Is this team better than Walters UEFA final team?

Is this team better than the UEFA final team?

• Yes

Votes: 738 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 560 42.6%
  • No difference

Votes: 17 1.3%

• Total voters
Think I'm in the minority to reckon that the current team would edge it. That UEFA run was magic, but the EL is a stronger competition now that teams from top 5 leagues take seriously with the auto CL place.

Definately for me . Walters team was solid and full of winners but it lacked pace and flair at times.

As much as I loved that season and will never forget Manchester we won the Scottish Cup and the League Cup that season. 55 was far bigger

The 2008 Euro team reached the final but the football was mostly dire if I recall with a few exceptions. I used to dread Europe back then, now I trust our team to batter teams and show a very good account of themselves.

We'd smash the 08 team.

Two great teams from two different eras.

Football has moved on, as great as the old teams were and as much as we hold them dear, this Rangers team reflects present standards and represents out future aspirations.

They would smash our old teams in an 'home and away' tie.

Exactly how it should be.

Current side is more easier on the eye than when Dick Advocaat was in charge, and that’s saying something.

Far better side than Walters UEFA cup team technically, but obviously way behind in silverware but the way it’s going this side will easily surpass the trophy tally of that side.

A proper team that makes you want to watch them and actually enjoy it!! Been a long time coming!

Might get slated for this but it's not even close. It's the standard of the competition that has seriously gone up. Aberdeen got out the group stages in 08 ffs ...

Look at the team in the finals.
Goalkeeper. Irrelevant
Right back....Kirk Broadfoot or Tav?
Left Back....Papac or Barisic
Centre Back...Cuellar and Weir or Goldson and Helander
Midfield....Hemdami, Ferguson, Thomson or Kamara, Davis, Hagi
Forward.....Whittaker, Davis, Darcheville or Roofe, Kent, Morelos

Our current team is better in every department.

Granted we had peak Hutton for a half season. But the squad depth wasn't there. Boyd, Novo, Cousin, McCulloch, Adam, Naismith, Dailly, Burke, Beasley made up the bulk of the squad. Now, we could put out a second eleven that could compete with the 08 team imo. McLaughlin, Patterson, Katic, Balogun, Bassey, Jack, Lundstram, Arfield, Sakala, Itten, Wright. And then we still have Aribo, Defoe, probably missed a few as well

I'm not trying to put that team down because, they massively played beyond themselves that season, played over 60 games and over achieved massively. The real reason we made the final was Walter Smith

This is as good a Rangers side I’ve seen in my lifetime. Some of the football we play is amazing. This will be a very special season for us all. I’m certain of it

Thinking about the individual battles between these 2 sides, Kent would have Whittaker or Broadfoot on toast but what a colossal battle Alfie vs Weir/Cuellar would be!

Great bump!

I'd still throw my lot in with Walter even though this side play the kind of football you'd never have seen from his sides back then.

Tbh Walters team achieved more in pretty much every aspect. 3 titles in a row, multiple cup wins, a European final etc

Aspects are better, others are worse.

Weir/Cuellar were a sensational pairing. Cuellar a complete stand-out in Scotland. Ferguson and Thomson (and Hemdani) shouldn't be underrated, quality players.

The football we play, our fitness levels, and our technical ability are generally better under Gerrard. Up front and on the wings we are probably stronger, too.

This side is as easy on the eye as wee Dick's, and coached just as well. I think we're on the verge of dominating Scottish football to be quite honest.

Might get slated for this but it's not even close. It's the standard of the competition that has seriously gone up. Aberdeen got out the group stages in 08 ffs ...

Look at the team in the finals.
Goalkeeper. Irrelevant
Right back....Kirk Broadfoot or Tav?
Left Back....Papac or Barisic
Centre Back...Cuellar and Weir or Goldson and Helander
Midfield....Hemdami, Ferguson, Thomson or Kamara, Davis, Hagi
Forward.....Whittaker, Davis, Darcheville or Roofe, Kent, Morelos

Our current team is better in every department.

Granted we had peak Hutton for a half season. But the squad depth wasn't there. Boyd, Novo, Cousin, McCulloch, Adam, Naismith, Dailly, Burke, Beasley made up the bulk of the squad. Now, we could put out a second eleven that could compete with the 08 team imo. McLaughlin, Patterson, Katic, Balogun, Bassey, Jack, Lundstram, Arfield, Sakala, Itten, Wright. And then we still have Aribo, Defoe, probably missed a few as well

I'm not trying to put that team down because, they massively played beyond themselves that season, played over 60 games and over achieved massively. The real reason we made the final was Walter Smith

Tav
Papac
Cuellar
Goldson
Fergie
Kamara
- undecided on the final midfielder tbh

Not sure why you've got Whittaker and Davis down as forwards right enough.

Overall I think our current squad is better than the 2008 team.

More players from this side would get into a combined XI of talent but Sir Walter’s side won a lot more than this side have managed to yet. Let’s see how the next couple of seasons go first.

McGregor (2008 version)

Tav
Goldson
Cuellar
Barisic

Davis (2008 version)
Ferguson
Kamara

Kent
Roofe
Morelos

So 9-3 in favour of the current side.

Davis (arguably as our right 8) and Barry are the only players from that team that get in our current one.

Completely different sort of teams with completey different strengths and weaknesses. Pointless to compare.

Tav
Papac
Cuellar
Goldson
Fergie
Kamara

I reckon Borna over sasa, but maybe depends on the type of game

The 2008 side would be hard to beat in a one off but if both teams were in a league this side would win because of the greater strength in depth. That season ended in heroic failure because we couldn't rotate the players who were dead on their feet.

Tav
Papac
Cuellar
Goldson
Fergie
Kamara

Was just doing a straight comparison, whittaker played right wing ahead of Broadfoot in the final did he not

I was surprised by the poll result when I first saw this today then noticed that the thread was started at the beginning of last season so it made more sense to me. I would have expected the yes votes to be the majority, I do believe we're currently looking at a Rangers team who could be the best team of my generation.

We've had better individuals in the past than some of our current squad but I think we're looking at a special moment in time in terms of the football we play, the strength in depth we have and the foundations laid for it to be sustainable like I've never seen before.

I voted yes, I loved the run in 2008, I loved the times we had in the 90s under Walter but I'm loving this current team a little bit more.

----------McGregor

Tav--Cuellar--Goldson--Barisic

---------Thomson

--Davis--Kamara--Ferguson

-------Kent--Morelos

Alexander
Papac
Patterson
Helander
Aribo
Roofe

I've just pulled that team together from the top of my head and that midfield gives me the jitters. I would not want to be a wee fanny spl jobber having to enter that battle field.

Walter took us to a European Final, and almost a Champions League Final. We love Stevie G, but any comparisons are just misplaced, imo.

I know this thread is more about last year v 2008 but the current team have to back it up and prove that they can go again multiple times.

The core of that side over four seasons got to a European final, won three league titles, three League Cups and three Scottish Cups. The core of the current team so far is a long way off that kind of sustained success.

Walters side were excellent at grinding out results but I was never confident watching them in Europe. Whereas with this team I genuinely expect us to go out and win games in Europe. I‘m still to this day disappointed we didn’t win both games against Benfica, so that says a lot about where we now are as a team in europe.

Tell you one thing, Messi wouldnt be crying about anti-football if he played this lot, he'd be crying about the pasting his team just took.

This team by a mile IMO.

Walters team was great but it had limitations

How many from 2007/08 would get into our current side ?

Cuellar > Helander

I don't think I'd pick many more , peak Barry gets in but 2007 wasn't peak Barry

Davis & McGregor are still here or they would've been contenders

Tav>Hutton
Borna>Papac
Goldson and Weir is a tough call

Kamara> KT
Kent > Any of the wide options

Alfie Vs Boyd is apples and oranges but I'd take Alfie

Roofe> JCD

Ive probably forget someone obvious

This team is better for me, it plays a type of football that is easier on the eye.

However, if the 2 teams were to play each other, whilst I think the current 1 would win, the battle hardened defensive side of the Uefa final team would keep the score more than respectable.

2 or 3-1 to the current squad.

No chance, hard to compare but Walters team went through consistent miracles that year.

This team by a mile IMO.

Walters team was great but it had limitations

How many from 2007/08 would get into our current side ?

Cuellar > Helander

I don't think I'd pick many more , peak Barry gets in but 2007 wasn't peak Barry

Davis & McGregor are still here or they would've been contenders

Tav>Hutton
Borna>Papac
Goldson and Weir is a tough call

Kamara> KT
Kent > Any of the wide options

Alfie Vs Boyd is apples and oranges but I'd take Alfie

Roofe> JCD

Ive probably forget someone obvious
Ferguson is the first name on the team sheet

Back