Is Ryan Kent good enough for England right now?

If he is better than a waster like deli alli, which he is! then why would he not be considered? He would give England kick up the arse and actually show them that you don't have to play in the Premiership to be good at football.

He isn't better than Deli Alli.

And I fucking love Ryan Kent BTW.

He isn't better than Deli Alli.

And I fucking love Ryan Kent BTW.

I know Alli has been on the slide the last 2 or 3 years. But this is a guy that was one of the better players in the EPL over a full season a few years back, and was genuinely one of the best players under 20 in the world.

And all of a sudden, ex Championship player Ryan Kent is suddenly better than him. What the hell have some people been smoking on this site?!

Did you think Alan Thompson was good enough for England when he was doing well for them?

Because they did, he wasn't and apparently his one performance was pretty funny.

And that's as a big fan of Kent. I'm sure he'll go on to the Premier League and if he continues to progress as he has with us, he could one day be good enough but I'd say it's a bit too soon now.
I can remember all the "Thompson for England" clamour dying overnight!

Hudson-Odoi is far more talented than Ryan Kent, and I'm not discrediting Kent at all. But in regards to natural ability, CHO is head and shoulders better. There's a reason why Bayern wanted him. Can you imagine them for a second them wanting to sign Kent right now?

Hudson-Odoi just needs to leave Chelsea and start playing every week. A club like Everton or even Leeds would be great for him. Kent is doing great for us and he's already a good player. But he has a long, long way to go before ever being considered for England or any top 12 EPL side.
I watch Chelsea a lot. CHO flatters to deceive at times and gets caught in possession and takes wrong option way too often.

He is obviously worth more than Kent but Kent is up against lesser players most of the time but just now he's shown me more than CHO.

There is not a hope in hell he would get called up while playing in Scotland.

Talent wise, if he keeps playing and progressing the way he has, he'll get a big money move to England and absolutely has the talent to become an England international.

I watch Chelsea a lot. CHO flatters to deceive at times and gets caught in possession and takes wrong option way too often.

He is obviously worth more than Kent but Kent is up against lesser players most of the time but just now he's shown me more than CHO.

I won't disagree. Hudson-Odi's last 12 months or so have been poor, but the talent is still there. But I'm sure he will still go on to have a better career than Kent in regards to who he plays for and how many caps he wins for England. He just has more ability, as simple as that. But yeah, right now Kent is definitely doing more than Hudson-Odoi as he's starting games.

Well he would get into that. But my original point remains that although he's a good player and is doing very well for us, he's nowhere near England or Premier League level yet, at least for any decent club. I go back to the fact that he was rather ordinary in the Championship when playing for the likes of Barnsley and Coventry. Yes, he's improved since then, but he's still miles away,
So he’s nowhere near as good as Stuart Armstrong? Nowhere near?

Well he would get into that. But my original point remains that although he's a good player and is doing very well for us, he's nowhere near England or Premier League level yet, at least for any decent club. I go back to the fact that he was rather ordinary in the Championship when playing for the likes of Barnsley and Coventry. Yes, he's improved since then, but he's still miles away,
Kent never played for Coventry in the Championship.

Kent never played for Coventry in the Championship.

So League One then. But my point stands. He was a decent player at lower league level in England but nothing more.

I think he'll become a Premier League standard player, though hopefully after some good service with us. But England? Not happening.

So League One then. But my point stands. He was a decent player at lower league level in England but nothing more.

I think he'll become a Premier League standard player, though hopefully after some good service with us. But England? Not happening.
Yes, I don’t think he will play for England either. Part of the pedantic RSC though so couldn’t let that slip mate

So he’s nowhere near as good as Stuart Armstrong? Nowhere near?

At this moment in time I think Armstrong is better, despite his obvious links. He generally does pretty well for Southampton in the EPL. He's been pretty gash for Scotland, sure, but so has Andrew Robinson if we're honest.

Kent might become a better player than Armstrong, there's not a lot in it. But Armstrong wouldn't get near to the England squad either if he was English.

And yet some of the people on this thread are the first to moan when we undervalue our players when selling them.

He probably isn't at that level right now but there's a fair number of guys who are absolutely ordinary in that squad. It's not the England squad our manager played in that's for sure.

Don't forget, if Rangers played in the EPL right now, we would more than hold our own.

And yet some of the people on this thread are the first to moan when we undervalue our players when selling them.

He probably isn't at that level right now but there's a fair number of guys who are absolutely ordinary in that squad. It's not the England squad our manager played in that's for sure.

Don't forget, if Rangers played in the EPL right now, we would more than hold our own.

We wouldn’t. It’s a far higher standard of football.

Of course he is. He’s fast, two footed and technically very good. He would also be playing with better players who would bring out the best in him. Look at how he won that penalty the other night; superb timing of his run and a perfect first touch. This boy’s very good and will only get better.

After a year playing in the EPL they could maybe have a look as he is a very talented player. However, he has no chance whilst up here and, even if he did get a call up, he is competing against players in that position who are the real deal.

Who was the last player with us to get an England cap?
Gazza/Butcher?

Gazza just before the 98 world cup. Scottish football was far better then plus Gazza had already established himself as an England international way before he signed for us.

A lot of our supporters with a very low opinion of our players. If there were a number of injuries and withdrawals before an international and Kent was bang in form you just never know. It’s unlikely, but not completely out of the question. Southgate does like to play youngsters after all.

fKtfXoS.gif

Reactions: VGM
A lot of our supporters with a very low opinion of our players. If there were a number of injuries and withdrawals before an international and Kent was bang in form you just never know. It’s unlikely, but not completely out of the question. Southgate does like to play youngsters after all.

Or maybe most people are just a little more realistic than others. England aren't exactly short of choice for wide players. He's nowhere near.

Kent is a good player, he can become very good, and there have definitely been worse players to win a cap for England. The likes of Michael Ricketts and Dave Nugent spring to mind. But other than at full-back, those two wide positions to either side of Harry Kane are England's strongest position. They are absolutely stacked for wide players. If the likes of Grealish and Maddison aren't getting a kick for England when they aren't injury hit, then neither is Ryan Kent ffs.

No.

Has definitely matured as a player this season, far more confident and assured, a "must keep fit" player if we are to win the title.

However England have a number of top quality players in Ryan's position, add in the massive handicap of playing in Scotland and it is hard to imagine Southgate even giving Ryan a fleeting thought. Just wish McAllister did not mention England as it will be something our haters will throw back in our faces, because call up will not happen whilst Kent plays in our backwater league.

Hold my hands up, he is turning into a better player than I originally thought, quick, genuinely two footed, good crosser. Just keep improving and the big money move back South will come along with possible England recognition.

Just stay for 55 then leave for big bucks with our blessing.

Last edited:
makes you wonder why that fud Alan Thompson got a chance while playing in Scotland, must’ve been struggling.

That worked out well for him if I remember.
O'Neill, was shouting from the rooftops, for months that he should be given an England cap. He gets his chance, and lasts a full 45 mins, before being subbed.

Since then I always called him "Hauf a Cap."

We wouldn’t. It’s a far higher standard of football.

Of course we would hold our own in the EPL. Unless you think utter dross like Aston Villa, Burnley and Brighton would regularly cope with teams like Porto and Feyenoord.

Even without the mega money that would come our way, we would be comfortable in that division.

It's got a handful of top level teams, then a few more good teams and then it's pretty much filled with bang average sides.

Of course we would hold our own in the EPL. Unless you think utter dross like Aston Villa, Burnley and Brighton would regularly cope with teams like Porto and Feyenoord.

Even without the mega money that would come our way, we would be comfortable in that division.

It's got a handful of top level teams, then a few more good teams and then it's pretty much filled with bang average sides.

It’s not. You’re talking shit.

It’s not. You’re talking shit.

Based on? The outstanding euro exploits of Burnley last few seasons? And that's a team qualifying for Europe never mind the 13 teams below them in the league.

Just to get this right, you don't think Rangers would beat and finish above a West Brom, Fulham, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle level of team?

Wow. These teams are horseshit mate.

I think it's best we leave this one here.

Based on? The outstanding euro exploits of Burnley last few seasons? And that's a team qualifying for Europe never mind the 13 teams below them in the league.

Just to get this right, you don't think Rangers would beat and finish above a West Brom, Fulham, Villa, Brighton, Newcastle level of team?

Wow. These teams are horseshit mate.

I think it's best we leave this one here.

Yes - you are right. Budgets dictate football and we are a good bit behind even the championship in financial terms. Added to this - the teams we play in the spl are dreadful.

Back