remember the days when it was George Best and Rodney Marsh (pre-Tsunami joke obviously). It was great back then but I agree, it needs freshened up and could do with a more formal tone.

Back