Is our squad as good as we think it is?

I like the squad just now as it stands. But I would feel far more confident with a proper, fully-functioning left back who can play most games and is physical. I'd also like another decent option up front so we aren't in the position we were in last year come the League Cup semi final with Um*r Sad*q.

We won't get Barry Douglas from Leeds, I wouldn't be over the moon with Greg Taylor but we really need to address the left back spot.

Equally Eamonn Brophy isn't doing it for me but whoever it is will be third choice. But I'd prefer a really good third choice and I'm not sure Brophy is the quality we need.

Saying all of that - I never thought when we discussed Glen Kamara last year that he was anywhere near the quality we needed.

If we beat Legia over two games and get 6 points from St Mirren and the Tims then we are in a very good position for the season.

IMO - we have the best squad of players in the Scottish league.
When our squad are on good form, we can be unstoppable.
We have masses of depth and versatility in our squad - 4 fantastic options at CH, best RB in Scotland who is an irreplaceable threat going forward, a lot of quality available in midfield and Morelos and Defoe are on fire ATM.
Aribo is looking like he will be a key player for us going forward, Davis is fantastic, Ojo is looking like he will play a vital part in our attacking play and Jack (who I would have thought last season was at biggest risk of losing his place in the starting 11) has been outstanding so far this season.
For us, consistency will be absolutely key to how our season pans out. We have a great squad there, we just need the consistency and mental strength to keep getting the results.

If, and it’s a reachable target, we win the next four games we will be unstoppable IMO.
Yep. If we, and i will use the technical term here, were to 'come oot the traps flyin'' then i think that would start a momentum that would be hard to stop. Massive 4 games ahead of us.

I think we are stronger overall but as with any team i wouldn't want 6 or 7 players from out second tier of players to start an important game at the same time. 2, 3 even 4 we could get away with but wholesale changes would see a drop in quality.

There has been some, not many granted but a few gripes about 3 million on a CH when we were already strong in that area. That is what we need to be aiming for all over the park. Buying guys at that level who are willing to come and fight for a place rather than being guaranteed a start just because you cost 3 mill.

I actually think we could get there within a couple of seasons but we need a successful season to really kick start that off.

Title winning teams have that spine through the team

Goram, Gough, Brown, Ferguson, McCall, McCoist, Hately

We now have
Mcgregor, Goldson, Katic/Helander, Davis, Jack, Arfield, Morelos/Defoe

Edmundson, kamara, King will provide decent back up

Tav, Aribo, Ojo & Jones are all looking good going forward

The attitude of the players seems spot on too. I think most of us expected 2/3 big money buys which hasn't happened although that would have came with the risk of upsetting the balance of the team/morale (we'll see how Helander handles not going straight in), we are still going on about Kent if he does come Ojo or Jones move down the pecking order I'm not sure that's a good thing. We have also spoken about that third striker for what it's worth I would have went for Shankland, low cost, can score goals and would probably be a willing third choice for the season.

Hastie and Docherty, maybe even Dorrans may have to be called on.

With a bit of luck we can do it this season

I was never convinced by Warburton. I thought he was all style over substance and his way of playing was never going to work in Scottish football. Pedro was a mad gamble which from day one was doomed to failure. I don’t know how he got as much time as he did.

Gerrard is different. I’m going into this season expecting a title challenge rather than hoping for the first time since 2011.

There seems to have been an across the board increase in performance levels this season and a system which works regardless of personnel chosen.

You’re only ever 90 mins away from everything changing though

Yes we are as good as we think we are, we have lost one match v Killie in about 20 games roughly since the tims match away,our form has continued since last season so its no fluke.

As usual though we are only ever one bad result away from a meltdown so i am still always on edge.

If we could just get through this tie and win the next 2 league matches i will be really really confident.
I think the players brought in last season are showing more confidence as they look more settled,which in turn must be helping the players brought in this summer- that and squad depth has definitely improved.

You’ve hit the nail on the head- get through the Europa playoff tie,beat St Midden and the paedos and we’ll take some stopping.

Each season we are filled with eternal optimism. We think all the new signings are the next best thing and we think we are going to slay all before us.

Now, we’d all like a left back and maybe one other attacking option.

Are we really in as good a place as the vast majority think we are?

Personally I think we are. But I’m an eternal optimist when it comes to the bears. (Warburton may still see the error of his ways and Pena May turn it around :))

We have solid options from GK, CB, RB, CM and CF we have plenty of wide options. We do need to make a call on Barisic, play him or sell him and buy a replacement. LB is the weakest part of the Team.

On paper we look stronger of that there's no doubt,however this is just the start of the season and there are so many tests that this team have to go through before we can say they are the real deal.Let us see where we are at the winter break before we get too excited.

In goals, and in midfield yes, wide yes, up front and full back no.

Exactly this.

I would say we are miles short in both FB areas. A lengthy injury to Tav and we would be in trouble. We absolutely need another competent striker in there as well. Easier said than done but when Alfie went down against the Danes lets be honest, we all shat ourselves.

the next 4 games , we have a chance to make a statement, put wind in our sails and put them under pressure/panic.
We'll find out how good we are

Despite the left back issue, the lack of a third striker and the will he won’t he situation with Ryan Kent, I still have a nagging doubt that we lack a really dominant central midfielder.

Jack has started superbly, as has Davis and Aribo looks a real find so I should be very optimistic, and I am, but I dunno, there’s just this feeling I can’t quite shake.

We’ll know a lot more in the next couple of weeks.

I think you've answered your own doubts....and Arfield can be put in that bracket too....

We definitely have the quality and that mob are in disarray. My only slight concern would be if their absentee landlord intervenes (as he did to appoint Rodgers) and Lennon gets the boot at the piggery to be replaced by a proper manager.

If I was to be Uber Critical I've two concerns:
1. Link between midfield and defence - I just want more determined cover there from the midfield
2. Drop in Tempo due to overplaying the ball sideways

I'm not a positive guy anyway! :)

Back