Is our squad as good as we think it is?

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
Each season we are filled with eternal optimism. We think all the new signings are the next best thing and we think we are going to slay all before us.

Now, we’d all like a left back and maybe one other attacking option.

Are we really in as good a place as the vast majority think we are?

Personally I think we are. But I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to the bears. (Warburton may still see the error of his ways and Pena May turn it around :))

I'll wait and see the team play a bit more. Still only August - but signs are positive.

We will learn a bit more about them over the next two weeks as we have a massive four matches coming up - and whilst nothing is won or lost in August/September - they could shape our season.

Europa League stages, a win at St. Mirren followed by a win against the bheggars at Ibrox would be absolutely massive.

Still a few players I am unsure of over the course of a season and we really need a left back IMO.l but like I said above, it's still early days.

I think it is. They look to have gel'd well together. Katic has improved, our back line in general looks far more solid Jones looks promising, Aribo is a class act, Ojo can do some damage in Europe and domestically if he's up for it and the central midfield looks very strong. Add to that both Defoe and Morelos have started the season really well and look hungry.

We probably still don't know our first 11 yet but I think SG has a first 8 that he wants to be fit each week.

Still early doors but we have a good chance. Next few games will be the test we need.

Consistency was our enemy last year rather than a lack of quality. Towards the end of the season and the start of this season gives me hope that we have resolved this.

The early signs look good. If Jones, Ojo and Aribo can keep performing at the level they have been then great, if one or more drop off then do we have cover for them, who knows. Like others have said, i think we are a LB away and if Kent comes back even better

We are in with a chance as things stand no doubt but if we got a decent left back and Kent then our chances enhance greatly

Over the last few years we have had:

Warburton - had us playing a new style, got us up to Premiership, and we were (wrongly) optimistic especially after the semi final beating them.

Caixinha - came in and seemed more aggressive. Players looked more hungry, I thought. Not as tippy tappy, and not determined times for subs. But it was false.

Gerrard - Breath of fresh air last year. I mean, come on, it is Steven Gerrard! He got us into Euro group stage, we were high, but I don't think he anticipated the domestic game at all. Whether it be battering lumps out our players, 10 men behind ball, refs.

This year, we won't win every game, but already we have players shooting on-site, better midfield, better formation IMO, not relying on Morelos (whose temperament so far has changed completely) and can send out a second string team in gusts, gales, rain and keep our first team fresh.

I am always the eternal optimist.... but this year I do feel really confident, not just because it's Rangers but because I can see that things have improved, and there's quality in the new signings, and the whole thing just feels different this season.

If we can get Kent I'll be very happy, a left back would be a bonus.

We have to wait to the end of the season to assess how good these players are as winning trophies is the only thing that will show if we have better players than the rest.

Might be too early to say but compared to our domestic competitors (moon howling paedos included) I'd say we have an excellent squad. It's filled with proper professionals (no time wasters, players looking after themselves, great attitudes, no-one firing pictures of their bellend about greater Glasgow area) and we have quality (and depth) front to back. It'll be interesting to see how far we get in Europe this season as that will be the true test. I've no doubt we'll smash everyone domestically this season but also recognise there are a few banana skin games that could be our undoing but this is where the professionalism makes a difference this season. That and a fully fit Defoe and Davis.

I can’t get my head around the fact that Barisic hasn’t owned this position.When he played those games against us he was unstoppable ( maybe Tav gave him an easy ride at that time ).He looked hard fast and dangerous. It really puzzles me how now he seems too timid for the Scottish game. I really thought he would be a real asset to us and a constant threat bombing down the left flank and firing in killer crosses. WTF happened? Is there any way back for him? I think there is but it would take great mental strength on his part to come back from this. It has been done before eg Amo, Moore and even Hateley however they are in the minority.

Despite the left back issue, the lack of a third striker and the will he won’t he situation with Ryan Kent, I still have a nagging doubt that we lack a really dominant central midfielder.

Jack has started superbly, as has Davis and Aribo looks a real find so I should be very optimistic, and I am, but I dunno, there’s just this feeling I can’t quite shake.

We’ll know a lot more in the next couple of weeks.

I would have expected a higher level of recruitment, following on from last season. Out wide I don't think we are that strong, in terms of depth. How good the defence is will be found out in the next few matches, starting tomorrow, but we still lack creativity in attack.

For the first time in a long time I have went into the season full of hope. We have bought very wisely in this window so far and I am encouraged about the start we have. We are not giving much away and Defoe and Morelos are on fire. Aribo is a class act and Ryan Jack has drastically improved. I still think we are a left back, left winger and a centre forward away but hopefully Mr Gerrard has money to go and get these players. We are a far better squad than last year and are only going to get better

As much as it pains me to mention that mob, they are in turmoil just now. They have massively downsized and look to have squandered about £10m on duds. Let's be honest, Rodgers is an excellent coach and done really well there. Him leaving was massive for us, and their board just made it even sweeter when they gave the Lurgan Racist Bigot the gig

All these factors combined and I have every belief that we will be lifting #55 come next May

The next four games will give us a great idea, ask me at 2pm on Sep 1st. :))

This is 100% my thinking too

If we get 4 wins it sends a huge message but if results don’t go our way we could have a huge letdown

I’m hoping we win all 4 and keep winning

Tomorrow is huge but every game we play is a must win game

Most likely not, football fans tend to think a shit load more of their team than the reality, that's the nature of being a football fan and at this time of year its fucken boss - we are winning the Europa League this year, we get to think that just now - we are allowed to think

Guess the only answer to the question “is our squad as good as we think it is” can only be, at this stage of the season, “wait and see”. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and it is likely to be a few months before the pudding has been completely eaten.

I would have expected a higher level of recruitment, following on from last season. Out wide I don't think we are that strong, in terms of depth. How good the defence is will be found out in the next few matches, starting tomorrow, but we still lack creativity in attack.
Davis, Aribo, Ojo, Jones, and Morelos is surely plenty creativity and that’s not including Tav or subs?

Despite the left back issue, the lack of a third striker and the will he won’t he situation with Ryan Kent, I still have a nagging doubt that we lack a really dominant central midfielder.

Jack has started superbly, as has Davis and Aribo looks a real find so I should be very optimistic, and I am, but I dunno, there’s just this feeling I can’t quite shake.

We’ll know a lot more in the next couple of weeks.
I know what you mean but there’s not many Souness’s out there. I think with Jack , Davis and Kamara we have pretty good cover for that type of role ( Aribo being in a more a marauding attacking role) . Don’t really know yet what type of role King can play

The one thing you can say with certainty is that we have improved.

We definitely have added a few better players than last year, and the players that were already here have also improved. Davis and Defoe for example have been excellent and are benefiting from a pre season with the club.

The one thing you cannot measure is resiliance, and that winning mentality. Time will tell if we have that, but the signs so far are good.

I think we are but it can all change so quickly. If we get knocked out by Legia then don't beat them the mood will be a hell of a lot different.

Exactly.

Like most others, I’m feeling optimistic. The new guys (particularly Aribo and Ojo) look a step up on previous. I’m also quite excited to see how King looks when fully fit.

However, the next 2 weeks will give us a much better read on where we actually stand.

It's the strongest squad we've had since we dropped down. We've made an excellent start but so did hearts last year. It should be strong enough to allow us to be more consistent but if like to see us against more teams that park the bus before deciding if it is good enough. We had injuries to Murphy, Coulibaly and Dorrans last year, would we be good enough if we lost Tav, Davis and Morelos?

Personally I think it is but we will definitely know better by September.

In an ideal world we get Kent back and Barisic gets his finger out and becomes the left back we paid for, or has that ship sailed?

We need folk out the door before we sign anyone else.

The wage bill must be enormous - Grezda, Holt, Dorrans, Dodoo and Murphy need sold or loaned out.

I think we look strong - next few games are huge!
I don’t know why but the St Mirren game is giving me the fear!!

Ability and talent. Absolutely. Consistency seems to be improving. We need to see how they cope when questions are asked such as bouncing back from a defeat, or dropping points in a frustrating draw. To win the league we can't afford to wait 3-4 games to get going again after a bad result with sporadic wins draws and losses. We've got to come out winning games back to back.

Yes we are as good as we think we are, we have lost one match v Killie in about 20 games roughly since the tims match away,our form has continued since last season so its no fluke.

As usual though we are only ever one bad result away from a meltdown so i am still always on edge.

If we could just get through this tie and win the next 2 league matches i will be really really confident.

Davis, Aribo, Ojo, Jones, and Morelos is surely plenty creativity and that’s not including Tav or subs?
It's becoming obvious Ojo is going to be a good player, and Aribo; Davis, as always, doesn't need me to say how good he is. If Kent signs I'll be a lot happier. Gerrard likes players who can be trusted on the ball. I'm not sure all the signings so far have raised the squad in terms of quality, but maybe some players have a potential be get better.

Are we as good as we think. Guess that depends on how good you think we are?!

Personally reckon we are in a much better place than we were at the same time last season. Lots of big games to come but if we stick together I'm sure we can get through the majority with positive results.

That said, this place is always 45 mins from meltdown. Heaven forbid we draw a game in the next month. :eek:

Over the last few years we have had:

Warburton - had us playing a new style, got us up to Premiership, and we were (wrongly) optimistic especially after the semi final beating them.

Caixinha - came in and seemed more aggressive. Players looked more hungry, I thought. Not as tippy tappy, and not determined times for subs. But it was false.

Gerrard - Breath of fresh air last year. I mean, come on, it is Steven Gerrard! He got us into Euro group stage, we were high, but I don't think he anticipated the domestic game at all. Whether it be battering lumps out our players, 10 men behind ball, refs.

This year, we won't win every game, but already we have players shooting on-site, better midfield, better formation IMO, not relying on Morelos (whose temperament so far has changed completely) and can send out a second string team in gusts, gales, rain and keep our first team fresh.

Sorry mate but anyone that got excited about Pedro needed their head checked. I knew it was going to be failure.

Under warbs the first 10 games were superb and we played some fantastic football. The signs were good.

Under SG we do look a force and haven't saw anything that is of major concern since we have upgraded again. Sign Kent and a LB and we will be favourites to win the league.they are done and Lennon must be getting paid by King.

It's helped a lot having a more settled team so we've been able to add more quality and competition rather than having an overhaul and needing new players to settle in.

Aribo has come into the side and looked quality so that's been a real drive in the midfield. A settled defensive partnership has us fairly solid at the back.

With the added squad depth there is no reason we can't do well in all competitions. I think fatigue played a large part in how things panned out last season and we have the luxury of resting players with the quality throughout the squad. We're in a good place.

We need folk out the door before we sign anyone else.

The wage bill must be enormous - Grezda, Holt, Dorrans, Dodoo and Murphy need sold or loaned out.
That's my thoughts to. No pay offs either. If they want to sit in the reserves then that's up to them.

Each season we are filled with eternal optimism. We think all the new signings are the next best thing and we think we are going to slay all before us.

Now, we’d all like a left back and maybe one other attacking option.

Are we really in as good a place as the vast majority think we are?

Personally I think we are. But I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to the bears. (Warburton may still see the error of his ways and Pena May turn it around :))

I’m usually one for keeping my cards close to my chest. I don’t want to be too vocal in proclaiming how good we are. Proof will be in the puddin’ and all that.

Looking forward to us winning the Europa League this season though.

Back