Is Sherrif beating Madrid the biggest upset in CL history?

Is Sherrif beating Madrid the biggest upset in CL history?

• Yes

Votes: 534 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 98 15.5%

• Total voters
First player from Luxemburg to score in CL.

Likes his tattoos.

gn20.png

First player from Luxemburg to score in CL.

Likes his tattoos.
That's a good we bit of knowledge if true mate.
He did indeed play against us, he is on loan from Progres at the moment. Nice wee bit of history for Luxembourg tonight, the first Luxembourgish player to score in the CL and it is a last minute winner at the Bernabeu!

Anyone who includes a 1/10 on their accumulator deserves to have it bust.
Oh aye definitely agree with that! But there is some amount of people that would have put it in just to bump an acca up a little. Luckily I wasn’t one of them lol!

I certainly recognise the name of the player who scored the match winner, Sebastian Thill.

I had Real to win both halves last night as part of an accumulator, 3 of the 4 teams let me down but Real still had a "W" next to them on the list as if the betting company had already declared it. lol

Put a few quid on them when they went one up at 5/1. Didnt know the score until I woke up this morning, but expected them to have been beat. Happy days!

The first result I thought of that rivalled it was Shaktar beating Madrid at home, with a number of their players out with Covid.

Reckon tonight tops it though.

By a million miles. Shaktar are a wealthy team that have regularly been in the CL. Last night was astonishing.

I think so, considering the amount of times Real have won it & where it was played

I think the biggest shocks are Liverpool coming back from 3-0 against Milan
And Man United v bayern in 99.

But in terms of an underdog victory , this is has to be it. Had never even heard of Sheriff until I watched the highlights this morning

As much as it’s mental and hilarious, I do feel bad for Ancelotti. Always been one of the most likeable managers around and regardless of what’s he’s achieved there before, the spoilt brats that follow that club were be baying for blood now.

No wonder they were pushing so hard for the super league, them and Barca have made their bed but don’t want to lie in it. I really want to see a period of Atletico dominance here. Not that it’ll happen right enough because eventually the Spanish government will replenish Real’s squad for them.

I think the biggest shocks are Liverpool coming back from 3-0 against Milan
And Man United v bayern in 99.

But in terms of an underdog victory , this is has to be it. Had never even heard of Sheriff until I watched the highlights this morning

Was the United one really that much of a shock? It was dramatic I’ll give you that, but teams scoring 2 late goals win a game has happened a lot. The Liverpool one certainly qualifies given the score line at half time.

One of the biggest shocks was how Dudek was allowed to get away with being so far off his line for some of those penalties

E6fTar6X0AMlkfJ

Was the United one really that much of a shock? It was dramatic I’ll give you that, but teams scoring 2 late goals win a game has happened a lot. The Liverpool one certainly qualifies given the score line at half time.

One of the biggest shocks was how Dudek was allowed to get away with being so far off his line for some of those penalties

E6fTar6X0AMlkfJ

I think the fact Man United did that in a champions League final makes it a shock.

Liverpool should never have been in the 2005 Istanbul final , Luis Garcias ghost goal against chelsea was cleared off the line by William Gallas.

I think the fact Man United did that in a champions League final makes it a shock.

Liverpool should never have been in the 2005 Istanbul final , Luis Garcias ghost goal against chelsea was cleared off the line by William Gallas.

Between the phantom goal and having a keeper who basically charged the edge of the 6 yard box for the penalties they certainly carried a fair bit of luck in that campaign.

Between the phantom goal and having a keeper who basically charged the edge of the 6 yard box for the penalties they certainly carried a fair bit of luck in that campaign.
They sure did. They almost went out in group stage that year, saved by a late wondergoal from Stevie G

"Nobody who was there will ever forget it.

In December 2004, Liverpool looked like they were on their way out of the Champions League until a hero stepped up and saved them.

The hero's name was Steven Gerrard, and his goal capped a memorable comeback for the Reds against Olympiakos in the final group-stage game."

They sure did. They almost went out in group stage that year, saved by a late wondergoal from Stevie G

"Nobody who was there will ever forget it.

In December 2004, Liverpool looked like they were on their way out of the Champions League until a hero stepped up and saved them.

The hero's name was Steven Gerrard, and his goal capped a memorable comeback for the Reds against Olympiakos in the final group-stage game."

An iconic goal not only for the sheer quality on show from our gaffer, but for Andy Gray’s commentary.

This was a big one at the time, or would have been without the comeback!

1st leg was 0-0, Haifa were big favs for leg 2 but went 3 down after 15 minutes. It was when manual trading was still done by bookies, lad I worked with was running the match and totally cocked up the prices, went 33/1 Haifa to win in 90 when they were 3-0 down and got absolutely filled in - it should have been around 7/1. Haifa then win 4-3, nearly got sacked for it.

Last edited:
Haha what?
I think we've got different definitions of what an upset is. To me, the pre-match odds determine how much of an shock the final outcome was.

I think to others an upset is pehaps a relatively unknown team beating a team regarded as footballing giants.

Going by the odds, the biggest CL shocks as suggested in this thread are ranked as (biggest to smallest):

1. Sheriff v Real
2. Rubin v Barca
3. Liverpool to qualify v Barca
4. Shaktar v Real
5. BATE v Bayern
6. AK Graz v Liverpool
7. Rangers v Lyon
8. APOEL to qualify v Lyon

edit: I misread the BATE odds, I've moved them from 3rd to 5th

Last edited:
I think we've got different definitions of what an upset is. To me, the pre-match odds determine how much of an shock the final outcome was.

I think to others an upset is pehaps a relatively unknown team beating a team regarded as footballing giants.

Going by the odds, the biggest CL shocks as suggested in this thread are ranked as (biggest to smallest):

1. Sheriff v Real
2. Rubin v Barca
3. BATE v Bayern
4. Liverpool to qualify v Barca
5. Shaktar v Real
6. AK Graz v Liverpool
7. Rangers v Lyon
8. APOEL to qualify v Lyon
Going by pure odds Depor to qualify v AC Milan after the 1st leg would be in the top 5 there. Bate were about 9/1 to beat Bayern, wasn't that massive a shock for a Group Stage match really.

Reactions: G33
Just watched the highlights and it was an onslaught from Real Madrid missing all kinds of chance. Sheriff had 2 meaningful attacks but took their chances superbly

it will probably be 0-6 when they next play

Going by pure odds Depor to qualify v AC Milan after the 1st leg would be in the top 5 there. Bate were about 9/1 to beat Bayern, wasn't that massive a shock for a Group Stage match really.

Well spotted on BATE, my mistake. I've amended that table haha

Deportivo is a great shout, they'd be up there for sure. It looks like they were just over Evens to win the match that night (4-1 down first leg) so if I had to guess it would be around 12/1 to qualify.

Longer odds than Sheriff last night apparently

Drifted a bit before kick off Kazan, probably when the Barcelona team came out - pretty decent one really, most won't have expected Messi or Ibra to start I expect.

If we are including qualifiers, I'd like to suggest

iu

The Imps were average price 23/1 that night.

Back