Is Rodgers the reason we're so negative with names linked?

Dick Donner

Hearing a lot of fellow Rangers fans complaining that Celtic pushed the boat out and got a quality premier league level manager and that we're seriously linked with names like, Derek Mcinnes, Alan Pardew, Steve McClaren, David Moyes etc.

Suppose it's debatable but, could a case be made for Pardew, McClaren and Moyes having a better reputation in England than Rodgers?

Not saying they haven't got baggage, but that comes with any appointment.

Take out that one freak season for Luis Suarez Liverpool, and in Rodgers you have a relegation level Premier League manager.

Alan Pardew on the other hand is a relegation to mid table level Premier League manager.

Steve McClaren recently a Championship to Premier League relegation level manager.

David Moyes also like Pardew, a mid table to relegation level Premier League manager.

Think it'll still be Mcinnes but to suggest Rodgers is on a different level to these managers is completely false.

Rodgers was sacked by Reading.

Somehow he has them breaking records domestically, you could hire Guardiola for us and not guarantee that, its strange.

"Celtic pushed the boat out and got a quality premier league level manager". They got a manager that no Premier League club would take a chance on. He was a year out of a job, with no offers. I'm not saying he is a bad manager, just not as good as he is being made out.

He isn't the messiah that the Scottish media would have you believe. He looks alot better as Deilia and to a lesser extent, Lennon were poor managers who underachieved whilst we were out of the league.

Has Rodgers won a single game that they haven't been favourites to win?

He’s certainly not a cut above the three you mention for me.

Only as good as your last job seems to be the way most look at football management.

Hearing a lot of fellow Rangers fans complaining that Celtic pushed the boat out and got a quality premier league level manager and that we're seriously linked with names like, Derek Mcinnes, Alan Pardew, Steve McClaren, David Moyes etc.

Suppose it's debatable but, could a case be made for Pardew, McClaren and Moyes having a better reputation in England than Rodgers?

Not saying they haven't got baggage, but that comes with any appointment.

Take out that one freak season for Luis Suarez Liverpool, and in Rodgers you have a relegation level Premier League manager.

Alan Pardew on the other hand is a relegation to mid table level Premier League manager.

Steve McClaren recently a Championship to Premier League relegation level manager.

David Moyes also like Pardew, a mid table to relegation level Premier League manager.

Think it'll still be Mcinnes but to suggest Rodgers is on a different level to these managers is completely false.

They're falling to bits.

Think the 3 mentioned are made into joke figures basically due to circumstance.

Moyes had to follow the greatest manager of the modern era who chose him personally. Couldn't be under more pressure than that. The best would likely crumble given the situation.

McClaren made a major f### up of the national team job but had he not taken that job, I'd say he'd be about a Tony Pulis, Mark Hughes level manager just now.

As for Pardew, I haven't really noticed why he's criticized so often. Did a great job quite recently with Newcastle and took Palace to a Cup Final.

Yes, of course.

We can look across the city and see what bang average players with a sprinkle of quality and a very good coach can do...they beat us last time with 9 players who used to play for Delia.

That is what we need....not new ideas from left-field. We need to encourage, coach, improve, and pump full of belief.

There does not appear to be any real outstanding managers available to get excited about.

To be fair to Rodgers, he did very well with Swansea. I’m sure he got them promoted and then gave them a very respectable, mid-table (ish) finish. However, the fact that he was out of work for a year says something, there must be more to it than what I know.

I also think it will be McInnes, and to be honest I don’t see what Steve McClaren or Alan Pardew have over him. Pardew’s fifth place finish with Newcastle was as much about a wonderseason from Cisse and Ba as Rodgers with his second place finish with Suarez. Moyes’ record with Everton was solid, but his last three jobs have been absolute letdowns and he looks like an outdated manager, lost of direction, style and motivation.

It's also about having the right team that have gelled together and know each other on the pitch. having that experience aswell. look at the difference last Saturday with just having miller back in the squad. knows how to make a run and when. hits the target good enough for me. but obviously a quality manager goes without saying.

Yes, of course.

We can look across the city and see what bang average players with a sprinkle of quality and a very good coach can do...they beat us last time with 9 players who used to play for Delia.

That is what we need....not new ideas from left-field. We need to encourage, coach, improve, and pump full of belief.

Completely agree. Pedro was backed significantly and there is a "sprinkle of quality" in our squad for a decent coach to get the best out of.

It's guaranteed the next manager will be backed more so than even Pedro was next summer, so IMHO we aren't far off getting a player of Scott Sinclair's quality for a reasonable outlay if we play our cards right and are quite lucky.

To be fair to Rodgers, he did very well with Swansea. I’m sure he got them promoted and then gave them a very respectable, mid-table (ish) finish. However, the fact that he was out of work for a year says something, there must be more to it than what I know.

I also think it will be McInnes, and to be honest I don’t see what Steve McClaren or Alan Pardew have over him. Pardew’s fifth place finish with Newcastle was as much about a wonderseason from Cisse and Ba as Rodgers with his second place finish with Suarez. Moyes’ record with Everton was solid, but his last three jobs have been absolute letdowns and he looks like an outdated manager, lost of direction, style and motivation.

Pardew's problem was the Fat Man started selling all their good players and not giving Pardew any money to replace them. The team that finished 5th was all of Pardew and Graham Carr's creating. They plundered the French Market superbly and that was a cracking Newcastle team.

Would rather be more positive about David Moyes.

Was at the end of High School at the time Ferguson was looking to retire and some mates were big time Man U supporters.

To a man each one thought it reasonable that Moyes would get the job and not many were calling for a bigger name.

Was impossible to follow Sir Alex and Sunderland were going that way for years.

Can't just erase what he did at Everton because of what went on at Utd and Sunderland.

Yes Rodgers was bagged from Liverpool but he was still deemed good enough to be offered the job in the first place and that was due to his having taken an unfancied Swansea to promotion and into the Premier League, and then playing some very decent football when they got there.

The likes of a McInnes is persona non-grata down south and can only dream of being offered a job of that magnitude down there.

McInnes is two years older than Rodgers and hasn't come close to achieving anything remotely comparable. Nor has he shown anything to indicate he ever will.

Yes Rodgers was bagged from Liverpool but he was still deemed good enough to be offered the job in the first place and that was due to his having taken an unfancied Swansea to promotion and into the Premier League, and then playing some very decent football when they got there.

The likes of a McInnes is persona non-grata down south and can only dream of being offered a job of that magnitude down there.

McInnes is two years older than Rodgers and hasn't come close to achieving anything remotely comparable. Nor has he shown anything to indicate he ever will.

Agree completely. McInnes will guarantee us second place, of that I am in no doubt. But in my opinion, even with the larger budget and the state of the art training facilities he is not the man who will topple Celtic and the narcissist.

If Brendan Rodgers wasn’t available then they would have ended up with a Moyes or McKay.

Umpteen Premiership jobs were and have been available and no one wanted Rodgers.

We are only about 18 months in to Brenda’s reign and everything has gone his way domestically. Outside of Scotland they are touch above Anderlecht. There are multiple games they could have lost and didn’t. Unfortunately for us we have shown very little fight against them and nothing has gelled in almost 18 months.

There is no one we could point to and say they 100% would be successful. Various great managers have failed at various great clubs. Other than McInnes’ inability to mount a very serious challenge to Celtic while at Aberdeen what other proof is there he would fail to do so at Rangers? Not a lot and no manager can guarantee us success, which would be defined as a league title. In McInnes’ favour I’d say what he has going is he is in the ascendency in his career. Moyes, Pardew and the like have pretty much had their day and have won nothing of note in their careers. If they won the league they’d be off at the first EPL offer. McInnes you would say certainly should have a Scottish cup or serious league campaign in him for Aberdeen. At Rangers, who knows what he might achieve?

Rogers has nothing to do with my lack of enthusiasm for potential managers. They will either work out or not. Rogers is king of a very bad bunch. Having watched a few CL games over the last few days the standard of the game in Scotland is woeful and if they want to celebrate a 2-1 defeat to a third string struggling Bayern then all the better for us. I can’t wait for the positives from the PSG away match.

Its more the financial advantage they have that concerns
We operate on a different level

While we were in the lower leagues they banked millions while having a cheap option manager
They still could 'win' titles without that much effort.

Now we are back they spent a few quid and can do so for a while yet.

So whoever we get has that mountain to climb.

We need to build a strong competitive team with a good core of locals, beat everyone else and take the 4 games v them as our cup finals.

It CAN be done and McInnes has built a team capable of beating everyone bar them on a shoe string.
So lets see what he can do with a little cash to spend.

Everybody needs a bit of luck in life.
One last minute goal win can change a managers luck either way.I think Rodgers is a good manager but not to be potrayed as some sort of god the way the scottish mhedia have,this in itself also gives him a boost.Once you get that luck you can start off on a good run.The tide will turn, lets hope our manager gets that kick off.

I can only speak for myself, but I knew Rodgers would improve the filthy mob. My biggest concern is that ,relatively speaking, he hasn't had to spend much to do so.
Until the OP asked the question I hadn't really considered Brenda as being a contributor to my indifferent attitude to most names being bandied about, however I am probably looking at these candidates and asking myself "can he improve the current players?" and "can he outsmart Brenda?".
I have no idea who is available, affordable and interested in taking the task on, but we can't afford to get it wrong again.

"Celtic pushed the boat out and got a quality premier league level manager". They got a manager that no Premier League club would take a chance on. He was a year out of a job, with no offers. I'm not saying he is a bad manager, just not as good as he is being made out.
Nothing wrong with being hugely biased towards Rangers but there are limits with that when discussing this.
Genuine question how many domestic matches has Rodgers lost?
Those bassas are way ahead of us financially so that will put managers off.
Coming second in Scotland is simply not good enough but the manager will need around £25 million to challenge them.
He’ll probably be offered £3 million

It is quite disturbing the number of Rangers fans who have elevated Rodgers into a God like character who is up there with footballing geniuses.
We are six point behind despite red cards costing us and the Pedro disaster.
Let that sink in SIX points.
A decent tactician and man manager and we would be neck and neck at worst.

There is a real tendancy to drag our standards into the gutter on here at times - it creates negativity

It was seen by some as negative when it was pointed out Pedro was crap, hysterical even - wrongly

We are now at the same stage with the rumoured McIness

These guys create a split because they are clearly not good enough

A decent name will create a united support and remove a lot of the mental rhetoric.

Brenda couldnt get a gig in the premiership before celtic and would probably still struggle to get a top team just now with his stock as high as ever if some are to believed.

I also dont think it will cost the 20-30 millions quoted to mount a challenge,,we dont need to beat celtic 4 times a season,,just make sure we beat everyone else and get a decent run put together.
Celtic should be an irrelevance to what Rangers do anyway,,what happens when the tranny lover upsticks and leaves,will celtic go for another "premier league level" manager on 50 grand a week?

It may take time but Del could be a very successfull Rangers manger regardless who is in charge of the bheggars imo

Celtic's getting a 'marquee' manager has no doubt worked.

Let's not kid ourselves, he was a bit of luck away from winning the EPL. It was a great appointment for them. He inherited a mess and has pretty much turned around a shambolic Deila squad.

So yes, I think the strategy of going for a top marquee manager is the right approach. Pardew, McClaren and Moyes aren't at that level.

Why aren't we linked with Eddie Howe? 2 years ago the buzz around him was amazing. Best young manager in English football. He's established Bournemouth in the EPL.

Would he come?

I checked and it appears he's only on around 750k a year. We should test his resolve, offer a proper wage - 2m a year for example. (We can pay money like this on random Mexicans so the money is there). Add a bonus for league wins and European success and it should be tempting financially.

He may need supported for player wages/fees and that's a different point. It's surely worth giving it a go however?

He's been overlooked for roles like Everton etc - he's arguably done all he can do at Bournemouth. He's shown he's a massive success on a limited budget and plays good football. He's possibly the 'marquee' we need to take us up to the next level.

Rodgers had Swansea playing really well before he went to the Liverpool but Swansea are a club with modest expectations. That's the key to Rangers next appointment, can they handle the expectations of the club and fans ?

Would rather be more positive about David Moyes.

Was at the end of High School at the time Ferguson was looking to retire and some mates were big time Man U supporters.

To a man each one thought it reasonable that Moyes would get the job and not many were calling for a bigger name.

Was impossible to follow Sir Alex and Sunderland were going that way for years.

Can't just erase what he did at Everton because of what went on at Utd and Sunderland.
True,but he looks like he'll fold like a deckchair with the pressure he'd be under up here.The stress would kill him.

True,but he looks like he'll fold like a deckchair with the pressure he'd be under up here.The stress would kill him.

Left out Real Sociedad, takes a lot to even notice English premier league games now, forgot his stint in Spain. Couldn't care less about any team including the national team. It's only Rangers for me.

Would agree with the Stressful part to an extent. On top of the fact he'd be the first ex Celtic player to manage us. Might be a bit much. He may find it a little easier to cope though given he's closer to home than he was at Utd, Real Sociedad, or Sunderland.

Celtic's getting a 'marquee' manager has no doubt worked.

Let's not kid ourselves, he was a bit of luck away from winning the EPL. It was a great appointment for them. He inherited a mess and has pretty much turned around a shambolic Deila squad.

So yes, I think the strategy of going for a top marquee manager is the right approach. Pardew, McClaren and Moyes aren't at that level.

Why aren't we linked with Eddie Howe? 2 years ago the buzz around him was amazing. Best young manager in English football. He's established Bournemouth in the EPL.

Would he come?

I checked and it appears he's only on around 750k a year. We should test his resolve, offer a proper wage - 2m a year for example. (We can pay money like this on random Mexicans so the money is there). Add a bonus for league wins and European success and it should be tempting financially.

He may need supported for player wages/fees and that's a different point. It's surely worth giving it a go however?

He's been overlooked for roles like Everton etc - he's arguably done all he can do at Bournemouth. He's shown he's a massive success on a limited budget and plays good football. He's possibly the 'marquee' we need to take us up to the next level.

Worth remembering that Rodgers was, as David Edgar said on the pod, a joke figure when he arrived at Celtic. It's not as if Celtic prized him away from Liverpool. He almost won the league and then went downhill at an alarming rate leaving them in midtable when he was sacked. Most of the Suarez money went on absolute shit except for Lallana and Can.

I admit with Eddie Howe I just don't see it with him. No denying he did a great job at Bournemouth but given he was homesick in Burnley I'd imagine anything north of the Watford gap would be like a foreign country to him. His record in the transfer market is questionable to say the least and seems to come from the Warburton school of "not to worry chaps, there's always next week. We'll jolly well get them back next time"

We'd be 1-0 down at Pittodrie, playing shit and he looks the sort who'd burst into tears about how "unfair it all is old sport..."

One thing that ive been watching with rogers on the side that seems to go unnoticed everywhere including on here is his recruitment is absolutely god awful.

Sinclair & Dembele (My Mum could have picked them out) aside hes spent a fortune on absolute dross.

Theres a list somewhere of his Liverpool signings they are as bad in the main.

One thing that ive been watching with rogers on the side that seems to go unnoticed everywhere including on here is his recruitment is absolutely god awful.

Sinclair & Dembele (My Mum could have picked them out) aside hes spent a fortune on absolute dross.

Theres a list somewhere of his Liverpool signings they are as bad in the main.
Is your mum available for the Rangers job?
If she picked out Dembele before Rodgers signed him then she is just wasted making you beans on toast and washing your socks.

Somehow he has them breaking records domestically, you could hire Guardiola for us and not guarantee that, its strange.

There are exceptions to this (e.g. Scott McDonald) but in general:
  • Bheast fan footballers will always bust a gut against Rangers
  • Rangers fan footballers will always bust a gut against Rangers - good honest work ethic trying to prove themselves against their heroes
  • Bheast fan footballers are often not quite up for it against their favourite team
  • Sheep, Scumdee Utd, Hibs, St Midden (and arguably Hearts and Motherwell now are the same) - all more likely to raise their game against Rangers but less so against the bheasts
For what it's worth I think most other teams generally seem to put in an honest performance against both Rangera and the bheasts. E.g. Partick and Hamilton when they are at home are often tight scorelines against either.

He isn't the messiah that the Scottish media would have you believe. He looks alot better as Deilia and to a lesser extent, Lennon were poor managers who underachieved whilst we were out of the league.

Has Rodgers won a single game that they haven't been favourites to win?
They weren't favourites to beat Anderlecht.

Rodgers has never been really tested up here inherited a superior squad to ours,financially far superior budget to ours,spl teams happy to kick muck of each other (especially Glasgow Rangers)leaving weakened sides through injuries and suspensions,all getting a hard on playing and accepting 2nd place,refs who are inept and not fit for purpose,can not wait till we get things right!
Brenda great manager?not in my opinion.

If we go for McInness he has basically the same track record in England as Rhodgers. They both failed. Rhodgers is doing well in Scotland because he has a bigger budget to waste on players. Also he has never been tested domestically but just look what happens when they play some team with a couple of quality players in it.

He is one creepy fcuker, he has had it easy with absolutely no challenge.

If I had to hazard a guess as to "why we are so negative" it's simply that we are not rancid bigots.
The mentally challengeds all get behind a good catholic from "the north of Ireland"...

We on the other hand all have a different idea of what will make a good manager.
Allardyce, strong British spirit?
McInnes, a good Rangers man doing well locally?
Prud'homme, tactically aware, perceived modern football philosophy?

We all have different opinions.

Our rivals on the other hand, think the same, vote the same, walk the same, talk the same.
It's the cult mentality v a free thinking one.

Because he has the best group of players, most of whom are internationals.

He’s not this coaching genius that they think he is. Wait till pressure is applied, he will out Wibble that lady's front bottom O’Neill, I’d put my mortgage on it.

This for me, Rogers was not that good down south but up here he looks good cause of the money he has to spend

Worth remembering that Rodgers was, as David Edgar said on the pod, a joke figure when he arrived at Celtic. It's not as if Celtic prized him away from Liverpool. He almost won the league and then went downhill at an alarming rate leaving them in midtable when he was sacked. Most of the Suarez money went on absolute shit except for Lallana and Can.

I admit with Eddie Howe I just don't see it with him. No denying he did a great job at Bournemouth but given he was homesick in Burnley I'd imagine anything north of the Watford gap would be like a foreign country to him. His record in the transfer market is questionable to say the least and seems to come from the Warburton school of "not to worry chaps, there's always next week. We'll jolly well get them back next time"

We'd be 1-0 down at Pittodrie, playing shit and he looks the sort who'd burst into tears about how "unfair it all is old sport..."

Fair enough Dunc, I forgot about the homesick episode with Burnley . Although I rate him more than you do, we can't afford to once again take a risk with a manager who may only semi-relocate to Glasgow. A short term approach from the beginning never works out.

He has also spent how much on his players £££££££ that dont play much so he is not that good, no competition helps him.

Back