Is tempo a short-term solution?

Struths Canary

From my absolutely non Tuchel esque knowledge bank I watched from North Stand on Sunday and one thing was obvious: our pedestrian pace let Hibs do two things

1. Press us quite high and repeatedly
2. Get everyone behind the ball fairly quickly and easily.

Gio has had a few days, and his changes will take far longer, but is this one fault of the old training set up that he can change? Or is it too soon for that too due to injury risk and type of training we do?

Last edited:
Yes, its something that needs resolved and can be sorted before more drastic issues. We are utterly pedestrian, Kamara, Davis and Lundstrom do not offer any pace to our midfield and thats why I like to see Arfield play, he offers the drive and willingness to get forward that you never see from the others. If GvB can address this issue quickly we will be far more potent.

There is no getting away from the fact that Gerrard’s style of play has seen particularly, Tav, Kent, Morelos to name a few running at a hundred miles an hour for 3 seasons straight. A lot of European action in there so 50-60 games a season.

It is no wonder that there has been injury and fatigue because the style of play demands a lot of the players. Physically and mentally.

I think tempo is a solution if you can get an entire 11 on the same page, which by and large we had last year. Defending from the front with 3 attackers working in unison and tracking down the ball and winning it back with help from the midfield. It was perfect.

But we won the title, and the squad by and large is still the same. I think a lot of players are mentally and physically drained. Add to that the rigours of playing for Rangers and everything associated with that, and it’s likely that some players can only handle that for a short period.

In short, I think we have reached the end of a cycle with this playing squad, and it is time to go again. Fresh players, fresh ideas and it will be easier for GVB to implement a form of quick paced 4-3-3 football.

But we all know where we stand financially and the ability to change and compliment the squad. That’s why these players need to get us over the line this year and give us Champions League football next season.

Playing with any kind of speed will make us much more dangerous and the opposition much less so.

An easy switch for a double gain, assuming the players listen. If they don’t then boot up bum time.

We've got too many players who take far too long to make a pass and completely kill any tempo we have. That's one of the many reasons we've missed Ryan Jack so much, he keeps everything going with 1 and 2 touch passing.

The other thing is slow passes straight to feet instead of into the space in front, or with a bit of zip on them. It's fucking murder at times.

Definitely something Gio can hopefully sort out fairly quickly, although I can't understand why Gerrard put up with it all season.

I want this too but, every player has to buy into it or you get bypassed. We have players who have shown they won't do that.
Gio has to be ruthless.

There is no getting away from the fact that Gerrard’s style of play has seen particularly, Tav, Kent, Morelos to name a few running at a hundred miles an hour for 3 seasons straight. A lot of European action in there so 50-60 games a season.

It is no wonder that there has been injury and fatigue because the style of play demands a lot of the players. Physically and mentally.

I think tempo is a solution if you can get an entire 11 on the same page, which by and large we had last year. Defending from the front with 3 attackers working in unison and tracking down the ball and winning it back with help from the midfield. It was perfect.

But we won the title, and the squad by and large is still the same. I think a lot of players are mentally and physically drained. Add to that the rigours of playing for Rangers and everything associated with that, and it’s likely that some players can only handle that for a short period.

In short, I think we have reached the end of a cycle with this playing squad, and it is time to go again. Fresh players, fresh ideas and it will be easier for GVB to implement a form of quick paced 4-3-3 football.

But we all know where we stand financially and the ability to change and compliment the squad. That’s why these players need to get us over the line this year and give us Champions League football next season.
Great post, especially the first part about constant running for 3 seasons straight. I thought at first that Gerrard was holding them back at the start of this season, so they were a bit more fresh for the middle to end parts of this season when he would get them playing the same way again.

Whether or not that happens now is another matter.

We've got too many players who take far too long to make a pass and completely kill any tempo we have. That's one of the many reasons we've missed Ryan Jack so much, he keeps everything going with 1 and 2 touch passing.

The other thing is slow passes straight to feet instead of into the space in front, or with a bit of zip on them. It's fucking murder at times.

Definitely something Gio can hopefully sort out fairly quickly, although I can't understand why Gerrard put up with it all season.
Absolutely spot on. Watching the game at any decent level every player looks to progress and advance play as quickly as possible and catch the opposition out of position. Working as hard off the ball as they do on it. We moan about teams parking the bus, but we're our own worst enemy the way we hog the ball under no pressure. The pass out wide and cross from fullback is nothing more than a symptom of that flaw if you ask me.

The same thing that Klopp was accused off at Dortmund. Over exerting the same players, who eventually fade, and leave the team on empty.

Back