Is Morelos a Rangers legend?

Doesn't he do "Rangers legend 5 star events"?

We've also got Rangers Legends gin named after Craig Moore and De Boer etc.
That’s more down to them signed up to a company name that sells specific merchandise

If Morelos signed up to them tomorrow and brought a gin out, it’d sell

That’s more down to them signed up to a company name that sells specific merchandise

If Morelos signed up to them tomorrow and brought a gin out, it’d sell
I get there's money to be made but they shouldn't even be in the conversation when it's "Rangers Legends" specifically.

Depends how old you are.
Its only him 4 years, likely 3 if we discount sitting in the stands.
I'm in my 50's.

My great grand-daughter took this pic of me just yesterday.

03198defbf9905613bedbbdd2323228d.jpg

More pish.

I call it as I see it. I don’t excuse certain players poor performances because they’re favourite players of mine

Patterson was pish for 60-70 minutes at home to Hibs. Some will sugar coat it due to their dislike of our captain but it’s true. And I say that as someone that rates Patterson very highly.

I have praised Morelos many times. Not through gritted teeth as you somehow bizarrely claim although whatever makes you feel good about yourself batter in ….

If Morelos is mince, I’ll say so. If he’s good, I’ll say so.

The only argument started in this thread when your mate claimed Morelos done more for Rangers than Gazza.

TBF, we are into season 5 of Morelos now. We got 2 and a bit from Gazza.

Not in anyway comparing ability, but technically, Morelos has done more for us than Gazza did. He has played nearly 100 games more for a start, and his goals in Europe have brought in more money for the club than Gazza did.

I know you’re very much a Morelos fan that cannot accept any other differing views

But here’s a few reasons.

-he’s yet to perform well for a full season since joining us

-he’s only won 1 trophy in his time here

-he’s not a world class player or even a level below that level.
1/ Did Gazza perform for a full season?
2/ A very timmy narrative.
3/ Gazza was world-class, I agree with that.

For me Rangers legends need to have been at the club for lets say a minimum of 3 year, played at least 150 times and won plenty.
Thats the starting point.

Most eras have legends although since say 1980 , a third of that is a right of .
Recent times and half of the 80s was best forgot about.

TBF, we are into season 5 of Morelos now. We got 2 and a bit from Gazza.

Not in anyway comparing ability, but technically, Morelos has done more for us than Gazza did. He has played nearly 100 games more for a start, and his goals in Europe have brought in more money for the club than Gazza did.
Technically he hasn’t if you’re going by trophies. Also Gazza’s contribution to two league titles gained us access into the CL groups, no?

I’m not disputing Morelos hasn’t brought in money to the club with his goals. I just don’t agree Morelos has done more for Rangers than Gazza has when you consider Gazza was voted into our best 11 of all time, won two major league titles in which he bagged a hatrick in the league winning match, plus several cups.

I think you have to look at each Rangers team and see what circumstances each faced and how each individual Ranger contributed to that team.

What I find staggering in this thread is how past Rangers teams and players are perceived. At just about 40 years of age I think i have seen many of a different Rangers teams in my lifetime. As a small kid we were not very good and early memories were not the greatest but that quickly changed as we headed into the 90's and then onto the 00's and eventually we hit the very lowest point possible and then back to where we are now.

I have seen Rangers lift every single piece of silverware in this country, I wish I hadn't but that was put in front of us and we done it regardless. I have seen 4 trebles, a 9 in a row and seen us get to a European final. Some great Rangers teams in my time and some absolute legendary players.

Looking at Alfredo Morelos I would say his contribution to our growth in his time here, his goals, the way he plays for us and of course playing a huge part in winning probably the most important league title in our history and to cap it off our all time top European goalscorer.

Legend in my opinion.

He is in my book. I think he will be considered one in the years to come by most of the support. A few from the current squad will be. People are still very close to this crop of players, we are still guilty of over scrutinising them due to current performances and many won't be fully appreciated until they are gone from the club.

Comparisons to Gazza are strange. Gazza let the club down badly in his final year at the club, in truth, he let himself down badly. Gazza was a brilliant talent but he had flaws, just as Alfie does. History has been kind to Gazza. History is usually always kind to footballers when it comes to discussions such as these. Morelos wins a few trophies this season, does his Rangers career stack up better than Gazza's does? It would be a legitimate debate imo.

The term 'Legend" is used far too loosely these days. We've got guys like Negri, Marvin Andrews being classed as legends which isn't right IMO.
Anyone classing Negri as a legend has been injecting Absinthe in to their tongue.

And yes, Alfie is a legend. For a generation he will be their first ever hero.

The 55 squad are all legends.

Said it before whatever squad delivered it would forever be special, I certainly won’t forget any of them. We waited long enough for it.

So yes he is.

One way to look at it is will he have a lounge or a suite named after him in the stadium.Legends do

Does Ally McCoist? Walter Smith?

And as for the term legend, it's so subjective it's barely worth talking about.

He could absolutely become a legend, but he'd need to stay a lot longer. If he doubles his current stay and numbers (8 seasons, 200 goals, 50 goals in Europe, a lot more silverwear) then he's part of the conversation.

I'm not sure who our most recent legend even is. Jig perhaps has a shout. An important player at the club for eight full seasons. McGregor and Davis, too. Could also make strong arguments against them all. Not really worth fighting over.

Does Ally McCoist? Walter Smith?

And as for the term legend, it's so subjective it's barely worth talking about.

He could absolutely become a legend, but he'd need to stay a lot longer. If he doubles his current stay and numbers (8 seasons, 200 goals, 50 goals in Europe, a lot more silverwear) then he's part of the conversation.

I'm not sure who our most recent legend even is. Jig perhaps has a shout. An important player at the club for eight full seasons. McGregor and Davis, too. Could also make strong arguments against them all. Not really worth fighting over.

McCulloch? You must be joking. Surely it’s not dependent on length of stay, in which Laudrup and Gascoigne are out of the running

51, I think.

25 or 26 goals.

I wonder how many european games the likes of Forrest, Stein, DJ, McCoist, Gazza, Hately etc played in? Just so we can compare like with like.

Perhaps some statistical genius could list how many european games Rangers played year by year.

No. I love Alfie but it diminishes the word. Like people throwing about “genius” at the drop of a hat.

I wonder how many european games the likes of Forrest, Stein, DJ, McCoist, Gazza, Hately etc played in? Just so we can compare like with like.

Perhaps some statistical genius could list how many european games Rangers played year by year.
McCoist played 54 and scored 21, would be surprised if Hateley played a lot and I’d imagine Gazza is less than 15.

The other players, due to shorter European campaigns I don’t think they’d be near except DJ due to his longevity!.

It’s difficult to compare regardless, for a few reasons.

No harm looking though.

McCulloch? You must be joking. Surely it’s not dependent on length of stay, in which Laudrup and Gascoigne are out of the running

I take it Brandon Barker was part of the '55' squad? Apparently they are all legends. Makes you think.

McCoist played 54 and scored 21, would be surprised if Hateley played a lot and I’d imagine Gazza is less than 15.

The other players, due to shorter European campaigns I don’t think they’d be near except DJ due to his longevity!.

It’s difficult to compare regardless, for a few reasons.

No harm looking though.

That was my point. Its easier to become a top scorer in any competition if you play in it more often.

The same thing applies with intrernational appearances. Much easier to record loads of caps now that we play so many internationals. The hall of fame will soon be bursting at the seams.

No. Let us down too often. Has also scored a number of important goals, but not enough to redress the balance enough to be a “legend”.

He'll do for me.
Any Rangers player who puts up with the shit he does day in day out,and still performs to the level he does, still scores the important goals he does, and just as importantly gives not one fvck the way he does is a legend to me.

Haven't read all of the thread but did I read people comparing Gazza with Morelos?? Gazza was world class but not sure he is a Rangers legend either as he only spent a short time here.

Morelos is nowhere near a Rangers legend at the moment. If he stays another few years and bangs in 100+ more goals then he can be considered.

All about opinions tho.

No you only become a legend after you retire and you can reflect on the whole picture. Has a good chance mind.

A lack of trophies isn’t down to Alfredo Morelos. He was dragging us through the shit week in, week out, along with a host of other barriers in our way.

Nacho Novo and Lee McCulloch were inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame.

For me Alfredo Morelos is certainly up there with those two, Lee McCulloch especially.

He’s scored 100 goals in under 200 matches, is Rangers record goalscorer in Europe and will break more records should he spend a few more years in Glasgow.

Alfredo Morelos is certainly a legend in my household.

Absolutely yes!

I would love him to stay for another season (longer if I'm being greedy), so that he can go on a scoring steak now that he's broken the 100.

A good few more goals and some more medals would cement his status beyond any arguement.

IMO it really depends what you are defining as being a legend. He’s contributed massively to us, in Europe especially. His achievements as part of 55 will never be forgotten and I love him for what he’s done. But is he a true legend? I’m not so sure. I think that term should really be reserved for the likes of McCoist or Laudrup personally.

10th fastest player to reach 100 goals, top scorer in Europe, part of 55 and the team that stopped 'the' 9.66

Of course he is

10th fastest player to reach 100 goals, top scorer in Europe, part of 55 and the team that stopped 'the' 9.66

Of course he is
I very much doubt he's 10th fastest to 100 when it took him almost 200 games.

Someone will have the stats, no doubt. Maybe 10th fastest since WW2?

Rangers Legends: Bill Stuth, Sandy Jardine, John Greig, Walter Smith, Richard Gough, Ally McCoist.

List ends.

Possibly. Heard it mentioned on Clyde last night so just took it as fact, which was probably stupid of me.

IMO we have 3 legends in the team at the moment - McGregor, Davis and Morelos.

All three have been massive players for the club and deserve to be remembered in our history as legends.

I think if you score 100 goals for the club you are automatically a legend.

Add in the fact that he is our record European Goalscorer of all time, and it seems absurd to even ask the question.

You’re correct DH.

I can’t be bothered checking the records, but I imagine he was quicker than Scott, Bud, Hubbard, Parlane, Greig and I’m certain he was quicker than Miller.

You’re correct DH.

I can’t be bothered checking the records, but I imagine he was quicker than Scott, Bud, Hubbard, Parlane, Greig and I’m certain he was quicker than Miller.
Scott, Bud, Hubbard were wingers.
Parlane started his Rangers career as a wing half.
Greig was never a forward.

I'd bloody hope a centre forward would score faster!

Big fan of Alfie but it's a no from me.

Just can't put him in the same bracket as Jardine, Greig, McCoist, Laudrup, Gough etc.

Alfie is in the bracket below for me.

Back