Is this team better than Walters UEFA final team?

Is this team better than the UEFA final team?

• Yes

Votes: 738 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 560 42.6%
  • No difference

Votes: 17 1.3%

• Total voters
This team hasn't won anything but neither had Walter's team until they had. By the time they played the UEFA final they had won the sum total of one league cup

No, but the current team is better than the 1970's Brazil team. Pele tried and failed to score from his own half, Roofe showed him how it was done.

It’s not even close tbh. We reached a European final in 2008 and should have won a treble

Smith’s team would also have pissed the league the past two seasons

I think that our team of the last 10 years is probably the worst in the history , the worst decade , look at before that we could sign World Cup winners , champions league winners , right now we could never dream of signing a player of that calibar born in the mid 80s a grew up with half the England starting team in our line up , then into the 90s singning gazza and laudrups players who finished top 10/5 balon dor we will never be abel to sign players like that , so I think it will be hard to ever compare a current or future rangers team with teams from the past

Far too early to make these comparisons. This team has a lot to prove the more the season goes deeper; Walter's team proved itself time and again.

We have a far better footballing team now, the only issue to shout about in that team is Barry Ferguson and Greegs but that does not take away the fact that this team is far more creative

Getting to that final was watching tactically dire football, the highlight being Greegs supersave at Werder Bremen
Yes, we’re playing a nicer to watch brand of football today but, would you not settle for Walter’s style if it meant trophies?
We’ve won nothing, yet.

No, haven't won anything yet so have to be judged on that basis.

Might play more confident passing football at times, but all means hee haw if can't convert into medals and silverware.

In 2008 we nearly done a quadruple. We then went on to win 3 league titles on the bounce. Forgive me if I wait until we win something with this team before comparing them to Walters second spell.

We have a far better footballing team now, the only issue to shout about in that team is Barry Ferguson and Greegs but that does not take away the fact that this team is far more creative

Getting to that final was watching tactically dire football, the highlight being Greegs supersave at Werder Bremen
I think Whittakers goal wasn't too bad to be fair.

What do you mean when you say ‘the only issue to shout about in that team is Barry Ferguson and Greegs’?

Once this team wins one trophy, the floodgates will open.

There is something special happening at our club right now and we are only going to keep getting better.

IF we can go on and win the league this year and gain access to that Champions League money its scary to think how good Gerrard could make this team with some real qaulity additions.

The future could be very bright indeed.

The present team is a better football team than Walter's team.
However, at the individual level, Walter's team had a lot of individual mental strength and a collection of players who were able to dig deep emotionally.
However, the present side may well get there, and I have a feeling if they can win the league this season, they will go on to eclipse Walter's team.

European wise, this team have a special something tactically that I can't say I have ever seen from any Rangers team in six decades and it is a huge compliment to the manager and coaching staff that this is so.
'Judge me in Europe' should always be a measure of any Rangers manager IMHO.

Yes, we’re playing a nicer to watch brand of football today but, would you not settle for Walter’s style if it meant trophies?
We’ve won nothing, yet.

walters style domestically at least was certainly functional but it was very effective.

his teams also went on multiple unbeaten runs where we clicked and our style of football was very watchable.

his teams also scored plenty goals.

I would have:
GK -McGregor either way
Walter’s central defence (Weir and Cuellar, although we will see how good this Goldson and Helander partnership can be!)
Gerrard’s full/wing backs
Walter’s midfield
Gerrard’s front 3
Gerrard’s style
Walter’s winning mentality

Different sort of teams I guess but if you could swap this squad for that squad to continue the season, would you ?
just a wee Sunday night poll, Casue the mrs is talking mince lol
May change my mind when we're in the final. But this team wouldn't have allowed the Russians a free run on us.

No, at least not yet.
Once this team lifts silverware though, there is every chance they could go on to equal that side.

No it is not but I think we are seeing year on year improvement.

Two things can stop us this year - ourselves and a fxxking virus.

Nurseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

FFS only 3 points above the mentally challengeds and people are posting absolute nonsense like this.

Obviously hasn’t watched us crumble 2 January’s in a row.

If we are in this same position come the end of May at least it might be up for debate.

Its a far better footballing team. Its actually not even close. Cant believe the voting tbh. What walters team were the superior force at, was tactically. Though the current team are getting there. We had whitaker, Daily, and Darcheville for a start, and dont even get me started on Kirk fucking Broadfoot, who wouldnt even make this squad, never mind start.

Lets not romanticise that team as some all conquering force. We had multiple games of insane amounts of luck, and one of the best goalkeeping performances of all time by McGregor in Germany. As a footballing side though, this team is better. We dominate possession better, we control tempo better and we have a maturity which ive not seen from a Rangers team in about 20yrs

League is much weaker today. Bheasts were stronger. Guys like KT and Ferguson are a level above Jack n Kamara easily. that 2008 team would slap this league silly..this team wouldn't slap the 2008 league.

Its a far better footballing team. Its actually not even close. Cant believe the voting tbh. What walters team were the superior force at, was tactically. Though the current team are getting there. We had whitaker, Daily, and Darcheville for a start, and dont even get me started on Kirk fucking Broadfoot, who wouldnt even make this squad, never mind start.

Lets not romanticise that team as some all conquering force. We had multiple games of insane amounts of luck, and one of the best goalkeeping performances of all time by McGregor in Germany. As a footballing side though, this team is better. We dominate possession better, we control tempo better and we have a maturity which ive not seen from a Rangers team in about 20yrs

With all due respect I think it’s the current side that’s being romanticised here mate. They haven’t managed to mount a title challenge (capitulating at the half way mark twice) or win a trophy, only made 1 cup final out of 4. The UEFA cup final side would have done a treble had the SFA not forced a ridiculous schedule on us, they made just about every cup final and dominated domestically at a time when the league was stronger.

Our current side play more attractive football but football is about winning and Walter’s side were far better at that. I don’t think we were lucky in Europe either, we defended for our lives but I don’t remember us getting any favours or anything. Defending is an art form and we did it brilliantly and having an in form keeper is just part of that. If we’d had luck that keeper would have been available for the final.

Also I couldn’t ridicule the three players mentioned too much - Whittaker was actually quite good for us, and Daily and Darcheville spent the majority of their careers playing at a higher level than the vast majority of our current squad have ever played at. The current side could go on to do something special, but as it stands they’re miles away and have it all to prove. I hope by the end of the season the comparison has a bit more credibility because it’ll have meant that we’re champions again, fingers crossed.

Different sort of teams I guess but if you could swap this squad for that squad to continue the season, would you ?
just a wee Sunday night poll, Casue the mrs is talking mince lol

What a ridiculous suggestion when we’ve not even won a trophy & have totally collapsed in the league after Christmas the last 2 seasons.

Come back in May.

Absolutely not yet, but we're building a squad with the potential to surpass Walter's team in his 2nd spell. If we can win the title and qualify for the CL, the standard of player will increase again. But it's all ifs and buts at this point.

Also, let's not forget that a large percentage of this forum wanted Walter punted at various stages of his 2nd spell and used to bleat that they weren't being entertained enough as he racked up trophy after trophy.

Back