Is Morelos a Rangers legend?

I've always looked at in 4 categories. Played for Rangers.
1.Run of mill guys that can say they played for us. Alex Rae, Gavin Rae,Steven Thompson , Halliday, Dave Mcpherson and the like list is endless.
2 Cult heroes likes of , Novo, Ted McCmin, Marvin Andrews , Graham Roberts etc etc.
3. Rangers Greats. This is where Morelos is imo. Likes of Ian Durrant (only that injury stopped legendary status) Neil McCann, Amoruso, Davie Weir etc etc.
4. Legends. Overused to me this is should really only be used for the truly great. Greig, Gough, Ally (obviously) DJ, Hateley, Baxter, Laudrup etc. Best will in the World Morelos isn't in that conversation for that list of players.

ian durrant is a rangers legend

alfie as with his team mates who delivered 55 can be added to club legends for that alone

Reactions: TQ3
Saw this and thought it was an interesting shout. I'd say he definitely is but I know there's a lot of people who might not share that opinion.
No he’s not a legend . He’s done a job for us and yes he’s done well . Unfortunately he’s cost us points , and cup ties with his indiscipline. Those who think he’s a legend will probably be younger bears who don’t have the memories the rest of us . Super ally , Gough Greig Derek Johnstone . Can anyone really say Morelos is in that class. Also due to the fact if he was offered a move to England we wouldn’t see him for dust
Saw this and thought it was an interesting shout. I'd say he definitely is but I know there's a lot of people who might not share that opinion.

Course they aren't, Morelos has never played in sides as good as either did when playing for strong sides either, he played in a side who had to drag themselves up.

A hell of lot of people would class Gazza and Goram as legends, neither often lived at the absolute peak of discipline and professionalism, Laudrup showed a desire to leave, some people do have short memories.
Some of the goals are in qualifiers for the Europa league. I’m gonna say it again, he’s given us some amazing moments but legend in terms of ability or achievement is ridiculous. I like the guy, he’s incredibly inconsistent not the most composed finisher. I’m not sure if he’s a legend that is all.

Some of the goals are in qualifiers for the Europa league. I’m gonna say it again, he’s given us some amazing moments but legend in terms of ability or achievement is ridiculous. I like the guy, he’s incredibly inconsistent not the most composed finisher. I’m not sure if he’s a legend that is all.

You must have been some laugh at the Legia game.

Not really said much in that post to sway me on this one TBH.

I get it, and you keep typing it but you haven't really explained why he isn't.
This is detracting from a thread posted to acknowledge the great contribution Alfredo has made to Rangers.

His achievements don't need exaggerated to make them sound better, let his 100 goals and European record speak for themselves.

The simple reason I put Gazza miles above him is I watched both of them in their entire Rangers career, and "Number 8" was genuine world class. Many of us old enough would still have him in our greatest eleven of players seen over all that time. A truly special talent.

Morelos doesn't belong in the same sentence as the top Rangers all time greats, and we have been lucky to have so many. But not being as great as them doesn't criticise The Buffalo.

This is detracting from a thread posted to acknowledge the great contribution Alfredo has made to Rangers.

His achievements don't need exaggerated to make them sound better, let his 100 goals and European record speak for themselves.

The simple reason I put Gazza miles above him is I watched both of them in their entire Rangers career, and "Number 8" was genuine world class. Many of us old enough would still have him in our greatest eleven of players seen over all that time. A truly special talent.

Morelos doesn't belong in the same sentence as the top Rangers all time greats, and we have been lucky to have so many. But not being as great as them doesn't criticise The Buffalo.

Eh? It is just chat to show where some, me, might place him.

I watched Gazza as well, he was great, I have enjoyed what Morelos has done for Rangers more, wouldn't have Gazza near my best 11 personally, but is what it is.

It's a forum where people chat bud, don't take it that serious.

Nobody really cares about Europe

220px-Piccadilly_Rangers_fanzone.jpg

Makes these two moments a bit awkward does it not?

1.Run of mill guys that can say they played for us. Alex Rae, Gavin Rae,Steven Thompson , Halliday, Dave Mcpherson and the like list is endless.
2 Cult heroes likes of , Novo, Ted McCmin, Marvin Andrews , Graham Roberts etc etc.
3. Rangers Greats. This is where Morelos is imo. Likes of Ian Durrant (only that injury stopped legendary status) Neil McCann, Amoruso, Davie Weir etc etc.
4. Legends. Overused to me this is should really only be used for the truly great. Greig, Gough, Ally (obviously) DJ, Hateley, Baxter, Laudrup etc. Best will in the World Morelos isn't in that conversation for that list of players.

Find myself agreeing with this.

The team who brought back the title last season after our descent into the wilderness are all immortal.

Morelos is our top scorer ever in Europe which gives him unique status and an extra place in club history (until someone inevitably scores even more).

He will most definitely be remembered as a very good player, although not in the same breath as the top tier of club legends.

The kids on here must be desperate if they think Alfie is a Rangers legend. He is a wonderful player, who has ONE TROPHY in his career with Rangers. There are zero Rangers legends with one trophy to dream of, except those who started our club before football was organized. There are St Johnstone players with more medals in their collection! Give that a thought for a second. Across our history anyone who has been here 3.5 years should have averaged 3 trophies!!! One day Alfie may be a legend if he stays another 3-5 years, but right now he is a very good player who is way behind the average successes of Club Legends Jim Bett, Stuart Munro, and is on the same track as Mel Sterland!!! Get a grip people.

Perfect summary imo.

Tav going through the whole journey will always be a legendary captain as well.
Not trying to change the main thread just thought I'd say that.
Nope , not for me, Tav’s a great servant to the club / can’t fault his effort and I’m happy for him / bit of personal redemption there he lifted the trophy, but not a legend and I still wouldnt have him as captain material either.

We’ve been playing in Europe since 1956.

In that time he’s our record scorer both for total goals overall and for goals in a single European campaign.

Of such stuff are legends made.

You have to bear in mind that up until the CL started european competitions consisted of a max of 4 rounds to get to a one off final. In other words 9 games. Compare that to today's set up with qualification rounds followed by mini leagues and then a drop down system for those knocked out.

Not really, the latter season is considered a failure because we didn't win the league.
Not many speak about getting to Manchester as a failure.

I’m struggling to see how this is evidence of people who don’t care TBH. It really felt like people cared being there

I’m obviously a bit older than you. Is Morelos even on the bench for your all time Rangers 11?
A Rangers Da for sure but I’m pretty content with my Rangers history and still not reading much too sway me, efforts to be patronising sure, but not much more.

Course not, we’ve had some unreal forwards, didn’t know there was some kind of capped limit on the number of legends we can have?

Absolutely. Not only that, but probably the first proper icon that any young bears under the age of 15 have known.

It's disingenuous to say it's only a young team thing to call him a legend

• All-time top European goalscorer
  • 100+ goals, joining a select few to achieve that
  • 55 winner
That's legendary stuff

As a poster above said, history will be kind to him

And he's not finished writing history yet either

The kids on here must be desperate if they think Alfie is a Rangers legend. He is a wonderful player, who has ONE TROPHY in his career with Rangers. There are zero Rangers legends with one trophy to dream of, except those who started our club before football was organized. There are St Johnstone players with more medals in their collection! Give that a thought for a second. Across our history anyone who has been here 3.5 years should have averaged 3 trophies!!! One day Alfie may be a legend if he stays another 3-5 years, but right now he is a very good player who is way behind the average successes of Club Legends Jim Bett, Stuart Munro, and is on the same track as Mel Sterland!!! Get a grip people.

Its the same with naming stands after players and managers. Then there's the statues. Celtic love this stuff. Its in their DNA.

A Rangers Da for sure but I’m pretty content with my Rangers history and still not reading much too sway me, efforts to be patronising sure, but not much more.

Course not, we’ve had some unreal forwards, didn’t know there was some kind of capped limit on the number of legends we can have?
We’ll have to agree to disagree on what makes a legend.

I don’t see why people have to argue over this, from my point of view we have our legends. They have all been mentioned in this thread.

I believe this is the first occasion where you can add a team to that category unless you want to consider 1992/93 as well?

I look on last seasons team as legends for what they achieved, against the odds. They should have a rightful place in our history.

The team are legendary, I don’t want to start getting down to individual players as you start being negative towards the achievement.

As someone said above; would any of them make the best Rangers 11 or the bench?
No chance but we’re not debating legend vs legends here.

At the moment he’s a legend as he’s part of last years team, he will probably leave the club before he has the chance to become a legend in his own right.

I know you’re very much a Morelos fan that cannot accept any other differing views

But here’s a few reasons.

-he’s yet to perform well for a full season since joining us

-he’s only won 1 trophy in his time here

-he’s not a world class player or even a level below that level.
Do you actually support Rangers?
Serious question.

Back