Is the past years worse than the 80s

Cup semi final v forfar in 82,we were singing what a load of rubbish and one Jock Wallace long before the end.in the enclosure at Ibrox punters would be screaming for John Greig’s head on a plate as soon as he appeared out of the tunnel before a ball was kicked
DB - we would sing our hearts out but would tear strips off them in equal measures that very game you mention was a long night.
But I don't enjoy going at the moment Ibrox may be sold out every week with undeniable loyalty but idoes it feel better , for me no. This is a hard watch.

It's much worse. Keep in mind the level of competition. Aberdeen and Dundee United were more than holding their own in Europe never mind Scotland. The standard was much higher than it is now. Now we are playing poor Scittish competition.

Agree with this. The 1980s team would beat the current team with ease. Cooper would probably embarrass them to the point that they would question why they are even playing football.

NEVER been so bad for me....I was aware of the late 70's early 80's and it was not good...We've got to realise and take in to consideration what we have been through since 2012...in laymans terms, we did start again...an 18 month signing embargo on top of all the other sanctions ? well of course it's excruciating but we've just got to keeping digging away until 55 comes.
Digging away with this lot,board included,will only find us deeper down the hole.

DB - we would sing our hearts out but would tear strips off them in equal measures that very game you mention was a long night.
But I don't enjoy going at the moment Ibrox may be sold out every week with undeniable loyalty but idoes it feel better , for me no. This is a hard watch.
Some of the stuff you would hear in the enclosure was brutal but honest when big Derek Johnstone was let’s just say putting on a few pounds and people shouting give him a drug test he just ran ten yards

Some of the stuff you would hear in the enclosure was brutal but honest when big Derek Johnstone was let’s just say putting on a few pounds and people shouting give him a drug test he just ran ten yards

But big DJ was a player, an amazing player to be honest but contract wrangles etc definitely had an impact on the relationship between him and us. To be fair though his man jugs did serve him well when the big man celebrated at the Jungle.

Also you could shout anything back then and no-one batted an eye-lid

As bad as things were and how low the attendances got I enjoyed going to games in the early 80s,Maybe its because I am a lot older and drink less and behave better I do not enjoy going to games now and I am a baw hair away from jacking it in,If the football is gash and you don't go for a wee pre match swally there is no enjoyment in going to games.

Was too young in the 80's to compare but it must have been grim if it was worse than this.

No team plays us now expecting to get beat, absolutely everyone fancies that they can get a result against us. Even Fraserburgh will probably be fancying their chances next month.

Folk I know that support other clubs don't even give me grief when we lose anymore, we've just become a team of losers.

I believe our record run of losses is 4, which last happened in the 80's funnily enough - I can see it happening again with the Motherwell and Celtic game coming up. We're lucky we've got Fraserburgh before the Aberdeen game or it would probably be another embarassing new record broken this season.

It doesn't seem as bad, yet.
Looking at it, we have a bigger gap to catch the Filth than we had then. We also don't seem capable of beating them, in the 80s we did regularly. Perhaps it's because of the last few years that doesn't make it seem as bad.

Yes by an absolute mile
I would back us 100% of the time to beat the scum at Ibrox - under Greig and Wallace - as we would fight and we had skill to - Russell , Cooper , Bett

Not now we have fuk all fight - no creation and cannot open s team up
Must be the easiest team in the league to defend against

As most have said, this is a lot worse than the 80's, at least the players had a bit of fight in them then, this lot are total jelly fish to the point of embarrassment. Mind you doesn't help when the board obviously can't give a "Donald Duck".

Don't think it's a comparison that can be fairly done.
Back then we had become stagnant by our own doing, the results were poor and fans showed their displeasure by staying away. Ibrox as others have stated was soul destroying. The Board had the means but failed to show direction until Holmes vision.

The last 5 years we have been battling on various front, Spiv's, SFA, SPFL, Courts, every other club. Our focus was not on the football side, it should have been.
We now have a Board that appear to have pulled off a few good buisness moves, however are totally inept on the football side of things.
During this period the gulf has increased massively.

The fans have not shown any inclination to staying away, there is a strong will that our club should return to our rightful place, the fans will do their best to ensure that happens. Of course there are rants and raves when we get results like yesterday, but at the end of the day it's OUR club.
The Board must realise that they cannot operate the football side, get people who can.
It was always going to be a painful return, no club has done anything like it. Get it right and investors will be banging on the doors, why, because we have massive potential.

Supporting Rangers the wife and myself since 50s onwards, and we cannot recall a supposed Rangers Team like this as a total shambles. As for Murty this is directed at older Bears, does he not put you in mind of the “Boy David” Davy White?

This is grim now, too young to remember football in the 80s only know it from videos and looking at results at home and Europe.

We're way worse than the teams of the 80s. I never thought I'd see a worse team than three years ago when McDowall took charge. We seem to have hit the reset button back to then.

All we need is some shit loans from Newcastle and Ross McCrorie sold for pennies and that's us back to when the Spivs had us.

A very good chance we'll get to the 3 year anniversary of the EGM having gone backwards.

I've watched Rangers since the early 70s and seen plenty of poor average good and brilliant teams in that time but this current outfit who are playing for us at this present time are by far the worst and most gutless team that this old dart has clapped eyes on.

I'd say this is much much worse. Despite performances on the field back then we were a sleeping giant, just built a brand new stadium, we didnt have Celtic running the SFA. We were still respected as a club and seen as Scotlands club. The fans didn' take any shit and the poor attendances showed this. Abereen might have been ahead of us but by feck they were a good team as were Celtic and Dundee Hibs. Money didn't have the impact on the game that it does now. Oh and anyone that said Glasgow's green and white would have got a kick in the balls

Just wondering how slightly older bears view the seasons since 2012 till now against what they went through as supporters in the 80s before the Souness revaluation.

As growing up then and seing a really poor unsuccessful Rangers side must have been similar to what todays young bears are going through.

I grew up in the 90s so was spoiled and have high expectations of Rangers i really feel for all younger bears having to witness the utter shambles the past 5 years have served them up and hats off to each and everyone if them for sticking with it ...The Glory Days will come again.

Mate this is miles worse some of it outside our control the money in the EPL but the past years have knackered the club it’s like long term recovery from a really bad illness. In the 1980’s we could and did win cups play in Europe and beat the scum in a one off game. Now we cannot beat Kilmarnock

I remember the 80's well, it was grim, but we did win cups' here and there and we did beat them as well.
Today is much worse
The level of quality in the Rangers squad is a million miles from where we need it to be.
Its as simple as that . throw in an U20's coach as manger and you don't need to be a genius to figure out how this ends;

We need massive financial investment and a much higher quality of player.
There are no short cuts in this

Supporting Rangers the wife and myself since 50s onwards, and we cannot recall a supposed Rangers Team like this as a total shambles. As for Murty this is directed at older Bears, does he not put you in mind of the “Boy David” Davy White?
David White should have given more time please look at his league record and the players he bought ie Stein and Doddy

Just wondering how slightly older bears view the seasons since 2012 till now against what they went through as supporters in the 80s before the Souness revaluation.

As growing up then and seing a really poor unsuccessful Rangers side must have been similar to what todays young bears are going through.

I grew up in the 90s so was spoiled and have high expectations of Rangers i really feel for all younger bears having to witness the utter shambles the past 5 years have served them up and hats off to each and everyone if them for sticking with it ...The Glory Days will come again.
I'd say this is much much worse than the 80s. That era the league was much more competitive, with excellent Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Hibs teams, a number of which could enjoy good runs in Europe. Now they're all mince and we're just as bad, so yes this is significantly worse.

Agree with this. The 1980s team would beat the current team with ease. Cooper would probably embarrass them to the point that they would question why they are even playing football.
Cooper against Tavernier, he'd tie him in knots!

This is far worse. It's selective memory to deny it.

Back in the early 80's, football was plagued with massive hooligan problems that drove attendances down everywhere. The disaster at Heysel sealed a truly terrible period of hooligan problems. That was a major contributor to dropping attendances. Check out the scum attendances when they won the league during that period if you don't believe that.

However, on the pitch, we could still compete against very good Dundee Utd and Aberdeen and scum sides. It might pain us to remember this, but Dundee Utd reached a UEFA Cup final and a European Cup semi final and The Sheep won the ECWC. Despite this, we still won trophies against that level of competition and competed occasionally well in Europe ourselves.

There isn't a single current player who I would put into any of the early 80's sides. This lot are truly dismal. The worst top flight Rangers side I have ever seen

Last edited:
This is much worse, if only because there’s not a magic Souness wand to wave anymore.

Also, as bad as it was, the team of the early ‘80s would destroy this current bunch of charlatans.

Got to agree with this, the team from the 80s would easily beat our current bunch of imposters

Always felt there was some positives and hope in the 80s it's grim and reeking of pessimism for as far as we can see into the future,We have survived for the entertainment and the financial benefit of the rest of the Scottish game that hates our very existence.

Even in the 80’s we won the odd cup plus the scum were as bad as we were . It was generally the sheep and Dundee Utd who were the top two

Celtic won three titles, Sheep two and Dundee Utd one from 80 - 86 bud, they had good sides but the Sheep and Dundee Utd certainly fared better in Europe, Utd really should have been in the EC final in 84 but were robbed in the second leg.

This is far worse I can assure you. Even scarier is it’s going to get worse.
In the 80s we were a tougher and harde team and had some quality flair players. The problem was Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were getting to euro finals and semi finals.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.on the pitch yesterday along with the Hamilton,dundee and St Johnstone was as bad as anything I seen from 82/83-85/86 seasons when I was going to games most weeks.at least back then we might pick up a league cup and run the yahoos close.the huge difference is there wasn’t a season ticket culture back then and unhappy punters voted with their feet.the support would turn out for cup finals and games v the yahoos so you knew we still had a huge support but they protested at the board and what we were seeing on the pitch by staying away.
In 85/86 when we struggled to finish fifth I think that season was, at that time, statistically our worst ever season. As bad it was at least we had Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist and the emergence of one of the greatest talents ever to pull on the jersey, Ian Durrant. In the middle of it we were still capable of thumping Celtic 3-0 at Ibrox.

For a few years now I've been telling younger Bears, "As bad as this, the early to mid 80's was worse." But I've been kidding myself on. This is a new low point.

Every rangers team I have seen since the sixties would hammer this current squad. Even the least talented were physically stronger. They had a determination and took a pride in the colours they wore. All things that Pedros signings are oblivious of

The early 80s were glory days compared to the last 6 years,The only advantage and plus points of today is the attendances and if there is no obvious improvement over the next couple of seasons they will drop significantly.
Correct ! I could not have put it better.

In 85/86 when we struggled to finish fifth I think that season was, at that time, statistically our worst ever season. As bad it was at least we had Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist and the emergence of one of the greatest talents ever to pull on the jersey, Ian Durrant. In the middle of it we were still capable of thumping Celtic 3-0 at Ibrox.

For a few years now I've been telling younger Bears, "As bad as this, the early to mid 80's was worse." But I've been kidding myself on. This is a new low point.
Thinking about that season we actually had a good start and had some memorable results cuffing the yahoos 3-0 at Ibrox and Ian Durrant and Derek Ferguson both teenagers running the midfield.we fell to bits around December, although we did have that 4-4 draw with the yahoos.the bulk of that team were crowned champions the following season.their wasn’t the wholesale clear out people think when souness took over.

This is far worse I can assure you. Even scarier is it’s going to get worse.
In the 80s we were a tougher and harde team and had some quality flair players. The problem was Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were getting to euro finals and semi finals.
Although Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were better sides than us we did beat them at Ibrox occasionally,more so Dundee Utd it has to be said.

the thing is back then we were a sleeping giant ,mr Holmes and souness gave us hope ,today the supporters fill Ibrox every match ,yet lack of money is the root cause for all our problems,no hope unless we can attract investment.

Now is worse. Not necessarily the last 6 years (despite 2012). It is totally embarrassing now, laughing stock from chairman to board to non ex directors to manager to players.
As many have said the 80s teams were poor but gave their all every game plus the support might have been less but we were together at all times (for the good & the bad), & the odd cup was won and there was never ever any fear playing the bheasts.

David White should have given more time please look at his league record and the players he bought ie Stein and Doddy
I’m not arguing about his record and signings, it’s about the dimina, the sad thing is he was also picked on because of what I think was a hair lip.

It's worse now as back then, I always seemed to have some hope, but the last few years all hope has gone from me. We just get back and we think nothing else can go wrong, but it just seems to go wrong

In the early 80s we had Davie Cooper, we had Bobby Russell, we had Jim Bett, and we were up against the best Aberdeen and the best Dundee Utd team ever.
We were a mile short of challenging and were a very poor Rangers team, but we won the League Cup in 81, 84 and 85 and we won the Scottish Cup in 81. We also lost in a few cup finals.

The current team is nowhere near as good as that.
Agreed. No comparison. Remember back then Aberdeen and ddee Utd were challenging to win European comps...even rangers back then were not a European walkover...we were a weak team in a very strong league. Now we’re poor team in sh1te league!!
At the time my dad always used to say though... don’t worry, we’ll come again. And that was the case..as it will be again.

Back