Is Morelos a Rangers legend?

For me he is a great but not yet a legend. But completely understand why some class him as a legend.

It is difficult to fairly evaluate because players are a victim of their time to a certain extent.

Morelos would have won more trophies in almost any other era but would have had tougher European games to play in so wouldn't have gotten close to top European goal scorer.

I'd say he is closer to being a legend than all of the current squad bar McGregor and possibly Davis but he isn't quite there yet.

Began his career as an inside forward, with 7 goals in his first 11 games ;). I suppose that would probably be more akin to our modern day two number 10s!.
I know he started as an inside right very briefly, but the out and out forwards in that team were Millar, Brand and Wilson.

Spent 95% of his Rangers career in defensive positions.

The fact he ever got over 100 goals just shows how incredible he was. And definitely not a comparison to Morelos!

I very much doubt he's 10th fastest to 100 when it took him almost 200 games.

Someone will have the stats, no doubt. Maybe 10th fastest since WW2?

I think there's confusion over what is meant by "fastest". Is it time or number of games? We now play so many games in europe with 3 qualification rounds, then a mini league, then the drop down system into an inferior competition. Makes it hard to compare with years gone by when Rangers played just a handful of games.

Alfredo Morelos handed Rangers challenge as Brian Laudrup insists striker falls short of legendary status​

The Danish icon has had his say on the Ibrox striker who celebrated his landmark 100th goal against St Mirren.

Brian Laudrup insists Alfredo Morelos must increase his trophy haul to be considered alongside his fellow Rangers 100-club scorers.
The Light Blues legend praised the Colombian sharp-shooter for reaching his century milestone with the winner against St Mirren on Sunday.
But Laudrup wants to see the 25-year-old stick around at Ibrox and add to his solitary league title winners’ medal to be in the same bracket as legends such as Ally McCoist, Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd.
Neil McCann, on duty for the BBC in Paisley, accused Morelos of snubbing a club TV interview request to discuss his landmark goal on Sunday.
And, speaking to the Daily Mail, Laudrup said: “I know Alfredo Morelos may not be that comfortable with his English, but it would have been great if he had come out and spoken on Sunday afternoon.
"I’d have liked to hear him say that reaching 100 goals for Rangers was an excellent feat, but that he wanted to win more trophies. Because that’s what it is now about for Morelos. Make no mistake.

0_JS248741274.jpg

“The ‘but’, right now, relates to the fact that it his his only trophy. If he wants to elevate himself into another category of Rangers player then he needs to do what he can to get more prizes beside his name over the next season or two, that’s for sure.
“Look at some of the players who are beside him in the 100-goal club at Ibrox. Ally McCoist’s list of honours was just incredible and it’s perhaps unfair to compare him to anyone.

“But there are also players from the more modern era such as Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd, who had multiple trophies on their CVs by the time they left Rangers.
“At the end of the day, fair or unfair, you are judged by the titles you win when you play for one of the very top teams in a league.
“For Morelos, one trophy in four years isn’t yet good enough to put him alongside those players I just mentioned.

0_JS248744477.jpg

“That’s the big challenge ahead for the 25-year-old and it’s one I hope he really wants to take on to help Rangers as a team.”
But Laudrup paid tribute to Morelos who is now just six short of equalling Johnny Hubbard as the all-time top Gers overseas scorer.
The Dane said: “To be clear, I send my absolute congratulations to him for reaching the century mark. To score 100 times for any club in the world is a magnificent achievement. It takes real reserves of commitment and skill.
“By now, all of Morelos’ opponents know what kind of player he is. They have studied his movements.

“That makes it more difficult for any forward. Yet Morelos has kept going through fluctuating periods of form with a determination to get the better of defences. His scoring record is admirable.
“There is no doubt now that people will look back and remember him as a very prolific goalscorer, often in what were difficult times for my old club.
“He delivered when it mattered. He was very good both in Scotland and in Europe. He played an important part in winning that long-awaited 55th title last season.”

He doesn't fit the legend status "rules" I had growing up but modern football has had a massive effect on players longevity at a club. By modern standards he's a legend. I'm sure anyone under 30 would consider him a legend, and most over 30.

To cut a long story short. Yes.

Back