Is this team better than Walters UEFA final team?

Is this team better than the UEFA final team?

• Yes

Votes: 738 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 560 42.6%
  • No difference

Votes: 17 1.3%

• Total voters
Walter's team was a great side. It was physically very tough, had great work capacity, guts, determination and commitment.

For me though, Gerrard's side is the higher quality footballing side. There is an abundance of technical and physical talent in Gerrard's group. The side's performances in Europe, going toe-to-toe (and then some) with at times very high quality opposition, has been very impressive.

Love this team but they will surpass Walter’s when they get to a Euro final!
Playing devils advocate but we didn't win a European final, if for example we won our 6th Champions league game to take us to the knockout round of the Champions League, are you saying that would be "worse" than a 3-0 home loss in said corresponding fixture v Lyon? (Which ultimately facilitated the UEFA cup final run)

We need to get to the CL and progress to the knockout round of course.
But for me, that would be every bit as big an achievement as our run to Manchester, even if no where near as exciting.

gerrard,s record in Europe is phenomenal considering he is a novice in managerial statictics and will this season prove he is up there with the greats as I believe the treble is on.

Playing devils advocate but we didn't win a European final, if for example we won our 6th Champions league game to take us to the knockout round of the Champions League, are you saying that would be "worse" than a 3-0 home loss in said corresponding fixture v Lyon? (Which ultimately facilitated the UEFA cup final run)

We need to get to the CL and progress to the knockout round of course.
But for me, that would be every bit as big an achievement as our run to Manchester, even if no where near as exciting.
I agree with most of what you are saying but in a historic sense it is winners and runners up that are recorded not last sixteen or quarter/semi finalists.
It’s a very academic argument as you can’t really compare teams from era to era when football moves forward and European standards increase but 1972 has to be the pinnacle as winners and Walter’s team were finalists.
Here’s hoping Gerrard leads this team to history like that

Christ what a question,Very different teams strengths and weaknesses,Walters strong and hard to beat Gerrards more skillful and entertaining,That’s what makes football so interesting .

Yes this team are a far better squad/ team, stands out so much, getting to a euro final does not make you a better all round team, circumstances and luck play a huge part.

This team is more potent than what went before could Watties team have put Real Madrid down I don’t think so.

Gerrard’s side are better to watch. But Water’s was better at winning and didn’t crash out of cups in the sort disappointing fashion the current side has. That’s one thing I really hope we put right this season.

I love helander but I genuinely believe Cuellar was one of the best defenders in europe that season, he was world class
Cuellar was told he had to test himself at a higher level if he wanted to play for Spain, he ended up playing right back for Sunderland.

He was brilliant for us, and brilliant business.

I think Helander has the same skill set but is also better on the ball, admittedly the game has advanced so much even in 10 years.

Im just talking about the 1 season not his career, that 1 season there wasn't many better siege defenders around
Cuellar was told he had to test himself at a higher level if he wanted to play for Spain, he ended up playing right back for Sunderland.

He was brilliant for us, and brilliant business.

I think Helander has the same skill set but is also better on the ball, admittedly the game has advanced so much even in 10 years.

Without doubt, this is the strongest SQUAD I have ever seen, taking into account the level of opposition ! Very difficult to say team wise, the Dutch influence was huge some quality in there. Ps.....I'm reasonably auld !!!

Last edited:
Even after last years magnificent season, I’d still be inclined towards Smiths team

However, Gerrards team definitely plays more attractive football and has the potential to exceed what we have managed previously in the CL.

This season could be a defining one.

Wouldn't swap because this one is better to watch.

Would never say that in WS presence tho lol

Helander has been a sensational Rangers player but Cuellar, in his brief time here, was an actual talisman. That said, I can see the argument for the Swede given he's naturally left-sided.

The 2008 team was mostly shite, let’s be honest. The only reason they had the accomplishments they did was because they had the fucking Messiah in charge who knew how to get the most out of every player he had, including utter donkeys like Broadfoot and Whittaker. I love Gerrard but he wouldn’t take the 2008 team past the quarters.

• Wow
Reactions: VGM

This argument is nigh on redundant in the context of a conversation of him v Hellander, and pretty disingenuous of the career Cuellar actually had.

He ended up at Sunderland (so did Jermain Defore by the way) after he had played for an Aston Villa side who finished 6th twice during his time there, and then 9th in a season he played less in a season when he faced injury issues.

By the time he left Aston Villa were in freefall making constant managerial changes, he was 30 years old when he joined Sunderland.

He played for an Osasuna side who finished 4th in La Liga and reached the Semi of the UEFA Cup, a Rangers team who played in a UEFA Cup Final the season after, heights both clubs have rarely hit.

He wanted to play for a Spain squad that went on to have their best period in their history during most of his playing career

The chasm between him and Hellander is a pretty big one really, despite Hellander being a pretty talented player, if you traded the two though and Hellander played for us in 07/08 with Weir, Hellander and Weir as a pair? we don't make a European Final.

Hellander v Cuellar, it isn't even close.

No he wasn't. And in any case a 2007 Barry Ferguson still walks into the team.

2000-2003 Barry was several levels above the 2007 version of Barry Ferguson

He was still a very good player but was definitely past his peak in the strict sense of the term . Injury robbed him of reaching those heights again.

Last edited:
Reactions: VGM
He still walks into our current side, playing a deeper role with all his injuries - he still walks in comfortably.

If your picking a team tomorrow with 2021 Steve Davis & Glen Kamara it's not an easy call to drop one of them for 2007 Barry Ferguson.

Whoever got the nod their isn't a huge amount in it.

Pre-Injury Barry walks into almost any Rangers team but if we're honest he never reached the same level after 2005.

Although 2007-08 was probably his best season in his 2nd spell

Ferguson in 2007-08 would still comfortably be in a best of side, he had changed his style of play to account for his injuries.

For context of the player he still was then you only have to think for a brief second about the 3-0 game against them at Ibrox when he was by a comfortable 15 miles the best player on the park, or his display against Stuttgart at Ibrox when he was again outstanding, as he was at home to Werder Bremen, it isn't that close re him being in a side in all honesty.

2000-2003 Barry was several levels above the 2007 version of Barry Ferguson

He was still a very good player but was definitely past his peak in the strict sense of the term . Injury robbed him of reaching those heights again.
No doubt he was a different level in 03 but he was still a class act in 07. He'd definitely be in my side mate. Davis Kamara Ferguson. Good luck anyone in Scotland trying to get the ball back off those 3.

Went with today's team. I think there would be a minor battering of the 2008 side unless Walter found a way to stop Gerrard's full-backs and protect his own.

Kent vs Broadfoot?
Midfield would be really interesting.
Not enough firepower in Walter's team.

But then Walter...........

Edit: Just remembered Walter had no Greegs that night..............Definitely today's team.

Went with today's team. I think there would be a minor battering of the 2008 side

We faced Stuttgart, Lyon and Barcelona twice that season, Werder Bremen, Sporting, Fiorentina, the same

The only team who really "battered" us was Lyon and it took a player who would go on to lead the line of attack for Real Madrid for the next 10+ years to do it, very, very, very few teams battered that side, they stayed in the fight in the vast majority of games they played, and even did so in the game we were battered.

We faced Stuttgart, Lyon and Barcelona twice that season, Werder Bremen, Sporting, Fiorentina, the same

The only team who really "battered" us was Lyon and it took a player who would go on to lead the line of attack for Real Madrid for the next 10+ years to do it, very, very, very few teams battered that side, they stayed in the fight in the vast majority of games they played, and even did so in the game we were battered.

Question in Poll is the Zenit team. No Greegs, No Cousin, 4-5-1?

Zenit were even missing their main striker.

Edit: just googled it, no Naismith or Hutton either of course.

Back