Is there an argument to make CL/EL knockouts this way going forward?

Reckon most of these 1 legged ties have been brilliant. Could there be an argument to have all the CL & EL knockout rounds this way from now on? Just a wee 3 week mini tournament in some host country at the end of the season with 1 legged games up until the final?

Reckon it would make the group stages more exciting as well knowing you're qualifying to just be a few weeks worth of ties away from reaching a final.

End of season tournament, wouldn’t put it past UEFA if they think it’ll make them money

Make the whole competition luck of the draw and give the home advantage to the lower ranked team After a few seasons youd have far greater parity

The big boys wouldnt like it, but why should european football be for the benefit of six clubs and the tv companies?

No chance it ever happens

Yes 100%. Was saying this other day there.

Last 16 two legs.

Quarter finals onwards knockout matches over a 2.5 week period. None of this teams sitting in and protecting leads etc. Almost like a mini euros / world cup setup in the host nation's country. What a spectacle.

Would be good. Last 16 down, one off games in a neutral venue with a 50/50 split (final like).

Money dictates though.

Problem is, aside from the cash argument, is trying to condense a tournament into a short space of time when the regular domestic seasons are back up and running.

A tournament like this is only exciting when all teams are playing at the same location over a short space of time, IMO.

Definitely more exciting for your average punter. But if your team was involved you’d want a home leg and of course 1 game is less revenue generated by every metric, so UEFA wouldn’t be interested.

The knockout stage of the CL throws up great games every season.

It's unfair and elitist but the CL is by far the best tournament in football.

I'd like.

Also to compensate for the loss of games instead of a round of 16 they could bring back the old second group stage. It would give some mouth watering games and would also fix how long and drawn out the round of 16 feels (you get 2 Europa League rounds done in the same time).

Done properly with a bit of thought it could potentially generate more money, last 16 mini tournament in a host nation, hated the CL for the last 10 years, each year watching less and less but this one off knock out phase has revitalised the whole tournament and some of the football has been phenomenal....

Single legged ties would lead to boring backs to the wall jobs (much like our own league) and no one wants to see that.

It will never happen. Too much cash/revenue involved.

The top 5-10 clubs in Europe would lose too much money.
No crowds, no attendance. TV revenue is not enough.

Just last year, were they not trying to make it more eliteist and more difficult for those outwith the "top 10" to earn more revenue and qualify, making it almost a "champions of the champions league"

Single legged ties would lead to boring backs to the wall jobs (much like our own league) and no one wants to see that.

what's that based on? What would parking the bus achieve in a one leg tie? We've just seen Bayern Munich score 8 against Barcelona which suggests your point isn't entirely true.

As a fan? Absolutely.

UEFA want more games between the big sides though so unlikely to happen longer term.

Mini European championships each year, UEFA will be rubbing their hands

There is in terms of entertainment value but for the suits that run the game it isn't and hasn't been about that for the best part of around 70 years.

Started a thread earlier about a champions League and also Europa League world cup style tournament at ended of April/start of may.. would be blockbuster

Last edited:
I reckon the semi-final and final should be one leg and in the final week of the season.

Have the semis on Tuesday/Wednesday and the final on the Saturday. All games played in one location, neutral venue. Kind of like a week of football, booze and fans to finish the season.

I would agree too much money involved for a permanent change, but it seems to have worked well. One leg ties at neutral grounds would certainly be interesting. We always seem to play well away from home so no fears from me. Seeding changes are a no go. This is all about money for uefa.

Make the whole competition luck of the draw and give the home advantage to the lower ranked team After a few seasons youd have far greater parity

The big boys wouldnt like it, but why should european football be for the benefit of six clubs and the tv companies?

The six clubs draw the punters in and the TV companies stump up the cash. For every person on here complaining about the current set-up (and I've complained about it a lot), there's tens of thousands of fans* around the world who think Barca/Real/Man City etc are the be-all-and-end-all of football. It would take more than a few seasons of extra TV money for clubs like Ferencvaros, or Dinamo Zagreb to be truly competitive year-on-year.

*When I say "fans", I mean FIFA-playing, youtube video-making, plastic wee VLs, who argue on twitter about whether Messi or Ronaldo is the "GOAT" from their pathetic wee fan accounts. The types who would argue that Paul Pogba is better than Gheorghe Hagi.

Imagine we were playing Real Madrid and were not getting the 2M income from a home tie?

Football is far more exciting in a one off tie but as others have said money rules the roost

I'd normally say aye, get rid of seeding and make it straight knockout, stop catering the tournament to the big sides who already have a huge financial advantage. But with the way things are now, the current set up is arguably more beneficial to us. If we make it to the CL group stages it's a lot of money, and a guaranteed 6 games.

They need to sort the qualification stuff though, we just made it to the last 16 gubbing some big teams along the way and we're expected to qualify all over again. And if im being honest, the champions of the Scottish League should be straight into the CL over fucking 4th place English sides.

Not going to happen - would mean clubs losing 3 possibly 4 full houses and of course the fact that the TV companies would lose a host of important games plus have them all crammed together.

I would say 2 legs is still the fairest way to decide the winner and find the one-legged final can usually be a bit of an anti-climax as there's just too much at stake (see the EPL Championship playoff finals for proof),

Prefer the old European cup set up. Hate all this qualifying, seeding etc all designed to ensure the same teams there at the death
My thoughts exactly. Taking away the seeding system would be step towards a fairer competition. They should at least trial it for a few seasons to see how it goes.

This CL knockout has a world cup feel about it and its excellent.

I've been bored with the CL knockout stages for years before now

Reckon most of these 1 legged ties have been brilliant. Could there be an argument to have all the CL & EL knockout rounds this way from now on? Just a wee 3 week mini tournament in some host country at the end of the season with 1 legged games up until the final?

Reckon it would make the group stages more exciting as well knowing you're qualifying to just be a few weeks worth of ties away from reaching a final.
I agree but there can’t be less fixtures to get to that stage.
Remember, there’d already been two knockout rounds before the one game last eight.
It’d be how we accommodate those fixtures, lost revenue fixtures, into the plan.

I’ve thought the 1 leg ties have been great for forcing both teams to open up and go for it, and for 1 year it has been welcome novelty. However, European football is best when a 2 leg tactical masterpiece triumphs, and I think 2 legs should stay. We would never have reached Manchester on 1 leg ties

Back