Is Scotland the only league where songs are deemed offensive?

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Have you ever heard of any other league in Europe or the world have fans and media being offended by songs.

At every game there are songs chants that slag , bait opponents etc

But I’ve never saw a report from any other league that ... those big fans were singing bad songs etc

It’s the serial offended. looking to be offended , wanting your team in trouble idiots in this small minded country that causing this hassle .

Especially the unwashed , if any of them question anything regarding songs , point them to Johnny macfarlanes podcast where he interviews Archie Macphersin who quotes jock stein.... “let the people sing , singing never hurt anyone”

Because it’s stein the unwashed go silent and so will the press because Stein can’t do no wrong and in no way will they say he’s wrong

Have you ever heard of any other league in Europe or the world have fans and media being offended by songs.

At every game there are songs chants that slag , bait opponents etc

But I’ve never saw a report from any other league that ... those big fans were singing bad songs etc

It’s the serial offended. looking to be offended , wanting your team in trouble idiots in this small minded country that causing this hassle .

Especially the unwashed , if any of them question anything regarding songs , point them to Johnny macfarlanes podcast where he interviews Archie Macphersin who quotes jock stein.... “let the people sing , singing never hurt anyone”

Because it’s stein the unwashed go silent and so will the press because Stein can’t do no wrong and in no way will they say he’s wrong

Are you nuts? In England there are chants about Hillsborough and the Munich disaster. Spurs are regularly taunted with Jewish slurs.

They get shut down immediately.

Chelsea fans got life bans for offensive songs on a train, for people who think it's only Rangers and can sing what they want outside of Ibrox are mistaken. I'm sure South American teams face fines and closure for homophobic chants (seemingly an age old chant when the oppo keeper takes a bye kick...now outlawed, times change, things move on)

No they don't. No club has been fined or banned for any of these chants down south.

The answer is that it is crucial to remember that no-one up here is actually offended. They simply see this as a great chance to get us fined, banned or playing behind closed doors. Full details were always available from any Spiers article from a decade ago:

"Generally considered Rangers are worse.....Celtic's tradition is gloriously Roman Catholic....folk ballads....we can assume what 19th Century Terrorist means now despite what dictionaries say....Rangers need to be properly punished for this...."

It was always the plan. No-one cares about the words or songs.

Are you nuts? In England there are chants about Hillsborough and the Munich disaster. Spurs are regularly taunted with Jewish slurs.

They get shut down immediately.
With a zero tolerance approach. We should actually thank ourselves sometimes that our Governing body couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, we would be up on 20 charges a week whether we did it or not.

Do other teams in England grass up their rivals for singing naughty songs ! :oops:

English clubs song books have changed a lot. We wouldn't get away with FTP and all the other stuff down south. Traditional stuff would be fine but screeching FTP would be snuffed out double quick. I imagine any league with a bit of money, lots of sponsors and full TV coverage would have made us reign our songbook in a long time ago.

The only reason it has been tolerated up here is because the Tim's would be in scope. If they weren't in our league we would have strict liability already being enforced in Scotland.

I have been to many games in Scotland from SPL to Championship,league 1 and 2 and at some point during any game there will be a chant or song that will offend somebody.

Was at Utrecht v Feyenoord game where the teams were taking off the pitch, because of offensive chants against the Referee.

Saw 2 political adverts at St Mirren yesterday.

I don’t care what anybody says, my interpretation of the term Fenían is based in politics it has zero to do with religion.

Anybody that views Fenían as a religious slur is hard of thinking.

The people who support the murder of innocent civilians, RUC and British service personnel don’t like said nomenclature and have lobbied to have it proscribed, the proscription of the term means that I wouldn’t use it in public; doesn’t change my interpretation of what the word means and never will.

tim - celtic supporter

19th Century Terrorist - republican terrorist supporter ( which too many celtic supporters are)

papish - religious conitations

I’d hazard a gues that most West if Scotland feníans are Roman Catholic or of Roman Catholic descent, but not all West of Scotland Roman Catholics are Fenían.

I went to school with a cuńt called Mark McQuaide who was pro-INLA, Brits out, Triscad - ar - Lah (so), spoke more about Bobby Sands even more than some Rangers fans sing about him, he was not RC but in my book his traits were Fenįanistic at best.

Last edited:
English clubs song books have changed a lot. We wouldn't get away with FTP and all the other stuff down south. Traditional stuff would be fine but screeching FTP would be snuffed out double quick. I imagine any league with a bit of money, lots of sponsors and full TV coverage would have made us reign our songbook in a long time ago.
Which is probably a good a reason as any to change our songbook.

How can we be marketable as a club with FTP, 19th Century Terrorists, IRA, UVF and Bobby Sands coming from the stands?

How can we be marketable as a club with FTP, 19th Century Terrorists, IRA, UVF and Bobby Sands coming from the stands?

We sing more about Sands than they do. The dirty scumbag isn’t worthy of having his name mentioned in Ibrox alongside the names of Struth, Wallace, Jardine, our Armed Services etc. We’ve immortalised him. Get it to f*ck and consign him to oblivion.

Was at Utrecht v Feyenoord game where the teams were taking off the pitch, because of offensive chants against the Referee.
A game wouldn't get finished up here! Especially Junior football where you can hear everything

Reactions: SSR

I agree.We simply have to move with the times.No self respecting company/advertisers will want to be associated with all that guff,especially if they are trying to gain business.It's not rocket science and we need to move on.

Been to the Den a few times and its not for the feint hearted. Alas, nothing is ever made of it.

Up here though? People who dont even attend the stadium are offended

Nah the Russians etc just laugh at Racism and the English enjoy taunting Jews. No one has ever ever complained...

Bingo. I think it has affected players in the past if I'm honest. But hey ho its tradition.

The thought of Tav having to hold this banner on Thursday is fucking depressing. Bet you players abroad with no understanding of 19th Century Terrorist etc will just think we are another right wing ultra type club. All across europe will be able to see we have a closed stand. Of course this affects all over the place, something that the manager is acutely aware of imo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - any songs or chants that mention 19th Century Terrorists, the pope, Bobby Sands, UDA, UVF should be binned. Not just because it gives those who want to destroy us a useful stick to beat us, but because they are actually cringeworthy. We know no-one is really offended but that is not the point. I am not offended by IRA songs, I have been hearing them all my life. I even can sing Kevin Barry, The Rising of the Moon, Roddy McCorley etc. That doesn't mean I don't hate Irish Republicans.
The really offensive songs are ones about the Ibrox disaster, a thug called Simpson, praising a terrorist organisation that killed hundreds of men, women and children in the recent past purely for being British and / or Protestant,and others that are purely sang for no other reason than to bait us and cause hatred. Does anyone out there think that Sheep supporters, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Ross County etc. actually get annoyed when they hear e.g that Bobby Sands is deed? Many of them don't even know who he was. But allowing people to concentrate on our relatively innocuous songs allows the real vicious singers to get away with it. For instance none of our songs are sang to cause trouble with the nasty bastards at Pittodrie. But their songs - purely to get a reaction and spread bile and hatred.
We have songs that any football supporter in the world would be jealous of, we don't need to shoot ourselves in the foot.
Other clubs songs intended purely to offend get a bye ball- only in Scotland.

So, what has Irish Republicanism got to do with Rangers playing against a team from Continental Europe?

What have political movements whose sole intention is a united Ireland got to do with Rangers playing against a team from Continental Europe?

And here's another serious question, what the furk has Boaby Sands got to do with Rangers? Why the constant desire to tell opposing teams that he's dead? I doubt he was even a football fan.

edit: Sands died in 1981.

Last edited:
Back