Is saying” a win is a win” really acceptable?

Another nervy indifferent game where let’s face it, we were poor. It seems we play more of these games lately than really good performances. We should hammer these Diddy teams. We have much better players at every position yet we struggle. Ahhh %^*& it, a win is a win. Lol
Aye. We are missing key players. Feels like people expect us to be superb every week. The best teams in the world scrape games during a season. People posting concerns about a game we've won kinda baffles me. No offence intended OP

I don’t think we were that bad tonight.

I don’t remember them having a real chance and if we had a Jermaine Defoe sniffing around the penalty box we would have won 3 or 4 nil. I lost count the number of times the ball went across their 6 yard box and we didn’t have a striker there to put it away.
Said before that man should be brought back up here for the next 4 months especially with the 5 sub rule.

Tonight I'm just delighted with the 3 points. We were missing key players and Livingston were always going to sit in and make it difficult

Another nervy indifferent game where let’s face it, we were poor. It seems we play more of these games lately than really good performances. We should hammer these Diddy teams. We have much better players at every position yet we struggle. Ahhh %^*& it, a win is a win. Lol
Yes a win is a win when we have as many players out for various reasons. Why wouldn’t saying that be acceptable when it’ll win us the league if we say it after every game?

The obvious answer to OP is yes, if we rack up enough to win the league we'll all be singing and dancing in May regardless of how it was won.

Tonight, against an opponent who play in a manner which makes it difficult to create clear chances, and missing our most creative players we got the job done, but only just.

I sense the niggle with some and I'll confess to being amongst them, is that unless we up our game we will not "get the job done" on some occasions which could ultimately cost us and cause meltdown here.

With hopefully a near full squad soon and still 4 points ahead, the time to raise our game is now, not after dropping avoidable points.

The answer to your headline is “Yes”.
You get nothing for artistic impression in this game.

All about the context. Perfect conditions and all our best payers available then it's about the performance as well.

Tonight? No Kent, Aribo, Morelos, Davis, Hagi, Helander and Jack, Roofe and Arfield only fit enough for the bench, you get the win any way you can.
There is nothing guaranteed.
Nothing will ever guarantee a great performance whilst the other team are doing nothing but spoil.
It’s a lot easier to destroy than create in football.

This season we’ve put in more poor performances than good performances

It’s worrying.

Folk will point to the league table but we won’t continue to win games every week playing the way we are
Folk will point to the League Table, for obvious reasons.
Our Last 11 League Games have brought us 10 wins and 1 draw, 31 out of 33 Points.
Our closest rivals have done well too with, 9 wins and 2 draws, in their last 11.
After the first 11 Games we were 2 points ahead of them.
After 22 games, we have widened that Gap to 4 points.
All that whilst we have "put in more poor performances than good performances"!

We Got the 3 points tonight, that was far more important than being pretty.
We wont play every week like that.
Our Starting 11 tonight was missing 10 Players.
6 of whom would have all started, and any one of the other 4 would have improved our starting 11 tonight.
We took 3 points with half a team, against a team that often make it difficult for us, and were in confident form.

Cheer Up!

Last edited:
I didn’t think we were that bad tonight for the most part. We created plenty, and if we had a proper striker they would have had three or four goals.

I got to agree with you, I thought first half we were just about ok but I thought we played well in the second half and in terrible conditions.

Let’s spin this the other direction….ahem.

We played brilliant tonight. 80% possession, 23 shots, 15 on target, 18 corners, keeper pulling off save after save after save.
We just couldn’t put the ball in the net. The pitch and weather conditions were near perfect but we dropped points at home in the most critical of seasons…

But we win 1-0, bag three points and it’s off to the next match we go…

Not everything is pretty in life. And I’m glad of the victory tonight…well done Rangers.

Of course it is when you consider how many first team starters we had out.

A ‘wins a win’ mentality is very short sighted and in contrast to what some say - doesn’t win you league titles. Consistency of high level performance wins league titles.

Fs.

Our best three players all out. Many players coming back and only good for 30 mins. The weather absolutely horrific and a team with ten in defence.
That 3 points wins you titles. If ever there is a night you win at any cost it was tonight.

Questioning any sort of win under those conditions would seem unfair to the maximum. Last night a win was, most defo, a win.

It was wild, wild conditions from start to finish and complete unconducive to play Football.

Absolutely no consideration for the conditions or the numerous staters missing?

3 points is all that matters on a night like last night.

Take the points and move on.

Needs to be taken in context. Considering the players out and the conditions last night then it was an any win will do situation.

I think we can all agree that performances need to improve in the coming weeks.

As someone who played competitively for almost 20 years in a team sport

A win is a win

Always

Nothing else matters

It's fine for the odd performance, the problem is when you play like that most weeks (ie us before Gio came in) you inevitably drop points here and there.

It concerns me that in most games we create very little clear cut chances. We must have had 80% possession yet I can’t remember their keeper having much to do

Performances recently haven't been overly exciting but last night was always going to be a tough watch. Horrid rain and rain against a team with no intentions of coming out their own half, mix that with having various key players unavailable, ill 100% take a 1-0 any day of the week. Tims gained nothing on us last night which is most important thing.

Put it this way OP, if we play like that v them next week and come away with the 3 points would you be happy, I know I would

It concerns me that in most games we create very little clear cut chances. We must have had 80% possession yet I can’t remember their keeper having much to do
He had a fantastic save from Sakala in the first half plus the one that was cleared off the line.

It was criminal nobody was there to put the ball Lowry put across the six yard box.

Its a win and 3 more points towards 56. We played poorly, yes, in a game we could have dropped points. We can't play like Brazil in the 1970 world cup every game.

We created quite a few chances especially first half but Itten couldn’t get into positions to finish them.
So all in all, although it wasn’t a classic performance, it was ok.
Plus take into consideration the team that started the game.

If we win the next 10 games like that, then absolutely.
However, with the suspended, injured and call ups to come back over and after the next 2 games then I think we can only improve.
Livingston set up not to get a doing. Fair play to them. Out of 6 points this season the scum have taken 1. Out of 9 v Livi we have 9. I'll take that

a wins a win is acceptable every so often not every other game

When we have so many out then yeah it's fair. Indeed most people were saying before kick off that a scrappy 1-0 will do.

We also need to remember Livingston's results against that mob this season. It shows they are well drilled and capable at sitting in.

At this stage of the season then it is all about grinding out wins. A match against Celtic coming up and we are one win away from going into that with a minimum 4pt lead over them… beat them and it’s 7 going into the second half of the season.

Drop points last night and it’s down to a one or two point lead and the pressure increases.

It might not be pretty but last night and Saturday are all about winning the match and the points. The pretty football can & will come.

At times yes, but we’ve basically been saying the same shïte since august.

The performances overall this season have been majority poor with sporadic acceptable.

Last season it was majority of performances good/acceptable with sporadic poor (but still getting the results).

Successive poor performances catch up with you results wise eventually.

On nights like tonight yes. Just think we'll have Aribo, Kent, Arfield, Jack & Roofe all available to start the next match presumably, which is about half a team worth of players who weren't available to start tonight.

Overall though improvements are needed.
Our passive approach to games is a concern though. Regardless of the starting 11. We have been flat in games against Hibs Hearts Sheep Dundee United and tonight.

Last edited:
What were the result of those 8 games? I'd rather play shite and win than play Well and lose/draw. We ain't gonna play well in every game. The season is about results, this season might be a close run title race, it might not. Strap yourself in.
We won 3/4 of them. I never disputed that.

I disputed your claims that “we were playing well” in them.

This was always going to be a tough game as they usually are v Livingston who were on a good run and had won five out of their last six games up to last night.if the game had finished 3-0 it wouldn’t have flattered us.

Livingston do what they do very well. Not nice to watch. Add in injuries, suspensions and international call ups and the weather then on this occasion a win is a win.

Under thr circumstances last night, yes. But I think overall performance levels have been dropping for a bit now
We were superb against St Mirren before the break. The concerning thing is the way we've come back again after the winter break. It's been poor like previous seasons under Gerrard.

"A Win's A Win"

It often is. I've been watching Rangers for 50 years and no team has routinely battered the 'diddy teams' week in, week out, even with players much better than we have now. We always remember the free flowing performances, but games like last night are just as important when it comes to winning leagues. So yes, in context, a win is a win.

Every season there are games like this. I'd like to see performances improve but I'll take a win anyway it comes.

Back