Is Messi going to shortly be a problem for Barca?

He’ll find it much easier if he moves to England or Italy because any side he moves too will be far better than that Barca side he’s been carrying for years.
Messi would walk it in Italy.

I'm not convinced about England at this stage though, it would be a bit of a culture shock and by the time he adapts, age might start to catch up with him

Messi would walk it in Italy.

I'm not convinced about England at this stage though, it would be a bit of a culture shock and by the time he adapts, age might start to catch up with him

He’s far better than a load of played who’ve pissed it in England. Particularly in a side like Liverpool or City, would be easy for him. Wish he’d made that move a couple of years earlier though.

Either way, put him at Inter or Liverpool and his side will no longer concede 4, 5 and 6 goals in CL knockouts.

If Messi offered to play for any of the top sides for 200k a week you reckon they would say no?

Can you private message me your drug dealer cheers
Sorry, you claimed"any professional football team in the world" just a few minutes ago.

I don't need contact details for your drug dealers, because you seem to be doing bad drugs.

Ronaldo has been as good in different leagues, that's where it comes from.

Messi's peak is probably the highest of all time but Ronaldo has been more impressive on average and has had a better career as a result.

Think he's left it too late to prove otherwise, would like to be wrong though
Ronaldo I think is more adaptable to getting older and can see him playing till 40 if not more and still be unplayable. Similar to Ibra, he could drop into any team in the world now and and be a goal machine. They are just powerful, relentless machines.

Messi could play to 40 as well easily but teams would need to adapt to fit him and get the best out of him.

He’s far better than a load of played who’ve pissed it in England. Particularly in a side like Liverpool or City, would be easy for him. Wish he’d made that move a couple of years earlier though.

Either way, put him at Inter or Liverpool and his side will no longer concede 4, 5 and 6 goals in CL knockouts.
I'm not sure Messi replaces Salah or Mane though, he's a better player than both but at that role specifically? Not sure.

City is a much better fit but I don't think it makes much sense for them either, he is unfortunately a bit of a gamble at his age.

I actually think PSG is his most likely European destination

Said to a mate earlier messi would have a season or 2 still to shine if he was surrounded by world class quality pique, busquets ect are past it still made the point that they are great players however they are not athletes in their prime is the best way I could describe it.

I'm not sure Messi replaces Salah or Mane though, he's a better player than both but at that role specifically? Not sure.

City is a much better fit but I don't think it makes much sense for them either, he is unfortunately a bit of a gamble at his age.

I actually think PSG is his most likely European destination

He wouldn’t need to replace either. He plays much deeper than both of those players too. Koop and Guardiola would find a way to utilise him. I think it would give the player a boost too, regardless of wha the says in public it must be soul destroying playing for Barca these last few years.

Nope, you've completely misunderstood my earlier post much like every other responder so far.

So you wrote:

Realistically where could Messi go?

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So you say he's not got the ability to play, then you said no one could afford him. To me that is two different arguments, what bit aren't we understanding?

Messi isn't the problem at Barca. Tonight they had Pique, Alba, Busquets, Vidal, and Suarez who, along with Messi, are the wrong side of 30; all possibly the best in the world in their respective positions at one stage in their careers, but not now. You could get away with one or two, but having more than half your starting 11 at that age is asking for trouble, no matter who it is and how prolonged players' careers are now. On the bench, Rakitic is about 32 and Griezmann will be 30 in about 6 months. Messi should probably stay but it's the others I'd be looking to ship out.

So you wrote:

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So you say he's not got the ability to play, then you said no one could afford him. To me that is two different arguments, what bit aren't we understanding?
Well, is he going to Real?

Where in England could he go to?

If he was to go to Germany then it has to be Bayern and that is not going to happen IMO.

Where can Messi realistically move to in Europe?

So you wrote:

Ineffective? I have heard it all now.

So you wrote:

My argument would be that barca are paying him too much, at the expense of the rest of the team. They probably cant afford him anymore, but they cant afford to let him go

So you wrote:

Hmmm. How would Messi perform in the EPL?

He can pass the ball as good as Kevin De Bruyne.

Can score goals like Sergio Auguero.

Can dribble past opponents like Eden Hazard.

3 players who have excelled in the EPL.

I think he would do ok.

Might struggle against Stoke City on a cold rainy night though.

Any team in the EPL who buys Messi, even a Messi that maybe past his absolute power, wins the EPL. It's a risk-reward situation. Man Utd may think that it may be worth the risk to get them back to where they were their 2020 Cantona if you will. Messi needs to move though, Barca is a 3 year rebuild job minimum and his status can only be diminished from now on if he stays,

In the match Steve Mcmanaman blurted out in an incredulous tone “how can Coutinho not get in this Barca team? He’s been on ten minutes has one assist and two goals”.

The Barca team is obviously set up to get the best out of Messi. For me the lad is the greatest player ever and it’s logical why they would do this. But at some point he is going to go from being unplayable to having bad or at least less impactful games and their system doesn’t seem to let other ‘stars’ shine - for example Coutinho and Griezman look dog shite in their system.

This is in no way a reaction to tonight’s game before anyone does 2+2 and gets 5. Barca had plenty issues tonight and Messi was the least of their worries - it was just something I thought about during the game as they discussed the next manager. At some point a manager will have a really difficult call to make. Maybe they will need someone like Xavi to be given the freedom from the fans to make such a huge decision.

Ron Atkinson’s “Barcelona think defence is something you put around de garden” was never more apt. :))
He is not the greatest player ever I'm afraid. Cristiano Ronaldo gets that title.

He’s definitely aged well football-wise. At 33 you usually see a wheel fall off but he’s still the glue that holds that team together. I’d love to see him end up at a club like Inter for a year or so then back to Newell’s for the poetic career finish.

Maybe eventually, but I wish we had Messi as a problem.

He remains the best player in the world for me. Pique, Busquets, some others and a terrible transfer record are Barcelona's problem. Having Messi in your team is never a disadvantage.

Mauricio Pochettino will come in, make them hungry, Messi will be happy, until he leaves, then the rebuild will happen.
Tbh I hope they stagnate or continue to go backwards, Real loyal

Signing policy has been a shambles in recent seasons. And how they ever let Thiago leave I’ll never know , he is up there with xavi in that deep lying midfielder role , unbelievable player.

Wasn’t as if he wasn’t massively hyped either, and justifiably so. I was astounded they let him go. Ready made replacement for Xavi and they just went “nah”

They need someone to come in and make the hard decisions that Pep did when he took over.

Unfortunately for that, they are now at a point where some players overrule the manager.

This confirms to me that the vast majority of FF watches a different game to everyone else. Messi tonight played some unreal passes that only he could spot, he tried his best in a poor (by modern standards) Barcelona team. He very nearly conjured a moment of magic if not at least once then twice, which on another night results in a goal.

Do not mistake me for a Messi fanboy because I am anything but. If he had a poor game tonight it would be shouted from the rooftops. The truth is he done his best to carry a bang average ageing Barcelona team who ended up getting a doing off the best club side seen in Europe for a few years.

I actually hope that he does leave Barca in the next couple of seasons to see out his career at Newell’s, IMO it would be a fitting end to an incredible career. If Barcelona continue to be run as they are then this is a very real possibility.

Back