Is short term contracts the future of football?

Liviger1984

With the way the management situation seems to be going in football these days, it seems like every few months someone is being sacked/ replaced. New managers coming in wanting their own players/ style of football, do you think long term contracts will start disappearing??

Doubt it. What manager/player would sign to a club with no long term security either by working for his wage or a pay off?

You may be correct for the top players as they'll always be in demand and the more new deals they sign or moves they make then the more financial reward they'll get.

For players at a lower level in terms of wages earned, they will probably still want longer deals as it'll give them more security in what is already a short career.

Doubt it. What manager/player would sign to a club with no long term security either by working for his wage or a pay off?

I was meaning the players more so than managers. If managers are changing a lot and players they don't want have long term contracts it will mean more pay offs etc.

Don't think so. I think clubs will have a recruitment team and policy in place, and any new manager would just bea part of that team, and not be the sole arbiter on signings.
I think that this may now be the situation at Rangers imo.
It is very high risk to employ an inexperienced manager(like Pedro), and then give him complete control over player recruitment.

no for a vast amount of reasons

offers little for players regarding future both in the game and financially and offers little for teams as one of their main assets is their players

Wouldn't be good for any team apart from the very top teams. As soon as we got someone showing they are good they'd be off to England. As soon as they proved themselves there they'd be off to Real or Barca.

Players will want longer contracts as they need security. Have a career ending or long term injury and they could stop getting paid in a few months instead of a few years.

I would imagine the opposite. As transfer fees get more and more ridiculous I would think clubs will want to tie players down for longer so they don't need to shell out all the time and actually get your money worth out out of them. If they do want to leave you can command higher fees when you sell if their contract is still a good length. There's not many clubs who let players run their contracts down if they are able to make some money. If They were all short term contracts players would just wait it out and they would all leaving for free

I suppose some players would be right up for it - certainly the very good ones that know they'll be in demand. They could chop and change for the cash incentives on a regular basis. It would also suit some clubs as well if they sign someone they don't particularly want.

That said, the mass majority of clubs and players wouldn't even consider it. Clubs because they'll be losing out on the absolutely stupid transfer fees and players for the opposite of the above suggestion - they'll not want the worry of being let go because they're not working out.

Won't happen but I don't have a problem with what we're doing just now. Very sensible - taking good players on loan with a view to buying them at the end of the loan. Securing some young talent on a full time basis at the same time.

Back