Is Morelos a Rangers legend?

He is a legend , his first few seasons were in more challenging times some people might use that against him, just the 1 trophy so far and no UCL apps/goals , but there's still time

He's played a massive part of our journey to 55 and contributed to some special European nights so far that he will gain legendary status, rightly so.

It's unfortunate that in recent seasons he's started to show more inconsistency in his performances and goalscoring form all whilst amidst noises of him wanting to leave, which has to be playing a part.

The team who brought back the title last season after our descent into the wilderness are all immortal.

Morelos is our top scorer ever in Europe which gives him unique status and an extra place in club history (until someone inevitably scores even more).

He will most definitely be remembered as a very good player, although not in the same breath as the top tier of club legends.

Undoubtedly yes

Top euro goal scorer, part of the squad that won 55, hated by opposition fans - no brainier for me.

Also, it’s clear the pandemic impacted our finances to an extent, evidenced by us choosing not to pay fees for any of our signings this summer. I wonder where we would be without Alfie’s euro goal scoring exploits of the last few seasons

I've always looked at in 4 categories. Played for Rangers.
1.Run of mill guys that can say they played for us. Alex Rae, Gavin Rae,Steven Thompson , Halliday, Dave Mcpherson and the like list is endless.
2 Cult heroes likes of , Novo, Ted McCmin, Marvin Andrews , Graham Roberts etc etc.
3. Rangers Greats. This is where Morelos is imo. Likes of Ian Durrant (only that injury stopped legendary status) Neil McCann, Amoruso, Davie Weir etc etc.
4. Legends. Overused to me this is should really only be used for the truly great. Greig, Gough, Ally (obviously) DJ, Hateley, Baxter, Laudrup etc. Best will in the World Morelos isn't in that conversation for that list of players.

Not for me but perhaps that’s down to me growing up during the late 80s and 90s watching legends like Gough, Goram, McCoist, Laudrup, Gazza etc.

He’s been an unreal signing in terms of only paying £1m given his goal return.

Last seasons squad that won 55 and stopped their 10 will always be special but I guess I view a legend as an extraordinary player that’s won a lot of trophies with us.

Is Morelos an extraordinary player? IMO no. Great value for money but to date we’ve had half of every season good, half of every season mince/average at best.

I’d class him at the same level as Novo in terms of being a fan favourite, scored plenty of massive goals for us but is a level below being deemed worthy of legend status

Not a chance.

Morelos is a good player, I wouldn’t have him down as a great never mind a legend. Maybe that is too critical.

Don’t get me wrong I love the guy to bits, but I don’t think he’s good enough to qualify for legend status.

Nor does he have the trophy haul. 2 League championships and a few cups are a minimum to be a legend imo.

I've always looked at in 4 categories. Played for Rangers.
1.Run of mill guys that can say they played for us. Alex Rae, Gavin Rae,Steven Thompson , Halliday, Dave Mcpherson and the like list is endless.
2 Cult heroes likes of , Novo, Ted McCmin, Marvin Andrews , Graham Roberts etc etc.
3. Rangers Greats. This is where Morelos is imo. Likes of Ian Durrant (only that injury stopped legendary status) Neil McCann, Amoruso, Davie Weir etc etc.
4. Legends. Overused to me this is should really only be used for the truly great. Greig, Gough, Ally (obviously) DJ, Hateley, Baxter, Laudrup etc. Best will in the World Morelos isn't in that conversation for that list of players.

This.

He's 3 goals away from Kenny Miller's goal record in less games. He's closing in on Mark Hateley's goal record in around the same games. Taking away any controversial opinions, are Hateley and Miller greats or legends? Of course

He’s a cult hero, not a legend for me (yet) as I’d say the majority of the team are for winning the 55, only Macgregor and Davis would be up there in terms of legend status currently.

Need to win more than 1 domestic trophy for me

Although it’s an interesting one given the length of time he’s now been at the club and when weigh it up against say Laudrup

Said it before, I still don’t think he does enough for the team, either in number of goals scored or work rate/attitude

I will quite happily upgrade him to legend if we win the treble this season though :)

He's 3 goals away from Kenny Miller's goal record in less games. He's 15 goals away from Mark Hateley's goal record in around the same games. Taking away any controversial opinions, are Hateley and Miller greats or legends? Of course
Kenny Miller is a great for his goals against Celtic alone. Not even taking into account his other games for us.

Reactions: dmg
Absolutely, love the mad bast@rd. A young lad from far away shores comes and has laid down a marker that won’t be forgotten.

I think the word Legend has kind of lost its meaning. It gets banded about that often these days. Morelos for last season and his European goal record will go down on our history books and be marked as a very good player.
Legends for me are guys like Mccoist, Gough, Cooper and John Greig.

Back