Is there anyone not worried?

I think people are just expecting us to win the league by 20 points again and they're lashing out because it isn't looking likely. It was never really going to be that likely.

That's a fair argument.

However, having watched what you've watched thus far, are you not concerned at all about how toothless we're looking going forward and how much more we are conceding in general?

Last season we were scoring from all through the team and keeping clean sheet after clean sheet.
Now we need 20 chances to score a goal and almost every game we concede.
This Rangers team aren't winning the title unless we sort both ends of ths pitch. I wish I knew how to fix it, but anyone not worried is stuck in last season. We've played all the best teams at home, what will our results be like when we visit Parkhead, Easter Road and Tynecastle?
I’d be concerned if we were 4 points behind the animals

Haven’t read the thread so apologies if this has been posted already.
My concern is our mantra of “own the pitch, own the ball and dominate the penalty boxes.” There’s nothing in there about outworking the opposition, tempo or creating opportunities. It’s too passive and I think that shows in our approach.

All this because Roofey hit the post and Alfredo couldnae hit a barn door , they go in its 3-0 with hearts getting an undeserved last minute consolation goal....some on here should grow a pair....

I think if you have to look at the results so far.

5 defeats this season so far. That is very worrying.

We have been poor, it might just be form but I felt we played well in first half. Second half could have been better. I hope this slump ends and your optimism is correct.

Even last season they were still close to us going into the winter period.
With the Motherwell game we came perilously close to having only a 4 or 5 point gap.
Had they won the January match then our lead would have been chopped to 4 points.

As it turned out we extended the lead to 10 and then they dropped 9 points from the next 15 points and that was the end of it.

In Walter's last season to be fair we did win the first 9 matches in the SPL.
Then we drew 1-1 at home with Inverness and 2 weeks later Hibs beat us 3-0 at Ibrox.
We lost home and away to the tims before the final match at Ibrox finished 0-0.
Dundee United also beat us at Ibrox.
We had a draw in Inverness and Hearts beat us at Tynecastle.

The season before after 9 games we had dropped 8 points.
Three 0-0 results back to back and a 1-1 draw at home to Hibs.
When we lost 1-0 at Aberdeen in the 12th match of the season Mowbrays tims were 2 points ahead of us (but we had a game in hand).
14 games later (we dropped another 6 points in that spell) we beat them at Ibrox to go 10 points clear with a game in hand.

Season before that we won the league on the last day with only 86 points. 8 draws and 4 defeats.

As people always say, it's a marathon not a sprint. So if we are going to win the title there will be highs and lows.

The next round of 11 games will be very important. We are away to Tims, Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Aberdeen and Livingston.
What in the f*ck are you going on about? The Motherwell game last season ended with us 16 points ahead

"4 or 5 points" haha

I think if you have to look at the results so far.

5 defeats this season so far. That is very worrying.

We have been poor, it might just be form but I felt we played well in first half. Second half could have been better. I hope this slump ends and your optimism is correct.
The first half performance was the best we've been all season...hearts came at us in the second half which was only to be expected because they were so bad and that much outplayed , that anything would have been an improvement. We've even got posters on here surprised the Ploughbhoys got max. points from Motherwell and dolly.FFS . 56 this season will happen though it won't be as much as 25 points but certainly double figures.Remember we've got the two Ryan's due back imminently as well as big Fil. and Alfredo won't play as badly as that again in his entire carreer. WATP

I would suggest that in some games we've ridden our luck a bit and ground out the result. Today went the other way. I still think we're the best team in the country. We just need to try to get a settled side and cut out the slackness that has crept in this season, at both ends of the pitch. If we lose the league this year it will be down to ourselves, in which case the inevitable change of management and clear out of players will happen.

I'm not worried yet, but we need to start hitting the levels we're capable of more consistently and not just for 20 minute spells of some games.
I’ve been thinking about how to respond to the OP but this covers it pretty well.

I’m relatively comfortable, I think this side has enough to win the title this year. The thing that is holding us back from going out and proving that beyond doubt is this caution, or the “handbreak” that is mentioned frequently on the H&H podcasts. We seem quite determined to play safely within ourselves and not really go for it.. it is resulting in some poor football and a lot of nervy matches - that are then increasing the pressure.

By mid-October we should be flying and the couple of players who will have a great season (and there are always a couple who stand out in any season) should be clear. At the moment the best story is about a new midfield signing who looked ropey in his first matches but seems to have found his stride now.
There’s not someone banging the goals in, or running matches from midfield on a regular basis right now - we badly need it.

Should have said Motherwell at Ibrox.
Yes.

That was the game that ended with us 16 points ahead. What are you not getting here? We won 3-1 and went 16 points ahead. And you are claiming we would have been 4/5 ahead if we hadn't won. I've heard of a 6 point but never a 11/12 pointer which you seem to think that game was.

I appreciate that Stevie had one eye on Thursday, but why he took the most dangerous and creative player on the pitch off, is beyond me.

He made a boob there, big time.

Don’t disagree with any of that, Gub.

Re: Patterson - absolutely. Once upon a time you had a couple of poor performances, that was you on the bench for the next in line no matter who you were.

I guess it becomes more of an issue when it’s your club captain, but I really do think at this point in time the youngster actually offers more in an attacking sense and he should be given his chance.

Will he though? Probably not.
Make someone else the captain . McGregor or Goldson

It’s just not getting any better is it, in fact we are regressing. Can’t score goals, the defence is a shit show, the midfield is a one paced, negative, pedestrian mess and the management take an absolute eternity to actually change things.

Yet more dropped points against an Aberdeen side that had Scott Brown, Ross McCrorie and David Bates in the defence.

On a night that meant so much, that was what the players put in. Embarrassing.

Celtic will be top of the league by the next time we play - which is an away battle against Motherwell. Absolutely no confidence in this group of players right now. Days from November and we have been woeful all season. Your not winning league titles with this current home record.

But hey, at least Celtic are rotten.

Back