Is there a rule for how long the keeper can hold the ball?

Depends on the keeper and which team they play for. Livi keeper spent all game time wasting ref played lip service to trying to get him moving at best. We go ahead AM does it once Robertson is all over him.

At the refs discretion, no wonder the games fkd. We certainly have some discretional referees these days.
It's not at the referees discretion - it is 6 seconds.

Straight from the current rule book -

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

The rule isn’t six seconds anymore, pretty sure it’s at the referees discretion these days
How sure?

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

It's not at the referees discretion - it is 6 seconds.

Straight from the current rule book -

Thanks for agreeing with me once you read the thread again :shh:

How sure?

Unfortunately that doesn't take into account a keeper deciding he wants to place the ball on the right hand side of the six yard box when taking a goal kick then changes his mind and decides the left hand side would be a better idea, then has to kick the soles of his boots off the post a few times to get rid of the mud...then decides to wave to his players where he wants them to be, decides the soles of his boots still aren't clean enough.......you get the idea!
The time wasting antics are getting ridiculous, particularly at Ibrox.
It really is about time yellow cards were shown on a more regular basis!

How sure?

Fair enough. Had been told by a pal who’s a qualified ref it had been changed. Maybe one of those that they’re told doesn’t need enforced

Unfortunately that doesn't take into account a keeper deciding he wants to place the ball on the right hand side of the six yard box when taking a goal kick then changes his mind and decides the rleft hand side would be a better idea, then has to kick the soles of his boots off the post a few times to get rid of the mud...then decides to wave to his players where he wants them to be, decides the soles of his boots still aren't clean enough.......you get the idea!
I would love to ask referees if they actually think that time wasting by goalkeepers enhances the game in Scotland and why they seem to encourage this aspect of the game. How fans of other clubs accept this as entertainment baffles me.

Unfortunately that doesn't take into account a keeper deciding he wants to place the ball on the right hand side of the six yard box when taking a goal kick then changes his mind and decides the left hand side would be a better idea, then has to kick the soles of his boots off the post a few times to get rid of the mud...then decides to wave to his players where he wants them to be, decides the soles of his boots still aren't clean enough.......you get the idea!
I think a lot of refs do it too. How many times does the likes of don robertson etc. Stop the game, pull players together to talk to the players. Slow the game down down and basically just kill time. Give fouls when you could clearly just play on, blow the final whistle when the gers are on the attack. Play over time when the gers opponents are on the attack.

Ach, I'm just getting paranoid.

There are rules are further down the page for that, although I don't dispute that the refs don't always take action on them:

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:

• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
  • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
  • excessively delaying a restart
  • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
  • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake

Ask Greegs, he's been booked for it more than the opposition.

I thought the ref was poor in this regard.

I'm sure it was three...four steps would have surely been deemed far too long!
;)
Four it was…

I had their keeper on to get booked on a few bets, if that was the EPL he’d have likely been carded

Not ideal really, would’ve been up a good bit

Ask Greegs, he's been booked for it more than the opposition.

I thought the ref was poor in this regard.
It’s the inconsistency that frustrates you. I’d like refs to clamp down on it and book players after 2 warnings, don’t care if it’s 10th min or 80th

So annoying again and refs do absolutely nothing about it.

Also deliberately going to take a free kick 10 yards from where it happened, hoping the ref wastes more time to move you back, and if he doesn't, then hey you've stole 10 yards.
No but there’s a rule that allows any keepers team playing against us that they are allowed to waste time for unlimited periods during a game (averaging 20 to 30 seconds from the ball being placed on the six yard box) and may only get booked near the end of the game.

If we score to take the lead and adopt the same tactics deployed by the opposition, the Rangers keeper gets booked if he starts to waste time on his second attempt.

Them’s the rules.

It’s up to the Referees discretion as told to me by a SFA linesman,pointless rule .

Seen we are talking about Referees discretion Clancy doesn’t have make a lot of them involving us .

Maybe 4th official should have 2 watches one for each team and start them when a team deliberately wastes time. Then if a team score a goal like last nights the only extra time added is the time wasted by the goal scoring team.
Not sure if that makes sense but I am sure you will get what I mean.

:cool::cool::cool:

Depends on the keeper and which team they play for. Livi keeper spent all game time wasting ref played lip service to trying to get him moving at best. We go ahead AM does it once Robertson is all over him.
It's the same every single game and it does my tits in, it's the sort of thing I'd be genuinely complaining about if I was a manager.

It's like the totting up procedure you see players get booked for, which is fair enough if they've been fouling numerous times, but refs seem to apply it to the game as a whole. So he'll issue 4 or 5 warnings about time wasting and then produce a booking but it doesn't matter who received the warnings. Things seem to be treated differently after the 70th minute as well, players booked much more quickly for tackles that would never have been punished earlier in the game

The Livi keeper was warned 3 times by the 16th minute. I never noticed any difference after that.

Yes, but it seems to be completely ignored when it's the opposition goalie against Rangers. Another example of SFA refs being unable to do the basics.

Their keeper was wasting time the first time he collected the ball, I genuinely don't think there was 2 minutes on the clock. The referee was equally to blame for time wasting, deliberately stopped play at a corner to speak to two players and actually had a grip of Kamara's arm (think it was Kamara), I saw similar in the EPL last weekend and the player forcibly removed the referees hand from him forcing the ref to apologize.

There are rules are further down the page for that, although I don't dispute that the refs don't always take action on them:

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:

• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take
  • delaying leaving the field of play when being substituted
  • excessively delaying a restart
  • kicking or carrying the ball away, or provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play
  • taking a free kick from the wrong position to force a retake
Going by that list Livingston had a full house last night.

Not for any goalkeepers that play against Rangers. Very arbitrary discretion by the ref last night.

Livi couldn't move quick enough after the goal. Our ball boys played a blinder, just a shame our players kept giving away free kicks and losing possession.

Back